Rock bass

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by BigBenny, Apr 15, 2021.

1. BigBenny

BigBenny 6 pointer

Jan 14, 2021
    BC
    I was smallie fishing the other day and found myself in a honey hole of 9-11” rock bass, caught 7 in about 10 casts. I never really go to this creek with the intention of keeping fish but all the rock bass got me thinking, maybe they are tasty little buggers? Does anybody eat them?

xbokilla likes this.
  2. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    If u like shell crackers then u will like redeyes.

3. BigBenny

BigBenny 6 pointer

Jan 14, 2021
    BC
    haven’t eaten a shell cracker yet. I like crappies if that means anything

4. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 10 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    They eat pretty well. Make damn good fish tacos!!

BigBenny likes this.
  5. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Good stuff for sure! Fry up a mess.
    If you like it and want more id suggest seining up a bunch of crawdads for bait live bait putting on a small brass hook and fish the brushpiles and root balls on the banks. You'll get snagged a bunch at first but it can be very productive.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    GTbowhunter and BigBenny like this.
  6. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 12 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    They will make fine fish tacos. I have cooked them up on the creek bank for my little nephews

BigBenny likes this.
  7. BigBenny

BigBenny 6 pointer

Jan 14, 2021
    BC
    That’s funny, Tacos is what I was thinking about doing with them. Frying the leftovers if I catch enough for sure! I’ll get some this weekend maybe

beauhunter41031 likes this.
  8. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    Close enough to a bluegill

xbokilla likes this.
  9. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Post up a pic of one.

10. BigBenny

BigBenny 6 pointer

Jan 14, 2021
    BC
    Didn’t happen to take any pics of them last time, I will next time I go out

11. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    Used to catch lots of Redeye's on gold devils in Elkhorn Creek. Back when I was a kid. They're good eating.

Brody and carnivore like this.
  12. There’s a creek channel going from the secondary channel bouys into the first bay north of Blood River that was one of the only spots on Kentucky that I’ve ever caught a Kentucky lol. I’d often catch multiple ones fishing that creek bank.

13. crossfire

crossfire 8 pointer

Jun 13, 2006
    Mayfield, Ky
    Caught a yellow perch in that same channel a couple of years ago. Shocked, although I shouldn't have been I guess. Hadn't seen one of them since the last time I went small mouth fishin on St. Claire.

drakeshooter likes this.
  14. The last few yellow perch state records have come off Kentucky Lake, 1 pound 7 oz currently.

Funny story, I remember like 15+ years ago a woman caught a previous yellow perch record off the dock at Paradise Resort, a few bays to the north of Blood River, right at 1 pound. While bluegill fishing the spawn shortly afterwards I hooked a monster and looked at my buddy and said “I may have a new record here” to which he replied “sure looks it”. We didn’t have a scale that day so we scooted down Blood River to Irvin Cobb and got it weighed on a state certified scale. It weighed in at a shade over 8 oz lmao. A one pounder would have to be a monster and I can’t imagine a pound and a half.

bondhu and barney like this.