Roadside/under bridges

Discussion in 'Trapping' started by Derek Trent, Sep 28, 2021.

1. Derek Trent

Derek Trent Fawn

Aug 17, 2019
    Carter county
    Does anyone know the rules and regs on trapping beneath bridges or just in around state highways etc?

2. Trapper Delk

Trapper Delk 12 pointer

Feb 10, 2020
    Central Kentucky.
    Keep'em outta sight or they'll be gone!
    Have to have permission someone owns the land

3. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Guarding my lovely bluebirds

No Sir, but I did locate this for you:

"Railroad tracks and rights of way are privately owned property and permission to hunt, fish or trap must be obtained prior to entry. (KRS 150:192)"

They need to do a better job with their database, getting rid of all of the pdf files.

Travis Thacker and Derek Trent like this.
  4. Travis Thacker

Travis Thacker Spike

Sep 1, 2018
    Corbin KY
    If it's a right of way it's usually private but the watershed is considered public. If you access via boat your good to water trap only. If you access via land you need permission from the land owner. P.S. expect any body grips to be stolen if not hidden well. Use drowning wire sets or small #220 #110 grips that are to small to be spotted out right. Hide your sets, watch your sets via game game...........any 4 or 2 legged trap stealing animals must be dispatched on site with .22 caliber or larger and preferable suppressed for better community outreach.

Derek Trent likes this.
  5. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Might catch a bunch of homeless

6. Derek Trent

Derek Trent Fawn

Aug 17, 2019
    Carter county
    The watershed being public was basically my question that I didn’t know I was asking. That helps I’m trying to get into some mink.

7. Travis Thacker

Travis Thacker Spike

Sep 1, 2018
    Corbin KY
    Believe this or not Mink spend more time on land then one would think. Wait till the water is down and use #220 sets in bank holes on the high bank. I've caught Otter that way as well but a #220 wont always kill and Otter. Best Mink bait that worked for me was fresh Muskrat meat and glands. Problem with the #220's is that people take them and they are so easy to spot in a hole if you do an easy fast set up. It takes work to hide the trap deeper into a hole and then drivers see you setting them and the flee market brigade decides your traps are their flee market money maker.

Derek Trent likes this.
  8. huntingwildman

huntingwildman 6 pointer

Feb 13, 2007
    Paducah
    Watershed is not public on a non-navigable stream.....Many deeds go the center or right through the creeks, which means you can't be on those waters without permission.

Navigable waters are public as stated above, but permission is needed if you get out of the boat.

9. Travis Thacker

Travis Thacker Spike

Sep 1, 2018
    Corbin KY
    Navigable waters can get confusing for some folks. It's why I mentioned named rivers and larger streams. Usually the navigable part means a boat with a motor or boat in a size class but each state has it's own definition of navigable water way and it gets complicated. KY is not as bad as many other states when it comes to this and many streams are included on the list of wild rivers and streams.

10. Snareman2

Snareman2 12 pointer

Feb 25, 2007
    Trapping, you’ve got to anchor to stuff, so you better know where you are at all times. It’s not worth getting on somebody you are not supposed to. A lot of people will give you permission, as long as you are decent about it. I try to treat places like I want mine treated, be responsible and it will show. JMHO

Travis Thacker and Trapper Delk like this.
  11. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville
    Been seeing a bunch of mink on the river this year.