Rio steel shot

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by 3dguy, Nov 3, 2013.

1. 3dguy

3dguy Fawn

Jan 13, 2010
    Has anyone used any Rio steel shot? I know it's cheaper than the Hevi-Metal that I'm currently shooting but I'm wondering about the performance.

2. Wampuscat

Wampuscat 10 pointer

Apr 10, 2009
    Louisville
    Let me start with i hate cheap steel in general. Kents are filthy shooting, Fiochi is french for garbage, experts? nothing expert about that. "insert someone elses expert opinion on cheap shells thats completely oposite"

That said, i have had 0 issue's from Rio's and they pattern well. I am sure at some point they will prove me wrong, but i have shot about 5 boxes and have been 100% satisfied

3. creekfisher1

creekfisher1 Fawn

Nov 27, 2007
    Shelby County
    3", 1 1/8 oz 2's at Gander Mtn near bowling green for 9.50 bx, 1 1/4 oz for 10. Cant beat the prices but I am unfamiliar with the performance, I also am likely to try these at some point... I bet the 1 1/8 oz will flat out swat em!

4. artcarney_agr

artcarney_agr Banned

Oct 9, 2007
    I just looked them up, and seem to be about 16% cheaper than the same size Winchester Xpert.

May have to get a box and do some pattern testing.

I take it that they don't advertise and that's what keeps the price lower than others?

5. 3dguy

3dguy Fawn

Jan 13, 2010

I think im gonna get a cpl boxes and try them. I usually shoot Hevi Metal but im thinkin bout patterning some of the Rios to see how they do, especially for the price.

6. Triton

Triton 10 pointer

Dec 7, 2006
    Highway to HELL
    I just shot 15 boxes in North Dakota. They patter just as good as the Kent's I shoot. I loved em. Not a bad price either.

7. Greenhead Rocker

Greenhead Rocker 6 pointer

Feb 23, 2006
    Columbia, Ky
    Do they burn clean or dirty?? Compared to Kent and Federal Blue Box...

8. Triton

Triton 10 pointer

Dec 7, 2006
    Highway to HELL
    They seemed to be about the same as the kent to me.

9. oddfellow1976

oddfellow1976 6 pointer

Jul 26, 2012
    Rio.jpg

I bought a box because they were on sale just to see how they patterned. In my Super X3 with factory modified choke i had 89 pellets on paper (36" x 36") at 30 yards and one slug hole from the wadding. The round was a 3" #2, 1 1/4oz. So that means approximately 155 pellets in the shell. So i'm guessing in the neighborhood of 50 pellets stayed in the wad as the hole went all the way through the plywood my target was taped against. So my suggestion is unless you have a wad stripping choke tube like a patternmaster, then don't waste your time on these.

Also just to make sure it wasn't one bad round I tried a couple more and all three similar results

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  10. Wampuscat

Wampuscat 10 pointer

Apr 10, 2009
    Louisville
    Odd fellow I appreciate thoroughness. Can I ask you what loads pattern well in your sx3? 28" barrel?

11. artcarney_agr

artcarney_agr Banned

Oct 9, 2007
    Thank you for posting this!

12. oddfellow1976

oddfellow1976 6 pointer

Jul 26, 2012
    I've got a 26" barrel in my SX3. Yesterday I also patterned 3.5" #2, 1 9/16 oz Dryloks (the new black box) and they patterned pretty well. 85% in a 30" circle at 30 yards with factory modified choke. And surprisingly 3" #1, 1 1/4oz Xperts patterned between 85-90% (3 shots) in a 30" circle at 30 yards mod choke. 3" #2, 1 1/8oz Xperts had a pretty good percentage but the shot wasn't evenly dispersed. Last year I patterned the Black Cloud Snow Goose load and it seemed like they patterened pretty good to 40 yards with mod choke but i don't remember the percentages.

Wampus, do you shoot a SX3? If so what do you usually shoot? Any good or bad pattern that you know of? I just bought a case of Kent's because I found them cheap and my buddy shoots them through his SX3 and loves them.

13. Wampuscat

Wampuscat 10 pointer

Apr 10, 2009
    Louisville
    I have a 28" sx2 that's seen about a million rounds. Mine patterns the rios well but the experts are terrible. Hit to miss on those black clouds, though I think when those hit they have good knock down. Shot a case of hevi-metal last year, got them on sale at Rogers. Didn't care for them only due to consistency. I agree with you on the drylocks, love them, but so does Winchester. They are ridiculously priced.

This years order- 1case of 3"rios #2 then 4-5 boxes of miscellaneous 3.5"

14. gobbles

gobbles Fawn

Apr 30, 2013
    Wampuscat, I shoot an SX3 with a 28 inch barrel also. I patterned a few loads and the HEVI-Metal 3" #2 performed the best with 138 pellets in a 24x24 inch board at 30 yards. Since the tungsten pellets are smaller there are more pellets in each shell so you end up with more pellets in the pattern.

15. Wampuscat

Wampuscat 10 pointer

Apr 10, 2009
    Louisville
    No problems with the patten, but out of 10 boxes I had about 7-10 shells that did not fire or fired with enough force to barely get the shot out of the barrel. That's frustrating if you pay so much for steel shot and pack them on 2000 mile hunting trips. Even if you aren't taking trips your shots on waterfowl are not easy to come by in Kentucky. You should have a reasonable expectation all 25 rounds will fire. One jam with a bowed up group of ducks in your sights will make you want to write a strongly worded letter.

The cheapest .22 rifle ammo won't have that ratio of bad rounds

Given my druthers I'd shoot the most expensive shells on the shelf but I already spend a small fortune on waterfowl. I'm happy with $100 case (with coupon) of rios...for now.