Rifle scope

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
No way I would agree with that statement. If you think Simmons, bushnell and the other far east scopes have better glass than older Khales, Swarovski, zeiss, leupold and schmidt & bender, you should look through some of the oldies.
I gotta agree with you, while "cheap" scopes these days are far better than 20 years ago, they don't compare with high end glass... But, $150 scopes of now are serviceable, no doubt.

xbokilla

12 pointer
Jun 28, 2012
Well many that are considered “cheap scopes” these days weren’t considered cheap 20-30 years ago. Once there’s a market to convince people to pay more they will. Just watch, the best crossbow scopes to this point have been made by Truglo, but watch as they gain popularity, how the high dollar brands will step in and soon people will be buying a crossbow package and some will say, “Take that piece of crap Truglo off and throw it away and put (insert big name scope) on it.” I can remember when a BSA was a hot scope then suddenly the industry decided they were crap. Heck my dad has a refurbished BSA that was a high dollar scope at one time (probably not $100 now) that he has on a 308 Norma Mag. It’s flat out awesome, the clarity, especially at long distances. Most people wouldn’t think of putting a BSA on a gun, especially not a Norma Mag! Leupold, Redfield, Zeiss, etc...exceptional scopes, no doubt. But Bushnell, Weaver, Nikon, etc...aren’t pieces of junk like the industry and some people want you to believe.

predator1

12 pointer
Dec 25, 2008
Glasgow,Ky
Well many that are considered “cheap scopes” these days weren’t considered cheap 20-30 years ago. Once there’s a market to convince people to pay more they will. Just watch, the best crossbow scopes to this point have been made by Truglo, but watch as they gain popularity, how the high dollar brands will step in and soon people will be buying a crossbow package and some will say, “Take that piece of crap Truglo off and throw it away and put (insert big name scope) on it.” I can remember when a BSA was a hot scope then suddenly the industry decided they were crap. Heck my dad has a refurbished BSA that was a high dollar scope at one time (probably not $100 now) that he has on a 308 Norma Mag. It’s flat out awesome, the clarity, especially at long distances. Most people wouldn’t think of putting a BSA on a gun, especially not a Norma Mag! Leupold, Redfield, Zeiss, etc...exceptional scopes, no doubt. But Bushnell, Weaver, Nikon, etc...aren’t pieces of junk like the industry and some people want you to believe.
BSA is crap. Had one on a muzzleloader before. It was a great scope I’d have sworn by. Till it let me down. Had a 130” buck standing broadside at 100yds. Cranked it from 3x to 9x and watched my crosshairs go from + to an X instantly. I was mortified and didn’t dare risk the shot. It would rotate with the zoom dial every time I tried after that. Never again have I purchased anything below a Nikon or Bushnell Elite. Now everything I own has either Weaver Grand Slams or Leupold on them.

xbokilla

12 pointer
Jun 28, 2012
BSA is crap. Had one on a muzzleloader before. It was a great scope I’d have sworn by. Till it let me down. Had a 130” buck standing broadside at 100yds. Cranked it from 3x to 9x and watched my crosshairs go from + to an X instantly. I was mortified and didn’t dare risk the shot. It would rotate with the zoom dial every time I tried after that. Never again have I purchased anything below a Nikon or Bushnell Elite. Now everything I own has either Weaver Grand Slams or Leupold on them.

Just depends. Dad has about $65 in it rings and all refurbished and never had an issue. Have seen him drop many a deer at 200+ yds. Not saying it’s a “good scope” just saying not everything has to have a high dollar tag to work. There’s plenty of people that think Weaver and Bushnell are junk. I have one of each and like them. My brother is probably the most knowledgeable person on these matters I know in person and he says Weaver makes the best rings. He’s got several Leupold scopes but Weaver rings. Who knows? My point is once they know there’s a market they’ll push it. Like I stated, TruGlo has easily been the best crossbow scope to this point, now I’m seeing Hawke jump in. Pretty soon the big namers will convince people TruGlo is crap.

Last edited:

Ataulbe1

12 pointer
Oct 27, 2017
Estill County
Just depends. Dad has about $65 in it rings and all refurbished and never had an issue. Have seen him drop many a deer at 200+ yds. Not saying it’s a “good scope” just saying not everything has to have a high dollar tag to work. There’s plenty of people that think Weaver and Bushnell are junk. I have one of each and like them. My brother is probably the most knowledgeable person on these matters I know in person and he says Weaver makes the best rings. He’s got several Leupold scopes but Weaver rings. Who knows? My point is once they know there’s a market they’ll push it. Like I stated, TruGlo has easily been the best crossbow scope to this point, now I’m seeing Hawke jump in. Pretty soon the big namers will convince people TruGlo is crap.
I put a cheap BSA 4x on a muzzleoader back in high school. Used it for 10 years with zero issue. Held zero well and never fogged on me. Knowing what I know now I'd probably never buy another one, but have to say that particular one I had no complaints about. Still have that scope around here somewhere...

xbokilla

12 pointer
Jun 28, 2012
I put a cheap BSA 4x on a muzzleoader back in high school. Used it for 10 years with zero issue. Held zero well and never fogged on me. Knowing what I know now I'd probably never buy another one, but have to say that particular one I had no complaints about. Still have that scope around here somewhere...

Yep, I am in the market for a couple of scopes. I may do Nikon or cheaper Leupold (like under $300) but I just can’t drop no $500+ on a scope.

riverboss

12 pointer
Jan 26, 2009
northern ky
I can rember putting tascos on everything yrs ago. I've never had one of the fail me, never! But I won't buy them anymore.
I still have a couple prong horn scopes they work great but I can see the glass quality isn't there.
Never owned a Nikon always like the Bushnell's better, but now I've been buying the vortex scopes lately and have been very pleased even with they're low end scopes.

Carl

12 pointer
Dec 1, 2003
Western Kentucky
I can rember putting tascos on everything yrs ago. I've never had one of the fail me, never! But I won't buy them anymore.
I still have a couple prong horn scopes they work great but I can see the glass quality isn't there.
Never owned a Nikon always like the Bushnell's better, but now I've been buying the vortex scopes lately and have been very pleased even with they're low end scopes.
I have heard some good reviews on this Centerpoint scope.. It is supposed to be very clear. It is built for a spring air rifle so it should hold up on any powder burner. Walmart sells them. https://www.walmart.com/ip/CenterPo...th-Precision-Lock-Turrets-LR312SFT2/578419421. I found some on eBay for 58 dollars. I have owned several Centerpoint scopes. Some are good and some are not. This one is supposed to be a winner.
Lots of features for the price, including etched glass and side focus.
The CenterPoint 3-12x44mm PLT rifle scope offers reliability to satisfy even the most demanding hunters and shooters. The CenterPoint scope features a Ballistic 3x6 reticle with MOA subtensions, etched glass, multi-coated lenses and a one-piece 30mm tube body. The Precision Lock Turrent (PLT) system allows quick parallax side adjustments for fine tuning of the sight image from any shooting position. The CenterPoint scope is 100 percent waterproof, fog proof and shockproof, and includes Picatinny rings. CenterPoint 3-12x44mm PLT rifle scope has a Limited Lifetime Warranty

Last edited:

riverboss

12 pointer
Jan 26, 2009
northern ky
I have heard some good reviews on this Centerpoint scope.. It is supposed to be very clear. It is built for a spring air rifle so it should hold up on any powder burner. Walmart sells them. https://www.walmart.com/ip/CenterPo...th-Precision-Lock-Turrets-LR312SFT2/578419421. I found some on eBay for 58 dollars. I have owned several Centerpoint scopes. Some are good and some are not. This one is supposed to be a winner.
Lots of features for the price, including etched glass and side focus.
The CenterPoint 3-12x44mm PLT rifle scope offers reliability to satisfy even the most demanding hunters and shooters. The CenterPoint scope features a Ballistic 3x6 reticle with MOA subtensions, etched glass, multi-coated lenses and a one-piece 30mm tube body. The Precision Lock Turrent (PLT) system allows quick parallax side adjustments for fine tuning of the sight image from any shooting position. The CenterPoint scope is 100 percent waterproof, fog proof and shockproof, and includes Picatinny rings. CenterPoint 3-12x44mm PLT rifle scope has a Limited Lifetime Warranty
I've heard the same thing about them.
Only negative thing I've heard was they are very heavy.

xbokilla

12 pointer
Jun 28, 2012
Don’t know if it was this same one or not Carl but Walmart in Frankfort had several Centerpoints on sale for like $30 when I was in there the other day.

1wildcatfan

12 pointer
Jan 2, 2009
raised n Bullitt Co.
Should check out the Meopta scopes. Also, no one ever mentions Nightforce scopes on here.
Seems a lot on here put $75-$200 scopes on their hunting rifles but spend a lot of money on anything hunting (corn, etc.). IMO, this is cutting corners and pinching pennies on the most important part of the hunting gear. Everyone has to do what's right for themselves financially, but once you look through a really good scope, it's hard to put down.

454Casull

6 pointer
Oct 20, 2006
Woodford County
Should check out the Meopta scopes. Also, no one ever mentions Nightforce scopes on here.
Seems a lot on here put $75-$200 scopes on their hunting rifles but spend a lot of money on anything hunting (corn, etc.). IMO, this is cutting corners and pinching pennies on the most important part of the hunting gear. Everyone has to do what's right for themselves financially, but once you look through a really good scope, it's hard to put down.
I completely agree, once you look through good glass it's hard to use anything less. I also like the Meopta. I have one that I just love. I got a great deal on it a couple of years ago and would love to have another one or two. I also have a couple Minox and Styrka, which I like also. Neither are as good as the Meopta, but didn't cost what the Meopta does, but still good.
One other thing out optics is not whether they hold zero, but clarity. You can see so much better with good optics, scope or binoculars and you don't realize it until you experience it.

Velvet ears

8 pointer
Nov 6, 2013
West KY
I just can't see spending $500 on a scope that I will use 2 weeks out of the year. Maybe if it was on something I used to deer hunt and hunt other things...maybe. As long as it doesn't fog up, stay focused, and doesn't go off center just from touching it, I am fine with shooting whatever. I've put down many deer through the years using a cheap 3x9 Bushnell. Haven't missed one yet. Got a cheap BSA on my Ruger 10/22. I have not had a single problem out of it either.

Latest posts