Attachments

• 6500C359-FB74-46D3-A046-0C9F254595C9.jpeg
    6500C359-FB74-46D3-A046-0C9F254595C9.jpeg
    557 KB · Views: 52

Kylongrifle32

6 pointer
Jan 13, 2019
Owen co.
That's a nice collection. You are lucky.

I have hunted this rifle for 22 years rain or shine. I don't recall to many deer getting out of sight before they fell. The 270 is just as effective with 130 grain bullets. Hunted with a 270 Remington ADL for about 10 years prior to the 7mm-08.

JDMiller

12 pointer
Jun 12, 2005
" Between the Rivers "
As most know……I’m fond of Winchesters.

The first pic is my absolute favorite.. a model 70 stainless featherweight in 30-06 topped with a 3x9 Leupold. It’s accounted for several whitetails, 6x7 Ky bull elk (daughter used this rifle on her elk hunt) & this August I used it on a nice antelope in New Mexico at 325 yds. It’s made a lot of good memories.

The second pic is a Winchester XPR Compact Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor with a 3x9 Vortex. Which the backstory on this one is I was going to buy this rifle to take on my antelope hunt and literally couldn’t find one… so I took the model 70. Then about a month ago I stumbled across one and bought it with a good intention to give it to my grandson when he’s old enough to start deer hunting.

I zeroed the scope in about two weeks ago and decided to pack it hunting last Friday as the first time for it to be in the field. Needless to say … first time out…. I killed a decent buck with it. It’s surprisingly accurate and have to admit I like the light recoil and overall weight of the rifle with a 20” inch barrel. I may keep this one and buy my grandson another just like it. It’s just about right for hunting out of ground blinds.

446002BE-AF2D-4017-80B8-246F9F83CA22.jpeg

FB4A0F8C-5CBF-4754-961E-0DBBF4CF1EB6.jpeg

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
As most know……I’m fond of Winchesters.

The first pic is my absolute favorite.. a model 70 stainless featherweight in 30-06 topped with a 3x9 Leupold. It’s accounted for several whitetails, 6x7 Ky bull elk (daughter used this rifle on her elk hunt) & this August I used it on a nice antelope in New Mexico at 325 yds. It’s made a lot of good memories.

The second pic is a Winchester XPR Compact Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor with a 3x9 Vortex. Which the backstory on this one is I was going to buy this rifle to take on my antelope hunt and literally couldn’t find one… so I took the model 70. Then about a month ago I stumbled across one and bought it with a good intention to give it to my grandson when he’s old enough to start deer hunting.

I zeroed the scope in about two weeks ago and decided to pack it hunting last Friday as the first time for it to be in the field. Needless to say … first time out…. I killed a decent buck with it. It’s surprisingly accurate and have to admit I like the light recoil and overall weight of the rifle with a 20” inch barrel. I may keep this one and buy my grandson another just like it. It’s just about right for hunting out of ground blinds.

View attachment 107460
View attachment 107461
I have the exact same XPR in 350 L. The first I had was a dumpster fire but Winchester made it right.

I love Model 70.

JDMiller

12 pointer
Jun 12, 2005
" Between the Rivers "
I have the exact same XPR in 350 L. The first I had was a dumpster fire but Winchester made it right.

I love Model 70.
There’s absolutely no comparison on the XPR vs the model 70 concerning actions. The model 70 is like butter and the XPR is not. Which my model 70 I bought new in 2012.. it was made in South Carolina at the FN plant when they bought Winchester & Browning around 2007. They brought the model 70’s back to the pre-64 specs with the controlled round feed / Mauser claw type bolt. The quality when they were built here was best I’ve seen even compared to actual pre-64 rifles. Now FN has moved most of their Browning / Winchester production to Portugal. Which is where the XPR is also made.

Accuracy wise & barrel…. They’re both shooters and no doubt can shoot better than I can even shoot them. Which surprised me a little on the XPR being more or less their value oriented model to compete with Savage Axis & Ruger American.

It’s actually a nice rifle and growing on me a little more each day.

Scoony

6 pointer
Nov 7, 2003
Radcliff
Here is a Ruger No. 1 that I customized this past year. I had PacNor install a 6mm CM barrel threaded for suppressor use. I got the stock set from MPI and had to do some modifications to fit it and bed the forearm. I also did the paint job. The scope is a SWFA 3-15. Local gunsmith milled the EGW scope rail to fit the scope with low rings.

ZJGpQSI.jpg

vM1cFXq.jpg