Rifle for a 10 yr old girl

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Chester, Nov 27, 2012.

1. dpowers

dpowers 6 pointer

Jun 26, 2009
    Shelbyville
    I just bought my son a H&R handi in .44. He could not hold my marlin but can the handi. He has to shot with sticks.

2. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    You should let her shoot your ML a few times with a slightly reduced load. Michaela loves to shoot my Triumph with a 75 grain charge and hollowpoint bullets. Out to 70 yards, about as far as we can shoot at either blind, the scope is still on.

3. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    get her a 17 HMR so she can play with it all year and develop good shooting habits. no recoil+no flinching, flat shooting and just fun to shoot. shoot soda bottles and milk jugs filled with water for some good visual affects.

4. Strutter

Strutter Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001
    USA.
    Be sure and get her some good hearing protection. That is what scares kids more than recoil I think. The 243 has a pretty good crack to it and if it scares her, she will flinch and dread pulling the trigger.

5. WhitetailWarrior53081

WhitetailWarrior53081 8 pointer

Aug 3, 2009
    I worried about the .223 too, and truthfully it may not be the most ideal deer round, but I bought my son a youth model single shot New England Arms Pardner Handi-rifle in .223 for his first deer gun. The gun is light, short, made for smaller shooters and it was cheap (I gave $150 for it used). Its also a tack-driver. Its one of the most accurate guns in my cabinet...period. This may not be the case with all these rifles, but his is deadly accurate and he is deadly accurate with it as well. He can cut the same hole at 50 yards with it. It is important also to say that he had been shooting air rifles and a .22 since he was old enough to do so. He is a natural shot, and had some shooting experience. The thing is if you get a .223 its all about shot placement and the bullets you use. You have to use bullets designed for deer hunting. Varmint rounds are no good for deer hunting. I went with a bonded core bullet, the Federal Fusion. I also will keep his shots within 50 yards, give or take a little, so I'm confident he can make a good killing shot. He shot a buck with it last year and the setup did great. The deer was looking right at us at about 10 yards quartering slighly away, not an ideal angle, but at that range I told him to shoot. He hit it in the middle of the center brisket and the left leg. The bullet went through the brisket, through the vitals, and into the opposite ribs. The deer went nowhere!

My boy was 8 when I got him this rifle. i didn't think he was ready for a big caliber, or big stocked gun, because he wasn't the biggest kid in the world. Your daughter is 10, so she may be able to handle a bigger gun. It depends on her size and ability. The most important thing, I think, is when young hunters are starting out is for them to be comfortable shooting their gun. Too much recoil can shake them and make them nervous about shooting. Their accuracy and fun will suffer too. The .223 is about as light of a recoil as you can get in a legal deer hunting gun. I think I could probably shoot his gun one-handed. But get her something she can handle comfortably. If you think she needs something as light as a .223 go for it. She will probably be able to move up to a bigger caliber before long. But if you think she can handle a bigger gun now, then maybe you might look at something a little bigger than a .223. Glad to hear she wants to hunt. We need more kids hunting.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  6. Davidlondon4

Davidlondon4 12 pointer

Dec 2, 2004
    Laurel County

Your comment describes the buck I took this year.About a 75 yard shot with a .243 85 grain round.Deer moved maybe 25 yards and was done for.No exit wound and his insides were shattered.

7. 150PandY

150PandY BBBC Members

Sep 9, 2004
    Frankfort, KY, USA.
    Sorry I was at work, recoil isn't bad at all. My other son who was 6 at the time shot it and didn't complain. I sighted it in then let them shoot it a few times to make sure he was accurate enough to harvest a deer.
    I bought it at ky outdoorsman in Corbin.
    I think with red dot and all it was just over $300 the stock was $50. But I figured it would be passed down to he other two eventually so it was an investment. He was able to shoot a 1" group at 50 yards. Hope this helps.

8. jayder85

jayder85 10 pointer

I tell ya. The tradition of parent to child that I have known of many a 30-30 lever action would make me want to choose it. Not to mention it is a good smaller caliber that has been proven to cleanly and quickly kill many a deer.

If not that then a good 243 would be a good gun for her as well.

9. closingthedistance

closingthedistance Fawn

Jun 16, 2009
    I've always hunted with a 243, started out using core lok's but they didn't do enough damage. Once I switched to the Winchester supreme 95 grain ballistic tip all those problems went away. Devastating round for deer and there is little to no recoil. Does have a loud crack, as everyone else has said hearing protection would help.

10. Buck Daddy

Buck Daddy 6 pointer

Dec 26, 2010
    Same gun my boys use. Can't go wrong. My oldest son is 12 & has taken three deer with it. Didn't have to put a tracking job on any of them. Don't let people talk you out of a 243. It's a great cal gun. She will be able to use it for years.

11. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    Started my two sons out when they were 9 with a 243.They and i both still hunt with a 243.We use 80 grain lead nose and it gets the job done.The 243 dont have much recoil and does the job.I hunt Elk with mine out West and it gets the job done on Elk also.

12. Chester

Chester 6 pointer

Oct 28, 2012
    Somewhere
    I really appreciate all the responses guys. I ordered her the H&R 243 single shot...after talking to some people and your responses it seems like a good gun for the price and she can grow into as she gets older.

I have hunted by myself for the past several years and I am pretty excited to get a hunting buddy!

13. robert

robert Fawn

Jan 24, 2009
    eastern ky
    i have model 99 savage it is a 250 sav cal and it has very little recoil it would be great starter rifle if you could finf one.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  14. WhitetailWarrior53081

WhitetailWarrior53081 8 pointer

Aug 3, 2009
    A .243 is a good choice. Its actually what I started out looking for, but ended up stumbling up on the .223. I hope she gets to put it to use on some deer. Nothing is quiet as exciting as seeing your kid take their first deer. It will be the most excited you will ever be in the deer woods! :D

15. sterling

sterling 6 pointer

Oct 14, 2009
    Mt. Sterling,Ky
    Check out a Rossi Wizard youth model. As far as I know it is the only youth gun that can use multiple calibers,anything from a .22 to a 30-06 and shotgun barrels. It is a gun for all seasons and the gun can grow with the kid. I got one with 223 barrel and my 7 year old killed a buck and a doe with it this year and neither deer ran further than 50 yards using Winchester ballistic 50 grain bullets. It is a very accurate gun!