Riding 4 Wheelers

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by ky.longbeard, Nov 4, 2019.

1. rockhousehunter

rockhousehunter 10 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    West Liberty, Ky
    I agree with most of that. There's no doubt mature bucks are different animals. The only thing I would debate and I've done both, is that I'm not sure walking to a stand is a better tactic than driving close to one or dropping off. I often think that the driving, since is brazen and out there, is less troubling for a deer when encountered than a deer encountering a hunter trying to "sneak" in. Deer encounter 4 wheelers throughout the year in many places, they don't encounter a human sneaking in the dark all year in those same places. I think they know they are hunted even more by sneaking than the out in the open driving. With that said, I'm still in the habit of walking most of the way or all of the way but definitely would let someone swing by and drop me off when possible. I have killed several "mature" bucks both ways, like I said before, my biggest to date, I was dropped off right at the stand and killed him less than 30 minutes later. We're none wrong, just our personal experiences. My take is just do what's best for you and enjoy.

2. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    I drive mine right to the stand. My health does not permit me to walk up the hill anymore. Or I hunt out of the old abandend house on my property.

3. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    When I do wear it I wear Tink's 69.

Bubbles and rockhousehunter like this.
  4. rockhousehunter

Oct 18, 2013
    West Liberty, Ky
    That's why you get all the gals, lol. My dad's friend turned over a bottle of fox urine years ago in the truck and that smell stayed in the carpet for years in spite of all he done to cleanse it, lol.

elkaholic likes this.
  5. Munson

Munson 12 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Heck I wish I could get someone to drop me off at my stand by wheeler! Especially if you been using it to haul that yeller gold!

6. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    I would have ripped the carpet out and got new.. No way I'm smelling that , I can just imagine the stink on a hot humid day.

rockhousehunter likes this.
  7. Campfire

Campfire 6 pointer

Oct 24, 2019
    Camp
    Maybe we should just start an Uber service for deer hunters. Just get an Ap so can drop off pick up hunters at their stands. Even supply scents We could use that truck with the fox urine. Lmao. Times have changed another 20 years we be riding drones in well wait I guess that make them something other than drones. If I’m able to hunt in 20 years I’ll defenitely be riding or being dropped. Lol

8. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Curious as to why walking past a mature buck is less detrimental than riding a 4 wheeler past one.

rockhousehunter likes this.
  9. Campfire

Campfire 6 pointer

Oct 24, 2019
    Camp
    I think both would be bad. I would also think that a 4 wheeler makes lot more noise and can be heard lot further away. Also would think that any vehicle carries a lot of odors so if it is parked near a stand or blind just extra scent that could be detected. Also think much easier to pattern a vehicle traveling in and out which would effect additional “sets” from same stand/blind

10. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I believe it’s about what they’re use to hearing,as someone said.I was in a tree stand ,several years ago ,I had two does come in and bed down ,not far from me, somebody started a four wheeler up ,and went down a ridge two or three hundred yards away. The two does stood up ,and as the four wheeler went down the ridge, the deer starred in the direction,and moved their head following ,the direction of the four wheeler. When the four wheeler was gone ,the deer turned and went in the opposite direction .

11. rockhousehunter

Oct 18, 2013
    West Liberty, Ky
    Sure they make more noise but so what, deer have trails beside interstates and cross them all the time. I also think they could smell the extra scent from them but thats not the question, the question is would they associate that with danger, I'll say nope.

12. rockhousehunter

Oct 18, 2013
    West Liberty, Ky
    I actually love that idea. I'll keep my side by side on the trailer and be ready to help anyone to wherever they want to go, lol. Also if its big ridges you may have way less scent spread around with a 4 wheeler because you're not wet and sweating and spreading that scent around.

13. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    A friend of mine long ago put a bluegill under the floor mat in my truck. I was was going to dump a bottle of tinks in his vents in his car, but never did.

Bubbles likes this.
  14. Mt Pokt

Mt Pokt 8 pointer

Nov 8, 2018
    Campbell County
    About 3 weeks ago, I coast my 4 wheeler down the ridge to within about 40 yards from my blind and walk the rest of the way. I get up in the blind and get organized. Open 3 of the 4 windows that I can shoot from, then when I open the back window this young spike buck is standing right outside the window. Not 15 minutes after I parked the bike and climbed up in the blind. He's within 10 yards and is watching me. I figure I'm busted, but after the staring contest he moves on. He gets up the hill to the point where he can see my bike and it startles him. He takes a minute or two to decide it's not a threat, raises his flag, and walks off in the opposite direction. Doesn't blow, snort, or stomp. Just moseyed off with his flag raised.
    I ride my bike to check cameras, fill feeders, and clear trails pretty regularly. I'd say they're pretty accustomed to it. But they're not used to it coming around an hour or two before sunrise.
    I think I'll be sneaking in afoot before daylight. If I bump them on the way in, they'll be forgiving and return by the time the sun comes up. I hope...

Trophyspike and kyoutdoorsman like this.
  15. Bubbles

Bubbles Banned

Oct 25, 2016
    I see deer walk in to my food plot on the very same path i walked in on...probably in my footsteps. I see them walk up the road that i just drove in on 30 mins prior. Surely they smell the exhaust or my boots, especially if i got gas before hunting. Granted they arent mature deer but i dont know if that makes any difference.

What i have noticed is i can drive by deer and they just watch me. If i stop, that's it. They are gone like a bolt of lightning.