Ribs on a gas grill..( I know it's a heresy, but...........)

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by gatorgrowl, Jun 15, 2010.

1. gatorgrowl

gatorgrowl Spike

Nov 6, 2008
    Orlando Fl
    Well, I am all set to do the ribs on the gas grill tomorrow. Got 4 racks of"loin back ribs" (not baby backs) at Sams........Have rubbed them down heavy with my Cookshack Rub, and they are in the fridge awaiting tomorrow. I will cook them on indirect heat..I have a 4 burner gas grill...plan to only use one burner on the right. Foil packets of hickory chips over the fire to hopefully get some good smoke going. Pan of water under the ribs on the left side (indirect) and the ribs standing in a rib rack. I figure about 4 hours at my lowest setting I can get. May put some sauce on the last 30 minutes and may take them out of the rack at the end for some small time over the slow flame...maybe get just a little "burn" on them.
    It's an experiment I have been wanting to do for a while. I'll try to take some pics but don't know how to get them on here. Guess I can read the post that tells you how. Thanks for all the replies...all good stuff from all you master grillers.
    Gatorgrowl

2. Shiz-Nit

Shiz-Nit 10 pointer

Perfect game plain bro, I sure hope to see some pics of these bad boy’s. I am sure they will be a HUGE hit indeed.

3. gatorgrowl

gatorgrowl Spike

Nov 6, 2008
    Orlando Fl
    Update on the ribs...They came out great. 4 hours was just the right time. The only problem I had...put water soaked hickory chips in a foil packet and laid the packet directly on the direct heat burner.......bad idea I think as after about 15 minutes the wood inside the foil packet caught fire and I didn't get the smoke I wanted. But the rib rub added the right amount of earthy flovor and they were really good. My family devoured them down. I still like the old charcoal/wood fire technique better, but these were good and fit the occasion and the situation.
    I took pics but don't know where to go from here.
    Thanks for all the replys.
    Gatorgrowl