Ribs on a gas grill..( I know it's a heresy, but...........)

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by gatorgrowl, Jun 15, 2010.

1. gatorgrowl

gatorgrowl Spike

Nov 6, 2008
    Orlando Fl
    I need to do about 4 racks on a gas grill this weekend. Don't ask me why I can't use the charcoal smoker.....I know you guys have done it before.
    How about some tips.....Thanks Guys.

Gatorgrowl

2. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    Many ways to do it. Most if not all are good.

Rub down the rids with a simple rub and let stand awhile. Overnight is best.
    An easy fool proof is build together a couple of sheets of foil (x2). Put the ribs in with a coulpe of cups of apple juice. Seal air tight and throw in a 325-350 oven for around 3 or so hours. Take out and "dry" them out some on the grill for 15 min, them glaze off with your fav BBQ sauce.

3. philipfleek

philipfleek 12 pointer

Feb 24, 2008
    philville, KY
    Thats backwards. I would smoke for 20 mins and then do what GPS said.

4. 7mmx2

7mmx2 12 pointer

Nov 8, 2007
    KY
    Put the RIBS in a pressure cooker and then in the oven for about 25 minutes at 300.

They will be the tastiest ribs you have ever eaten!!! PROMISE!!

5. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY

Now THAT'S heresy. I can see the pressure cooker making them tender but how could it do anything but hurt the flavor?

6. 7mmx2

7mmx2 12 pointer

Nov 8, 2007
    KY
    Oh no no no no
    You just put them in there raw, cook em and them smother them in what you want!! No joke it's the best I've ever had and I have spent a lot of $$$ on Ribs.
    And you don't have to slow cook them all day it could all be done in under an hour.

7. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    Are you a transplanted yankee?

You have to be.

:D

8. 7mmx2

7mmx2 12 pointer

Nov 8, 2007
    KY
    That's a negative....good luck Gater with your ribs.......take lots of PICS!!!

9. C.L.Button

C.L.Button 12 pointer

Jan 27, 2005
    Derby City Jungle
    OMG

GSP I just pissed my pants reading your sig line. Toooo funny.

Guys the meat will NOT absorb any flavors once it reaches 145degrees internally. That is because the meat is forcing out moisture, not soaking it in. Only way to do GSP's recipe is to let them set for about an hour AFTER you remove them from the oven STILL wrapped. When you open the package they WILL fall apart, but most likely so will the bones. I didn't see anybody ask if he was cooking Baby Backs or Spareribs ?

First off, rub down like GSP said, then I'd put the grill on low, lay ribs on crown side up, sprinkle spices down thru the grill and quickly close the lid, let smoke & cook for about 45 min like PF said, then lay in a large pan, pour in 2 cups Apple Juice with rub mixed in, seal tight, cook at 230 degrees for 3hrs if Baby Backs, 4 hrs if Spareribs. Let rest for 1hr after you remove them from the heat. Uncover, place on a platter. Bring the leftover pan liquid to a boil, add 1cp BBQ sauce, stir until hot. Paint ribs with it, then lay on a hot grill CROWN SIDE DOWN. Watch them close cause that sugar will burn quick. Good luck

10. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    might as well cook em in the microwave

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  11. C.L.Button

C.L.Button 12 pointer

Jan 27, 2005
    Derby City Jungle
    Pictures of ribs in a crock pot or pressure cooker ?? That's a man card violation. LOL

12. Shiz-Nit

Shiz-Nit 10 pointer

Please say it aint Soooooo!!!!

I agree

I agree again

May also have to sit in the penalty box

13. 7mmx2

7mmx2 12 pointer

Nov 8, 2007
    KY
    Oh lord!! The wife craves them this way!!! Keep her happy and then I'm happy!
    MMMMMMMMM Tasty

14. Shiz-Nit

Shiz-Nit 10 pointer

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  15. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    I would cook them indirect if I was cooking on a gas grill. Get the temp at cooking level to about 250 and cook about 6 hours or until the meat is pulling back from the bone and you pick the slab up they will break. I like the 3-2-1 method. Look it up on Google. Gas grills aren't the best way to cook ribs but it will work in a pinch.