Reported Pope and Young/Boone and Crocket Numbers?

bullet225ho

6 pointer
Oct 25, 2004
Crooked Creek
Hey folks.

I thought I'd shoot this out to the masses in KY. I know that there is Pope and Young and Boone and Crocket scoring systems that everyone follows. And even KY Game and Fish has a list of some of these in the regulations.

My question is.....How many folks do you rekon report these animals?

I know for a fact that I have two bow kills in the past three years that are Pope and Young but have not entered in the books nor to KDFR.

I have one gun kill in the past 10 years that is Boone and Crocket

I have fellow hunters that have visited with me on hunts that total 1 Pope and Young and one Boone and Crocket.

None of these where reported to KDFR or PY/BC.

I'm just wondering what the percentage of reported trophies is compared to what is really out there?

and beyond that is how many 125"+ deer (P/Y deer) are killed with rifle and muzzle loader that potentially could have been killed with a bow?

I'm sure this goes on in every state. I was just thinking about how many trophies never get reported? Probably a good thing though....LOL

Brandon

CSS archer

BBBC Members
Dec 13, 2001
Central KY
I see lot's of "B&C" bucks that don't make the cut after an official scoring tape meets up with them (much more often than not)... I'm sure there are numerous "questionable" bucks that never get reported to Fish and Wildlife....

Many P&Y bucks never get officially scored, most 2.5 or 3.5 year old bucks in quality habitat will go 125", just not that big of a deal to most people especially when taken with a gun.

With the internet today, very few legally taken B&C bucks get by without some attention, people like to brag, even if it isn't their deer.

bowcrazy3

10 pointer
Aug 21, 2009
Unless they are officially measured, submitted, accepted and entered in Pope and Young they are not "Pope and Young" bucks. Unless they are officially measured, accepted and entered in Boone and Crockett they are not "Boone and Crockett" bucks.

25-06

8 pointer
Apr 1, 2006
I know where a couple are that have never been entered....Scored by an official B&C scorer but both the guys say they arent paying to have their buck in the book. I have one B&C bowkill from last year...CCS Archer scored my buck at the sportsmans show a few months ago in Corbin and I shelled out the cash to have it entered because I have deer hunted a long time and I finally killed my dream buck.....So yeah I am still smiling everytime I look at him on the wall!!
I would think with the way information travels today that there aren't alot of B&C bucks out there that havent had some sort of recognition....Atleast the ones that were taken legally.

WildmanWilson

12 pointer
Dec 26, 2004
Western Ky.
I believe most bucks not entered is due to the 25 dollars or so it take to enter it. If it was free most would not mind if it was in the book. A few will just want to keep it on the down low and not let anyone know they took a big buck.

I had a goal of a 150 inch Pope & Young and when I got one I put it in the book. I hate when some get on their high horse and act like they are better than someone else for not entering one. If you choose not to enter one thats fine but don't bad mouth someone else who does. If I ever get a Booner it will be in the book also.

bowcrazy3

10 pointer
Aug 21, 2009
I believe most bucks not entered is due to the 25 dollars or so it take to enter it. If it was free most would not mind if it was in the book. A few will just want to keep it on the down low and not let anyone know they took a big buck.

I had a goal of a 150 inch Pope & Young and when I got one I put it in the book. I hate when some get on their high horse and act like they are better than someone else for not entering one. If you choose not to enter one thats fine but don't bad mouth someone else who does. If I ever get a Booner it will be in the book also.

Everyone needs to realize it takes money to process paperwork and print books. B&C and P&Y also both do a lot of other things to promote and support hunting in addition to maintaining record books. $35-$40 is a small price to pay to honor and record what, in many cases, is the hunt of a lifetime. How many of us who hunt easily waste that much in a weeks time somewhere on the latest gadget(s). Not to mention the fact that the measurer is donating their time and often times travel for free.

On the other hand I agree, it is certainly a personal choice to enter or not to enter an animal. What I hate to hear is someone run down the record keeping organizations while quoting a score based on the system that was developed by the same organizations.

CSS archer

BBBC Members
Dec 13, 2001
Central KY
Most people are not aware that B&C and P&Y are also on the forefront of protecting and promoting our hunting heritage, they are not simply a records program.

It certainly is a personal choice to enter an animal or not, but as bowcrazy already mentioned, it is not a B&C or P&Y animal unless it is officially measured and accepted.

It is common for people to claim any 125" or greater bowkill as a P&Y, not correct, but commonnly claimed...

huntr467

12 pointer
Feb 2, 2004
Marion Ky. Crittenden county
I will have to disagree that the money is the biggest issue with deer not getting entered into either record book. From my experience it is more likely that the guy just could care less about the whole process. There are many deer that have been taken that are just hanging on walls and in barns that have never been entered much less scored because the hunter does not care what it scores. Not all hunters are like the new generation caught up in the trophy hype. However some of these deer get drug out and measured but usually not by the hunter. I also think a lot of counties in Ky especially in the western end of the state have way more trophy class animals taken than the KDFRW's list or the other clubs have reported to them anually. Whether it be some old time farmer who kills it or some out of state guy that loads it up and takes it home.

Last edited:

Chimpy

8 pointer
Jun 29, 2004
Wilder, ky, USA.
I personally haven't entered any of my deer because I don't feel like doing all the paperwork and picture taking that goes with the process. I've had them all scored, but it's just not a huge deal (at least not to me) to see it on a list. Plus, a 125 inch deer isn't that hard to find these days, so it's just not a big deal - maybe make the P&Y minimum 140 inches. But I know a lot of people really like seeing their names on the list, and there's nothing wrong with that.

deadaim

12 pointer
Dec 12, 2001
Booger Hollar
I personally haven't entered any of my deer because I don't feel like doing all the paperwork and picture taking that goes with the process. I've had them all scored, but it's just not a huge deal (at least not to me) to see it on a list. Plus, a 125 inch deer isn't that hard to find these days, so it's just not a big deal - maybe make the P&Y minimum 140 inches. But I know a lot of people really like seeing their names on the list, and there's nothing wrong with that.

I know of 2 that for sure would make B & C one is my father in laws that would go 180 + easy that is a twelve point typical killed in DBNF. He is a low key guy and could give a hoot if he is in a book or not. Another I know of could be a State Record if the guy would get it scored that hangs on his wall in Hustonville KY. It was killed in madison County in 2002. it is a typical with 16 points that I know as wide and tall as it is could go well over 200 Inches. He is a gas line welder who only hunts a couple of days of Gun season a year.

194 3/8

6 pointer
Aug 17, 2009
West, KY
I know of 2 that for sure would make B & C one is my father in laws that would go 180 + easy that is a twelve point typical killed in DBNF. He is a low key guy and could give a hoot if he is in a book or not. Another I know of could be a State Record if the guy would get it scored that hangs on his wall in Hustonville KY. It was killed in madison County in 2002. it is a typical with 16 points that I know as wide and tall as it is could go well over 200 Inches. He is a gas line welder who only hunts a couple of days of Gun season a year.

Most deer like this wont make the cut because of DEDUCTIONS. Most people look and see a deer that goes 190in and just assume its a B&C deer. Untill it is scored and all Deductions have been taken off you just dont know. When they score your buck, you better have almost perfectly matching sides if you want that 170 or 180in gross deer to make the books.

HUNTINGMAN

12 pointer
Nov 7, 2008
Harrodsburg KY
Although I would more than likely enter a
bow kill into the books if I got the chance to be lucky enough to harvest one,I think it is a good thing not all bucks get entered. It keeps our state out of the spotlight and hunters from other states would want to go somewhere else,like Iowa or Kansas,to much recognition can be a bad thing.

billproxs

12 pointer
Nov 1, 2009
KENTUCKY LAKE
Most hunters over exaggerate the size of the bucks they see in the woods.

Hunters often say they have seen a 170 inch buck, but in reality it was probably a 145 or 150 inch buck.

My biggest buck scored 154 net, and all of my friends seen the buck in the woods before I shot it.

They all claimed it was a 170 inch buck, but after it was scored it was only 154 net.

And deductions hurt a bucks score big time. My 154 inch buck had a lot of deductions, before deductions he would have scored around 162.

billproxs

12 pointer
Nov 1, 2009
KENTUCKY LAKE

I know several people in Indiana who have shot deer that could be in the books, and they have not entered them.

I'm sure it's the same way here in Kentucky, there are probably numerous people every year who kill B & C bucks, and P & Y bucks but they choose not to enter them in the books.

deadaim

12 pointer
Dec 12, 2001
Booger Hollar
I know several people in Indiana who have shot deer that could be in the books, and they have not entered them.

I'm sure it's the same way here in Kentucky, there are probably numerous people every year who kill B & C bucks, and P & Y bucks but they choose not to enter them in the books.

I guarantee there are .....heck there are plenty still who dont even call them in or tag them.

Last edited:

Latest posts