Remington ?

Discussion in 'Modern Firearms' started by coysmoker, Feb 23, 2012.

1. coysmoker

coysmoker 6 pointer

Feb 23, 2010
    Boone Co.
    A few years back I bought a Remington 597 in .17 HMR. I really liked the gun. It was very accurate and I never had an issue with it except with new clips the spring was so strong it was hard to load and as a result it would jam now and then. I kept the clips fully loaded all the time and the springs loosened up and the problem went away. After having it for about two years Remington declared it un-safe to shoot because it was semi-auto and offered $200 in a Remmington credit towards a new gun. I paid almost twice that much for the gun and since I have never had a problem with it I kept it and still shoot it. I was at a gun show last week and a guy was carring one just like mine around trying to sell it. I talked to him and he told me that now Remington was offering to re-barrel them in .22 Mag. if I sent it back.
    Now I don't know what to do !!! I really like my .17 but should I keep a gun that is supossed to be unsafe to shoot or look into having it made into a .22 Mag?

2. mwezell

mwezell 12 pointer

Jan 22, 2006
    Auburn, KY
    Duh......Read you question.

3. coysmoker

coysmoker 6 pointer

Feb 23, 2010
    Boone Co.
    mwezell ... I have read your posts the last few years and I value your opinion. I just hate to give up my .17 HMR auto loader. It has served me well. It has taken many critters ans a coyote or two ...

4. mwezell

mwezell 12 pointer

Jan 22, 2006
    Auburn, KY
    Being a rimfire, people tend to dismiss the potential danger of the actual problem with those guns too much. A 17HMR makes right at 26,000 psi of chamber pressure. That's more than enough to send shrapnel at you or bystanders.
    Just use your head. Is it worth risking your or your kids eyesight(or worse) to keep shooting it? I love the cartridge, but in a blowback operated semi auto, this is what can happen. Also, it becomes more likely as time goes on due to the action springs loss of tension.
    I'd suggest having it rebarreled to 22 Mag. Then you can keep it or trade it for a bolt action 17HMR.--Mike

5. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    I agree with Mike. Taking the risk just isn't worth it. Rifles chamered in .17 HMR are a dime a dozen - many configurations to fit your needs. You can surely find another to serve you as well and more than likely better than your 597. I used to own a 597. Honestly, I thought it was a cheaply made, less than desireable, POS. I had the same issue with the clips that you had. My gun also jammed a fair amount. I had the gun for about 8 - 10 years. The opportunity came along to get my money back on it and I jumped at it.

Mine was chambered in .22 LR and shot mediocre. If memory serves, the 597 aren't known for accuracy, so much as the .17 HMR itself. I think the accuracy is coming more from the inherent nature of the round rather than the rifle. My point is, you can find another (i.e. safer) rifle chambered in .17 HMR. Currently, I own a Savage 93 in 17 HMR. This definitely isn't a bank buster. The stocks are cheap, but I have a new laminated Boyd's to replace the synthetic stock. My rifle will center punch a nickel at 50 yards. I haven't had a chance to dial it in at 100 yards but I suspect the accuracy will be awesome, as well.

I would get away from the 597 all together. If possible, take the $200 Remington credit, turn your back on the 597 and run!

6. Remington re-called all 597s in .17 about 3 years or do ago. I had to ship 2 back that we're on the shelves where I worked. I remember because I was going to buy one that weekend before I got the recall letter. I'd have it re-chambered in 22 mag if I was you, why take the chance on someone getting hurt!?

7. coysmoker

coysmoker 6 pointer

Feb 23, 2010
    Boone Co.
    I shipped my 597 of today to get re-barreled in .22 mag. Thanks for all the advise !!!

8. mwezell

mwezell 12 pointer

Jan 22, 2006
    Auburn, KY
    I think that was the right move. There's other good shooting 17hmr's and you may be happy with the 22 Mag. If you get another 17, the savages are good but the C-Z's are really nice rifles. I'd sell the 22mag as unfired since returned from Remington and put a few more $$ with it and get the CZ. That's JMHO. Whenever the "which is best" stuff gets started, you know how it goes.--Mike

9. coysmoker

coysmoker 6 pointer

Feb 23, 2010
    Boone Co.
    I got my gun back today. It only took 9 days !!! It went to Paducha Ky. for the repair. I'm going to put the scope back on it and tune it in. I'll get another .17 HMR when I figure out what I want.

10. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    You want a Savage... you just dont know it yet...LOL.

Seriously though...for 17HMR's.... it would be Savage or Marlin...in my opinion.

Dont know anyone with either that has'nt been very satisfied.

11. KYhunter79

KYhunter79 12 pointer

Dec 11, 2003
    Irvington, KY
    All of my high-powered rifles have been Savages. And I'm completely satisfied.

Now I've owned about every different make of .22 you can think of. Remington, Winchester, savage, stevens, marlin, Ruger, etc. They've all been sold, given away or traded except one...the 597. Love the gun. Never had it jam once. Even rapid firing the larger capacity mags. I can shoot the lid off of a coke bottle at 25 yards and have filled many a gallon jug or pie plate up at 80-100yds off-handed. And it's killed a couple buckets full of squirrels and a truck load of coons among other things. Now I don't know if I can hit a nickle at 50 yards but I probably shouldn't be trying shoot at game that far anyway with a .22. That's what it boils down to for me.

Back on topic, you made the right decision. No sense in chancing your safety.