remington 700 BDL .243 SCOPE??

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by Boone Dock's, Jan 12, 2007.

1. Boone Dock's

Boone Dock's 6 pointer

Jul 25, 2006
    Lincoln County
    hey guys i am really lookin into yote hunting and i got me a .243 dont really care bout keeping the pelts or nething, anyways i was wanint ur guys suggestions on a good scope for ranges up to about 300-350 yrds probably wont have a shot that far but u never know. lookin to spend no more than bout 400-500. thanks guys also anybody wanna take along a newbie? sure do have alot to learn, i am from lincoln county thanks.

2. daking

daking 12 pointer

Dec 29, 2004
    I'd consider a 4x12 with an adjustable objective lens. The magnification should hit both ends of your shooting range and the AO lens will enable you to get more critical focus. If you're going to use this rifle for deer, consider a 3x9 to give yourself a bigger field of view at close ranges. Remember, no one was ever sorry they bought a Leupold, but a Burris will also carry the mail for you nicely.

3. Encore_Shooter

Encore_Shooter 6 pointer

Oct 19, 2005
    Fleming, Co.
    scope

Leupold, Burris, Nikon are all god choices. I think a 4-12 of either will fit the bill would not use the 3-9 just to get the lower power though (look through a scope on 3 power and then turn it to 4 power and do the same, not much differance) Just remember all those scopes have several grades and quality is what you are paying for, but as long as you stick in the price range $400-$500 you should be fine. Nelson

4. brasskeeper

brasskeeper 6 pointer

Sep 10, 2002
    Richmond
    Good advice guys. I would also recomend looking at a Bushnell Elite 3200 or 4200. They have the raingaurd coated lenses and the no questions asked or prof of purchase needed lifetime warranty.
    If you want a Nikon now is a good time to buy a monarch as Nikon is going to change its Lineup and replace the Monarch which has led to some retailers to clearence them out. check out riflescopedotcom

5. Boone Dock's

Boone Dock's 6 pointer

Jul 25, 2006
    Lincoln County
    thanks for the advice guys, forgot to mention that i will be using this gun for yote and deer hunting, thanks.

6. hunterman1971

hunterman1971 8 pointer

Sep 4, 2006
    Shepherdsville
    I have a 8x32x50 on mine when you look at on at 400 yards you can see the feas on him.

7. Boone Dock's

Boone Dock's 6 pointer

Jul 25, 2006
    Lincoln County
    what brand is that hunter man?

8. Encore_Shooter

Encore_Shooter 6 pointer

Oct 19, 2005
    Fleming, Co.
    scope

8 power is waaaaayyyyy to high for deer though in most hunting situations.

9. Boone Dock's

Boone Dock's 6 pointer

Jul 25, 2006
    Lincoln County
    ok well i am lost on all the magnification stuff and scopes can u suggest a good power then, what do the numbers stand for like u have 3 diff #'s sorry if sounds dumb but im lost i jsut know that i would like one for close hunting but have the ocassional shots for im guessing 300-350 or so yrds.

10. daking

daking 12 pointer

Dec 29, 2004
    Let's do the primer:

the first number will be the lowest power. In a 3x9 scope, the lowest setting on the scope will magnify everything by three times. Things that are 150 yards off will appear the size if at 50. If you crank it all the way up to 9 power, stuff at 450 yards will look the size as if fifty yards.

It would seem like more power is always better....but........

The higher the power, the smaller the field of view.

Field of view is the area that you can see through the scope. Let's say that you can see 100 yards wide at a hundred yards distance with the naked eye.

If you magnify your target three times at a hundred yards, you can only see about 33 yards wide. At nine power, it would be something on the order of 9 or ten yards. That means if your target is moving, it will move out of your scope pretty quick with the power cranked to maximum.

Further......

If you have a large animal at close range in a high power scope, you may well not be able to see either end of the animal, because the image is so big and the field of view is so small. You may see nothing but hair.

And even worse.........

When you have a high power scope cranked all the way up, it will magnify every move you make. This can be disquieting. I have a .243 with a 6 x 24 power scope. I put rig together specifically to punch small holes in paper very close together at long distances and because my buddy had one and I wanted one more accurate than his. When I lay it over sandbags on a bench rest and lean into the butt, I can see a minor tremor every time my heart beats, because the appearance of every move is magnified. That's at 24 power, which is excessive for everything, but, say, punching small holes paper, very close together at very long distances. You DO NOT NEED OR WANT A 24 POWER SCOPE (or anything like it) FOR WHAT YOU ARE DOING. IN FACT, YOU'D GROW TO HATE IT QUICKLY.

One more thing......

Many scopes will have a series of numbers like 3x9x50. The third number is the diameter of the objective lens in milimeters. The bigger the objective lens, the more light it gathers, making the image in the scope brighter. This can be important in low-light situations. It also increases that pesky field of view.

Now....the moment you've been waiting for.......

If you're going to use your 243 to shoot coyotes, groundhogs, feral cats and other such varmints, AND you might just want to use it during deer season, I'd suggest a 4x12x50 scope. The four power will be low enough to allow reasonably fast, close in shooting. The twelve power will home in on groundhogs at 400 yards pretty well. The fifty milimeter objective lens will gather a lot of light and will increase your field of view over say a 35 or 40 mm objective lens. It won't be the perfect scope for every use, but it will offer a compromise that will allow you to do everything you want to do as well as it can be done with this rig.

All of this clear as mud? Go to your dealer and look for a Nikon, Leupold, high end Bushnell or Burris scope in 4x12x50. They'll know what you want. When you get that baby and you mount it securely on the weapon (or pay the guy five or ten bucks to do it for you), write us back and we'll go over sighting the thing in.

You're gonna have a lot of fun. It ain't as difficult as it sounds or I could never do it.

11. Boone Dock's

Boone Dock's 6 pointer

Jul 25, 2006
    Lincoln County
    man thats awsome, that u took that much time to help me out. I thank u alot. yea based on what u said i belive that will be a good combination. u hit it right on the head when u talked about what i would use it for. Just poppin varmits and coyotes and mayb the occasional deer but i have a 30-06 for that. so its basically jsut gonna be a shoot around gun. i am thinkin on goin with a leuapold scope. what kinda of mounts and rings do you suggest?

12. daking

daking 12 pointer

Dec 29, 2004
    For my money, there are two choices. One is the Leupold full-length base with the Leupold rings. This used to be called a Redfield JR base, but I think that only Leupold makes it now. This system is pretty good at retaining zero when the scope is removed and reinstalled. It also allows for windage adjustment in the base.

The other is the Conetrol system. It too, is very well made and very solid. Both are expensive, but remember, a movement of a thousandth of an inch is the difference between a dead groundhog and a clean miss at 300 yards. Buy the good stuff the first time and you won't be buying it again.

Nowwww, for mounting.

If you are not going to have the dealer mount it, there are some steps you ought to take.

1) Remove the plug screws in the receiver. Clean the top of the receiver and the screw holes with rubbing alcohol or a similar grease-free solvent.

2) Clean the base and the new screws with the same solvent.

3) Coat the screws with a bit of lock-tight to hold them in place.

4) One you have them tightened down, smack the top of the screwdriver or the allen wrench with a hammer handle to bottom them out. Then, give them another twist. Be careful not to break them. They are sort of brittle.

5) When you mount the rings on the bases, be sure that when you separate the ring halves that you keep the same bottom with the same top and install them exactly as they came apart. They are made whole and sliced in two, so you want to match 'em up the way God made 'em.

6) Clean the scope and the inside of the rings like you cleaned the receiver. Use locktight in the same manner as above.

7) To sight the scope in, take a cardboard box and cut two V shaped grooves, one in each end. Set the rifle in the grooves. Remove the bolt. Sight down the bore at an object about 25 yards away. With the rifle held steady, adjust the crosshairs on the same object. Go back and forth between the bore and the scope and when the bore and the scope are looking at the same spot, you will be close. Now, zero it where you want it.

Ain't life simple?

13. Boone Dock's

Boone Dock's 6 pointer

Jul 25, 2006
    Lincoln County
    ok well i think i will just take it to a respectful dealer ha ha sounds like to much to mess up. I want it as accurate as possible dont know if i will be able to do the wind adjustment like u mentioned but iono. The rifle is really accurate outta the bod with just the factory sight on it now jsut wanting to pop off a grounghog off in the distance. so i will save up some more $$ and head to the store thanks.

14. daking

daking 12 pointer

Dec 29, 2004
    No big deal. Need some help shootin' it too?

15. Boone Dock's

Boone Dock's 6 pointer

Jul 25, 2006
    Lincoln County
    nah thats ok i am a fairly good shot, i think i can handle that part, now i am looking for sombody to do some hunting with.