Reloading

Discussion in 'Modern Firearms' started by wannabetrapper, Feb 4, 2014.

1. wannabetrapper

wannabetrapper 6 pointer

Dec 16, 2010
    I am wanting to learn how to start reloading. I am wanting to reload 9mm and 40 then upgrade to my 223. I am wanting to get in to reloading as a hobby . I don't plan on doing very many rounds at a time probably only 100 I am wanting a single stage press. I am torn on what to get from hornady lnl classic kit or rcbs kit to the redding. Could some one help me out on what to get . And like I said I am new... Not worried about speed just want to make a good invesentment. It seems like redding has the best press and hornady has a good system for changing out the dies with rcbs with the best dies. Please help

2. orion2000

orion2000 6 pointer

Dec 7, 2013
    "Good investment" is subjective. If good investment means "get me everything I need to get started without breaking the bank", the Lee Anniversary set up is not a bad deal. Everything you need to start except dies, brass powder and bullets. If good investment means "I'll pay the man to buy once, cry once" then Redding dies, and either an RCBS Rockchucker press or a Forster Bonanza Coax press. Many (most?) benchrest shooters use Redding dies. A new RCBS Rockchucker press will still be loading good ammo long after you and I have met our Maker.

I started out with a Lee anniversary set up when I first started reloading 20 years ago because I wasn't certain I would like reloading. And because everything came in one box. I have loaded 10's of thousands of pistol and rifle rounds on the little red press. And the ammo it turns out is at least as accurate as I am. I just purchased and installed a Forster Bonanza Coax press. Night and day difference versus the Lee press. It also turns out very accurate ammo without the need for individual shell holders, and easy to change out dies.

The only warning I will offer is "Do Not start reloading to save money..." Because you will not save money. Your ammo may be cheaper per round. But you will end up shooting up the savings ! Which in my mind is a good thing. Anything that helps you get more practice and more trigger time is a good thing.

Good luck with your search...

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  3. cracker0169

cracker0169 Spike

Jan 21, 2011
    Benton, KY
    I vote RCBS rock chucker

eBay or Craigslist might be a good starting point

4. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    A used Rockchucker is what I advise. You can buy the rest in a kit from any of the makers.

5. scsims

scsims 10 pointer

I used a Lee anniversary press fro about 15 years and it finally recently broke while necking 300 RUM brass to .338. I got by with it for a long time but the replacement Rockchucker supreme that I have now is much much better!!

6. useyourbow

useyourbow 12 pointer

Based on the rounds you plan on reloading you may want to go ahead and start with a Lee Progressive Press (lower cost, decent quality) because it appears you will want quanity versus quality. If you were more interested in building accurate rounds for rifles then the Lee anniversary kit or RCBS Rock Chucker would be the way to go. Reloading is alot like golf. You can play a round of golf with the standard set of clubs (7) and tennis shoes. Before your know it you have 14 clubs, new shoes, high dollar balls, funny hats, and ugly pants.

7. mwezell

mwezell 12 pointer

Jan 22, 2006
    Auburn, KY
    I can average about 100 rounds per hour on a Rock Ckucker and two Chargemasters. Probably not setting the world on fire, but they are my benchrest rounds, and I have no concerns as to their quality. Based on what the op stated, I'd stay with a good single stage. The extra volume will cost you money with the handgun cartridges, both by shooting more and the cost of a good progressive. I don't like the Lee and I don't care for any progressive that I have to index manually. FWIW.

8. I started out with the Lyman 310 tools, and now I use a Rock Chucker with RCBS and Lee dies. :) See what you need for your needs, then if possible, upgrade before you buy. :eagerness:

9. wannabetrapper

wannabetrapper 6 pointer

Dec 16, 2010
    Looks like the majority says rcbs which is what I was leaning to. Probably start with the kit then upgrade from there with an electric scale and dies my main thing was were to start press wise. Thanks for the replys

10. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    rockchucker or Dillon progressive.

11. ducknbuckhunter

ducknbuckhunter 10 pointer

Aug 3, 2005
    Owensboro/Murray
    For 9mm and 40. Lee progressive. They are very simple. Once you get everything set 100 rds in 45 mins is very easy to manage. The .223/5.56. Is a next step above. I would look into a higher end single stage or progressive. But reloading is "supposed to save money". It takes a lot of rounds run through the press to pay for it .Small bottle kneck, powder metering, more powder, lesser tolerances all come into play. I still run .223 in a progressive but I prime off the press.

12. tc tom

tc tom Fawn

Jan 6, 2007
    You will not beat RCBS as far as customer service and warranty. They have replaced things that I broke thru carelessness. I did not even pay shipping

13. xHwyLt

xHwyLt Fawn

Oct 1, 2008
    RCBS is the way to go. If you find you need to increase the speed, go get the Dillon 550. Just be aware that the Dillon is fantastic for pistol calibers, and straight wall cases, for bottlenecks like the 223, you still have to do a lot of prep work before you can use the 550 to reload them. I just use my RCBS single stage to reload 223's.

RCBS dies will last you a lifetime, but if you need to spend a little more money get the Redding dies.

14. wannabetrapper

wannabetrapper 6 pointer

Dec 16, 2010
    Great thanks for. All the replys just the information I was wanting to know. I know it will take some time and more tools with the 223 like a case trimmer and so on but over all this forum has helped me tremendously with my decision. I'll invest in an rcbs kit then pick up some accessors as time goes on

15. KYBOB

KYBOB 8 pointer

Dec 26, 2009
    Barren Co.
    Lyman also makes some very good equipment

BoB