reloading question

Discussion in 'Modern Firearms' started by styxvalleydan, Nov 3, 2008.

1. styxvalleydan

styxvalleydan Spike

Jun 15, 2008
    im thinking about geting into reloading, mainly for my 45-70 and possibly for my 7.92 mauser. my question is does it really pay off. if im paying 33.00 a box for my 45-70 roughly how much would i save on a box. i was wondering would those rcbs starter kits be good for this

2. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    How many boxes a year do you shoot? If the answer is dozens, then go for it. If not, buy off the shelf and you're money ahead.

3. Combat Triad

Combat Triad 8 pointer

Sep 16, 2008
    Flatwoods, KY
    Trust me is right, you have to shoot a lot to really get your money's worth. I reload only 45acp, because I compete with my 1911 alot. But on the other hand I shoot my Glock 34 9mm even more than my 1911, but as long as I can get 9mm Winchester White Box for less than $20/100rds at Wal-Mart I will never reload 9mm. You have to figure out how much per round you will spend on reloading components and weigh that against what you can buy factory ammo for to make the best choice. Don't forget to factor your time into it as well.

4. Pugs

Pugs 8 pointer

Oct 3, 2005
    Of course once you start reloading and playing with bullets and powders and COL's and such you'll quickly find you shoot a lot more and enjoy it a lot more. See? It'll pay for itself :rolleyes:

5. brasskeeper

brasskeeper 6 pointer

Sep 10, 2002
    Richmond
    Reloading does not save me money, it allows me to shoot more.

6. Hoosier5

Hoosier5 Banned

Sep 6, 2004
    Northern Taylor Co.
    I reload for accuracy, along with saving a few bucks on ammo. Reloading is a fine hobby.

7. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    Try one of these: http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=224711&t=11082005

A lot of people knock them but I've got one in every caliber I own. I got my first one because I wanted to understand reloading and see if I like it. Because I use generally the cheapest bullets (about $20 per 100 for my .30-06), it does save me a little money. I typically reload about 100 a year. And if you like reloading, you're only out $20 on this and can use the rest of your components with a press (powder, primers, etc). And if you don't like it, well, you've only got a few dollars in it.

Another benefit of at least having the reloading components is that if the .45-70 becomes hard to find, you'll always have a supply. My FIL turned me on to that idea and to these reloaders with his 7.65 ARG (just try to find factory ammo for that).

8. Kcoyboy

Kcoyboy Banned

Feb 28, 2008
    I guess to be honest if you only shoot a few boxes of ammo per year its not going to pay to reload but------------------------ most people that begin to reload shoot more often and shoot better because of accuracy and practice. Example me in 1982 couldnt shoot a shotgun very well at all. I felt like I was counting the money I was losing when I missed which was quite often. Once i started to reload I took a grocery sac of shotgun shells to the range and started to miss less often. And less often and lessoften to where Im a fairly good shot now where I couldnt hit at all before. Then I got into metallic reloading and I havent looked back since !! Im not saying reloading is for everyone just saying its a great hobby if you have the time to do it. As far as saving money you will definitely save. How much depends on the type of ammo you load and the quantity. Your accuracy will definitely improve also you can make certain loads that arent avilable as store bought. And you wont have to be a slave to store bought ammo. I even cast my own bullets which saves a bundle.. Good Luck