Regional differences in what's a big deer

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by ojibwa62, Sep 17, 2019.

1. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    When I was 15 I killed a buck that dressed 181 pounds on a cattle scale. Dad and I put him in the trunk of a Chevy Nova and drove over to my cousin’s house to show him off. He had roofers working that day. Them fellas stopped working to come look at that buck. I was one proud boy that day. Killed that buck with the old 30-30.

mudhole crossing and mykizha like this.
  2. Munson

Munson 10 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Never owned a scale just went by "how many breathers per 100yds" when dragging em out lol
    . I did kill a 4pt many years ago in west ky was noticeably bigger than the larger racked deer killed. A big bodied buck usually looks like it has short front legs. We ribbed my uncle one year of this bc we were jealous of course lol, he finally found a tape measure and proved us wrong haha. Really sucks he's no longer with us to poke fun of his short legged 10pt that still holds the record as the biggest deer killed down there.

3. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    1C8DC293-8D19-4C8A-84DF-9F779D49FBBA.jpeg
    This one I killed in 2012 fits the short legged theory for sure. Never got to weigh him but the second biggest bodied deer I ever killed dressed at 185 and ol shorty was much larger than it

Munson likes this.
  4. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I’ve never weighed a deer but the farm I first started hunting on had some of the biggest freakin does I’ve ever seen. If they had horns people would swear they were world class bucks. I saw a 171 inch buck come from the bordering property. I have no idea of his body weight but swear we killed a few does with bigger bodies. We usually quarter and cooler where we hunt. No scale around, never really though about it. We usually weigh turkeys.

5. Bill Nagle

Bill Nagle Fawn

Jun 25, 2019
    Menifee County, KY
    I killed a 4 year old 6 point in sw Fla whose live weight was right at 100lbs , it won the big buck contest the local archery shop put on..... that same year 88 I think, I shot a doe in GA that weighed 140lbs..... I can not wait to start hunting in Kentucky

6. Bubbles

Bubbles Banned

Oct 25, 2016
    My heaviest was 190 dressed. Had 2 go 175. The rest been around 140-150.

7. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Killed a doe in the mid 80's that was 130 field dressed. She was a big ol nanny.

8. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Bow kill a old doe over on Peabody years ago we haul to Madisonville to a scale. After we got her out. Dress weight was 155, she had a nose longer than any deer I ever seen and teeth were near wore out. No telling how old she was. I double lung her at about 10 yards and that's about how far she made it before going down. Best buck went a bit over 225 dressed off private property near me with ML. Why do the big ones always run and die downhill..:D

Want to be fooled look at those big rack Texas bucks. Friend had a captive one that had a very impressive rack but may have dressed at 90 pounds top's. Almost thought it was a Key deer first time I seen it.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  9. Jarhead

Jarhead 8 pointer

Feb 20, 2005
    Allen co. Ky.
    in '78 my Dad killed an 8 point that was huge. Shot it at first light and didn't get it home till after lunch. He was by himself and didn't want to leave it to go get help. He actually cut a couple small trees down to be able to drive out an old road bed to get closer to it. He wanted a live weight but quickly realized that wasn't gonna happen. Kinda rigged a block and tackle up of sorts to be able to get it in the truck. Checked it in and wasn't anyone there but a lady and an older man. Didn't want to unloaded and load again by himself. It was cold so let it hang in our barn two days. That Monday afternoon when we got there to work it up my grandfather had backed his truck under it and said we are going to weigh this one. Took it to the store on certified market scales and it weighed 232. My heaviest was a 191lb 9 pt.

10. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Hunted Alberta 12 yrs. Have probably seen 60-70 deer brought in, heaviest deer I witnessed on a scale field dressed at 252. Long body. Most dressed 200-230 lbs.