Reelfoot Guide Recommendation

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by Oldrook, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Oldrook

Oldrook Fawn

Jul 19, 2020
    Bowling Green
    My dad has been wanting to fish Reelfoot this spring and get a guide to put him on fish. Anyone have any names of guides they would recommend?

2. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I’m going in March. My buddy has been. He says guide not needed. Crappie everywhere.

3. Oldrook

Oldrook Fawn

Jul 19, 2020
    Bowling Green
    Thsnks for the input. We are going to give it a try one way or another. My dad is a little older and gets tired easy now days. Just trying to make sure he can get on some fish before he gets too tired to enjoy catching a few

4. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Jeff said there are crappie everywhere. Just gotta find the depth the bigger ones are holding. They caught theirs on minnows. No trolling motor, no electronics.

5. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Try calling or looking up the Blue Bank Resort. Helluva place to stay and they have some awesome guides. You can do the whole trip all inclusive, just with Blue Bank. I took my granpaw there several years in a row, just for the ease of it for him

redlickranch, bondhu and jblack1 like this.
  6. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I had never been and a buddy and myself took my dad for a 3 day trip in late April 2014. If it were raining soup we’d probably be outside with a plate but for whatever reason it was slow as all get out. We struggled. I’ve never tried so hard to get a darn bluegill to bite in my life. In 3 days we probably brought home 15-18 bluegill/crappie. No one was catching very much. Funny thing is we talked to people that said up until a few days before we came they were filling the boats with big gills and crappie. LOL. Anyway it’s a cool place to see. Also the snakiest place I’ve ever been. Only saw one snake that I thought was a moccasin but big water snakes, I swear I saw 50 by noon our first day in the water.

Meatstick likes this.
  7. Oldrook

Oldrook Fawn

Jul 19, 2020
    Bowling Green
    Thanks again for the info. Good luck in March.

8. Oldrook

Oldrook Fawn

Jul 19, 2020
    Bowling Green
    Thanks Meatstick. Saw their ads, probably give them a call. Xbokilla, I fished at Crab Orchard in Il. and it was very snake infested. But we caught the heck out of some big crappie and bass. Maybe it will work out like that at Reelfoot.

xbokilla likes this.
  9. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012

Good luck! I think we stayed at Cypress Point. My buddy had an RV so we stayed in it but rented the boat/motor from them.

10. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    We are using another camp. Be interesting to see how they compare.

11. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Meatstick stirred you right Blue Bank they have really invested in Reelfoot & would be your best guarantee. We always went out of gooches but not sure if they are in business anymore.
    If 19 inch plus crappie are what your wanting , you have to go in March. Problem is catching 3-5 good days of weather but if you hit there is no better. As far as bluegill on Reelfoot I wouldn't pass up Barkley shellcrackers for them. Never could fill a stringer of bluegill like Hank Jr and Bill Dance did . I can still see Hank say welcome to Reelfoot Lake

Meatstick and bowhunter269 like this.
  12. Oldrook

Oldrook Fawn

Jul 19, 2020
    Bowling Green
    Thanks everyone. This is exactly what I hoped I would get asking on this forum. Really appreciate all the info

13. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    Greenup, ky, USA.
    Blue bank is a pretty nice place we stayed there once years ago.

14. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    Jonathan Moore is one of the best guides on reelfoot. PM me for his phone number.