Reduction sauce for venison

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by Tankt, Nov 27, 2020.

1. Tankt

Tankt 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2019
    Kentucky
    Guys, after watching an episode of Meateater a few months ago, I have been trying to find a reduction sauce to serve on grilled venison. Seems like everything I have found is simply a red wine sauce. I know it's a long shot but do any of you have a recipe for one?

I dont want one that is ladled over heavily like gravy that covers up the taste of the meat. Looking for a sauce that compliments the meat and also serves as a garnish.

drakeshooter likes this.
  2. I hate a red wine reduction. My buddy just made a beef stew reduced in red wine and it tasted as bad to me as the braised short ribs I tried in red wine, just too strong. If I want a sauce and don’t have drippings to work with and you want something thinner than traditional gravy, I’d find a good au jus recipe online using something like Better Than Bouillon roasted beef flavor for the liquid.

bondhu likes this.
  3. BTW a little plug for the BTB product line I mentioned. They have a variety like beef, chicken, pork, vegetable, garlic and many others. Makes gravy and sauce making a cinch, I even add a little to drippings I already have. Game changer.

https://www.betterthanbouillon.com/our-products/

bondhu and Tankt like this.
  4. Tankt

Tankt 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2019
    Kentucky
    I re-read post. It was a little confusing. I am looking for something besides a red wine sauce.

Thanks DS

drakeshooter likes this.
  5. Yeah I was saying I hate a red wine sauce, would never recommend one and I’d make an au jus using beef stock for my liquid.

6. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    I dilute dale’s for a dipping sauce.

carnivore likes this.
  7. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    Start with half a stick of butter in a hot pan. Add a spring of fresh rosemary (optional) two-four cloves of minced garlic and a finely diced shallot. Stirring to keep the garlic from burning, cook until the garlic and shallot are golden and soft. Pour in a half cup bourbon, bring to simmer. Flame if desired. Reduce heat to low or turn it off if using a cast iron pan. Start adding the remaining half stick of butter, one pat a time, whisking as you go. Once all the butter is melted, squeeze in some lemon juice. Stir, add the venison to the pan and spoon the sauce over just before serving

invasion36, barney, bondhu and 3 others like this.
  8. Tankt

Tankt 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2019
    Kentucky
    Never used shallots before. I believe they are the same thing as onions.

Will try soon!

9. Tankt

Tankt 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2019
    Kentucky
    Well, girlfriend showed up with a jar of strawberry habanero jelly. I tasted about half a teaspoon and really liked it but couldn't think of anything to put it on. She mentioned the reduction sauce I was looking for so I may try it on this too.

10. Tankt

Tankt 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2019
    Kentucky
    One question...why melt the butter 1 pat at a time?

11. pentail

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    think cross between red onion and garlic, but milder than either

Tankt likes this.
  12. pentail

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    It's a French technique called monter au beurre, which basically translates to "mount with butter". Melting the cold butter 1 pat at a time into the warm sauce helps prevent the butter from separating and thickens the sauce. It's a good way to finish any pan sauce. If you add it all at once, the butter separates into fat and water and stays thin

invasion36, barney, bondhu and 2 others like this.
  13. Tankt

Tankt 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2019
    Kentucky
    Very well explained. Thank you