Red Grouse Disease In Scotland

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by paint brush, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Brad Lambert

Brad Lambert Fawn

Feb 1, 2012
    Princeton,WV
    Keep up the good work.

2. paint brush

paint brush Spike

Jan 9, 2012
    In Kentucky I have only been out two times. Put up six birds, killed two. The birds were not in clearcut but in cover that was near clearcut. Both the birds I killed were young first year birds.

3. KY Grouse Hunter

KY Grouse Hunter 6 pointer

Nov 2, 2007
    Southeastern Kentucky
    Wanted to fire this back up. This is a big research in Texas and Oklahoma on quail population decline associated with disease possibilities. I have seen birds (grouse & quail) around home with complications like this many times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djo5gzDjA2w

4. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    That's good stuff. Thanks for posting.

5. paint brush

paint brush Spike

Jan 9, 2012
    I first read about this quail research in an Outdoor Life magazine. In Scotland they put out medicated grit for their Red Grouse to eat. The Red Grouse was eating the buds and leaves of heather which had the larvi of a worm on it, in turn using the grouse as a host. When the grouse ate the medicated grit it kill the worm's larvi in them before it developed into an adult worm. They also dusted the grouse moors which killed worm larvi before grouse ate them. Like the sportsmen in Texas I'm fed up with "experts" writing our problem with Ruff Grouse as nothing but the loss of habitat. There's more going on.

6. KY Grouse Hunter

Nov 2, 2007
    Southeastern Kentucky
    Me too paint brush, good thing about this study is that it's words with ACTION. And if Texas/Oklahoma come a conclusion with a relative solution, state fish and wild life agencies will be paying big $$$$ to have those research findings and solutions implemented in their own state. Instead of being on the forefront of this, most states are waiting to see if the hard work and money of other efforts will pay off. But it will cost them in the end to use someone else's solution.

Habitat loss is just half the battle.

Oh and for the believers of the school that turkey has no impact, look at population study's of grouse/quail vs turkey in Kentucky. Complete reversals. This video is a study I am going to do this year in my hunting coverts that the same group of the last video did. Enjoy.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K7Lw_sK0a9Q

7. hitch

hitch 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2008
    I'm sorry, but when it comes to Grouse the answers are obvious.

Blame it on whatever makes you sleep soundly at night.

8. KY Grouse Hunter

Nov 2, 2007
    Southeastern Kentucky
    No idea what this means.

9. hitch

hitch 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2008
    Nevermind, the season is over and I don't really feel like getting into this stuff, sorry you all feel like the end is near for the Ruffed Grouse.

10. agr_hunter

agr_hunter 6 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Over the Hill
    Good video!! May try this experiment this summer.

11. KY Grouse Hunter

Nov 2, 2007
    Southeastern Kentucky
    Well thanks for the input anyways.

12. Brawny

Brawny Fawn

Dec 5, 2007
    End of the line
    Numbers are low everywhere I have been for the last several years, lots of factors involved. Parasites and diseases affect all animals so I don't see how grouse would be any different. Could be a part of the puzzle that has been overlooked.