Recuperation musings

daking

12 pointer
Dec 29, 2004
BULLY PULPIT
This month we’ve got a special bully pulpit to explain a rather cryptic message in the last newsletter. Consider it if you will.

Those of you who read the June edition of the 'Creeker Gazette realize I've been sick. Really sick, as in the doctors gave me an 80/20 shot of needing Ratterman's (a local funeral home) services. Well, I fooled the doctors, therapists and myself. I am alive and well on the mend.

One of the things that happen while you're flat on your back in a hospital is that you have a lot of time to think. When my head cleared, that's exactly what I did. After a great deal of thought, I thought I'd ink this column to save you the trouble of having to mull these vagaries of life over.

First is that only Man has the capacity for anger and bitterness. An animal may attack you to protect its young, protect its food source, if you look like a fuel source or if perceives you as a threat. It is incapable of doing so out of anger or bitterness, just self-preservation.

Is that there is no more bitter taste than that of anger or bitterness. Again, only man experiences it on anything higher than a survival level.

Third is that those who read this newsletter are members of a very unique brotherhood...those who appreciate the bounty of God's green earth and who toil to conserve it and pass it on to another generation.

With those three things in mind, I'd like to address each one of you, friend and foe alike.

First of all, I'm losing my taste for having foes. Sure we might disagree upon the road map necessary to get us to the finish line, but we all seem to instinctively know where the start line begins and the finish line ends. In that vein, I owe a number of you apologies.

Many times I've had strong disagreements with others about the best ways to conserve our resources and to pass our glorious traditions to the next generation. Too often, I didn't necessarily try to register my point or convince the other guy. Shamefully, I was more interested in vanquishing a fellow sportsman. Some of those fights got dirty and welled up the foul taste of bitterness from my stomach. Did it hurt the other guy? Usually not... More than likely, it mattered little to him and I needlessly besmirched the good name of an otherwise nice fellow and put myself in a dither that did no one any good. To that legion of folks, I offer my sincerest of apologies. You probably didn't deserve the ration of fecal matter I dished out to you. It probably blackened my soul more than it hurt you. Richard Nixon made a good point of this very well in his final speech to the White House staff on the morning of his final day His talk said (in part) “And as I leave, let me say, that is an example I think all of us should remember. We think sometimes when things happen that don't go the right way; we think that when you don't pass the bar exam the first time—I happened to, but I was just lucky; I mean, my writing was so poor the bar examiner said, "We have just got to let the guy through." We think that when someone dear to us dies, we think that when we lose an election, we think that when we suffer a defeat that all is ended. We think, as T.R. (Theodore Roosevelt) said, that the light had left his life forever.

Not true. It is only a beginning, always. The young must know it; the old must know it. It must always sustain us, because the greatness comes not when things go always good for you, but the greatness comes and you are really tested, when you take some knocks, some disappointments, when sadness comes, because only if you have been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain.

And so I say to you on this occasion, as we leave, we leave proud of the people who have stood by us and worked for us and served this country.

We want you to be proud of what you have done. We want you to continue to serve in government, if that is your wish. Always give your best, never get discouraged, never be petty; always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself.

And so, we leave with high hopes, in good spirit, and with deep humility, and with very much gratefulness in our hearts. I can only say to each and every one of you, we come from many faiths, we pray perhaps to different gods—but really the same God in a sense—but I want to say for each and every one of you, not only will we always remember you, not only will we always be grateful to you but always you will be in our hearts and you will be in our prayers.

Thank you very much."

In what might have been Trick Dick's finest hour, he clearly explained what I've come to believe on the road to recovery. Hate, anger and resentment are solely the providence of humans and limit us a less peaceful and harmonious life. As I recover, I intend to do everything of which I'm capable of doing to eradicate this flaw.

The other thing I 'm doing here is ranging out on a long limb that I crawled upon in 1990. I want to tell you my gentle and loyal readers that I love you. Not in the:"don't ask-don't tell" way or the used car salesman way, but as members of the sporting brotherhood to which you've allowed me to be part. We are all groping for the same thing, the preservation of our traditions and folkways and the conservation over that which we have been given stewardship. In the heat of battle, it's often easy to lose sight that under our skin, we are more alive than different. I hope that I've addressed this commonality and that I rejoice in it day. We are truly blessed people.

Thank you all for your prayers, blessings good thoughts and visits. You have helped me more with my ongoing recovery than you will ever imagine.

God bless you one and all

dxtsniper

12 pointer
Nov 7, 2009
Turn around!
I have also noticed how much thinking a man does while in the hospital for something serious. Funny how things that were of such importance, seem to not amount to a hill of beans.And the simplest things seem to matter so much. Glad that your feeling better, and still with your family and us. Prayers sent for a speedy recovery.

M

mrdux

Interesting way of putting things in perspective. Glad you are feeling better.

skin_dog1

BBBC Members
Jan 2, 2004
Bowling Green, KY, USA.
Deaths door has a way of changing our perspective. Many of us have been so caught up in our own Opinions that nothing else matters. I'm as guilty of it as anyone and have realized recently that I'm not helping anyone by doing so, especially myself. Thanks for the words, I thuroughly enjoyed reading it and reflected on my own life while doing so.

Also very glad to hear you're on the road to recovery especially with a different outlook on life.