Record Harvest for Kentucky Modern Gun Deer Season

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by JDMiller, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    That's fine, but you are still in the minority with you're opinion. The majority of Zone 4 counties wanted more time to gun hunt.

Also, the bag limit did not change, still one buck, so the idea that an extra week decimated the buck population is again, subjective to you, and you alone.

HCDH66 likes this.
  2. Grago

Grago 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    Pt i said in my post that some people dont have cell phones , or service where they hunt Dont know if you cant comprehend what that means, or what your problem is

3. Bohannon

Bohannon 6 pointer

Aug 29, 2017
    Floyd

So the kill numbers went up, higher than ever, but that didn't change the buck Numbers ? Contradicting statement. An extra week of holler rats shooting bucks most definitely decimated the buck Numbers I can guarantee you don't live here. And you are one of these guys who think the Kentucky fish and wildlife can do no wrong. Well they blew this one. The ehd didn't kill off enough so they extended the season period

4. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    When did that extra week kick in? It's not a contradicting statement when you have facts. And no, I don't live there. But I've hunted in Johnson county next door, and been to Floyd every summer for the last decade. And I'm not talking along US 23, I'm talking deep in the hollers off of the main road. So I am quite familiar with the overall habitat that is the TRUE reason the deer numbers are so low in Zone 4. KYDFW has done plenty wrong IMO, this just isn't one of them.

A quick review of telecheck reveals the previous 10 firearms harvests for Floyd county, which is what I'm assuming we are talking about since it's in your tag line, and squarely in Zone 4. These are total harvest numbers by firearms, nothing else, including muzzleloader.

2019 325
    2018 432
    2017 130
    2016 560
    2015 590
    2014 471
    2013 423
    2011 341
    2010 300

Over the course of that span, 77.8% on Average of the total harvest was male. So, in fact, you ARE wrong, in that with less time to hunt, people actually killed more deer overall. Maybe you should talk to your fellow hunters in the area about what they are shooting, and how many. I'll await the "argument" that the numbers are BS.

Ataulbe1 likes this.
  5. rlb165

rlb165 12 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    I didn’t realize that WV had bow-only counties, but I looked it up and you’re right. That’s crazy to me.
    I do know though, that WV has led the country in deer/car crashes for pretty much forever.
    Is the difference in E KY’s and WV’s numbers because of management or terrain?
    Do you know if WV got hit as hard with EHD as you guys did?
    Finally, I hope the extra week isn’t as bad as you’re thinking it will be. I know it’s not the same thing, but years ago, we went a few years with really low numbers. Now everybody nearby is kind of reluctant to shoot does, because nobody wants to go through that again.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  6. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    I have to say im happy a man’s got a little extra time to kill a deer. Especially one that doesn't get a bunch of time off from his job. Its not like the bag limit has increased. I cant agree with limiting other hunters hoping they aren’t successful so i get a slightly better chance at a big buck.

dirtstalker, bigbonner and barney like this.
  7. Brody

Brody 8 pointer

Apr 7, 2019
    No place like home
    And very,very hard to kill a BIG buck in this terrain. I can use the extra time most yrs. There's bucks that you never lay eyes on after 3 1/2 yrs old! Tough country, 25% skill & stamina, 75% luck, right place right time.

rockhousehunter likes this.
  8. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    I wonder if the numbers may be fake/ not accurate.
    I say this because with telecheck all you have to do is call a deer in . Now I wonder how many hunters called in just so they have their name listed on telecheck
    Then on the other hand how many killed deer that was not called it in.

9. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Guarding my lovely bluebirds
    People, in general, do not seem to be as concerened with honesty, as they were in years gone by, unfortunately, and surely wildlife management is more than aware of such. What Mr. Miller previously stated made much sense. Their database likely contains many if condition formulas, in order to account for that unknown variable and more. It would be interesting to review said formulas.

10. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    If a hunter calls in “just so they have their name listed”, isn’t that what’s supposed to happen? How is that not accurate?

No method will be 100% accurate. But for people who complain, not you specifically, about the number "not checked in", what is the solution? Check stations didn't prevent that in the slightest before, anymore than telecheck does now.

11. Campfire

Campfire 6 pointer

Oct 24, 2019
    Camp
    I like the old system of having to check deer in as well just from a nostalgia standpoint. However I would think telecheck is more accurate just because it is much easier. You have to think there use to be a lot of hunters who would kill a deer buck or doe and think it is to much trouble to take to the check station and just skin it, cut it up and move on. I’d say a lot of numbers were missed on deer killed like that. But no system is gonna be 100% accurate and really if it is off a few thousand either way prolly not that big of deal. It’s just a range between this number and that number they are looking for and overall trends for certain amount of years, I suspect.

12. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    Inaccurate by calling in a nonexistent deer. Some like to brag about killing deer when they killed nothing but they call in just to get their name on the board .

13. Campfire

Campfire 6 pointer

Oct 24, 2019
    Camp
    Which is better and I don’t know the answer. The old system (checkstation) which may have under reported deer killed or new system (telecheck) which may over report deer killed. Would you prefer under or over reporting?

14. hoene

hoene 10 pointer

May 8, 2012
    Northern Ky
    The amount of people that would call in a deer that they did not kill has to be very low.

Campfire, dirtstalker and Ataulbe1 like this.
  15. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    0% chance there are more deer checked in than killed