Record Harvest for Kentucky Modern Gun Deer Season

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by JDMiller, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Gooch

Gooch 8 pointer

Feb 24, 2004
    .lincoln co ky
    Slow here for me But did manage a decent eight point so it’s all good I guess

2. hoene

hoene 6 pointer

May 8, 2012
    Northern Ky
    Acorns all over my farm. Not much shooting in gun season.

davers likes this.
  3. woodsman92

woodsman92 6 pointer

Feb 16, 2019
    Russell Co
    One of the worst seasons for deer activity around here that I’ve seen for a long time. And most hunters I’ve talked to say the same. Record low number of shots heard, and at our local gathering place which holds a big buck contest there has been very few brought by to check in.

rockhousehunter likes this.
  4. Southpaw

Southpaw 10 pointer

Oct 2, 2005
    Northern Ky
    I hunt 3 diff zone1 counties and sightings were way down in 2 of them. 2 of my friends are taxidermist an have half the deer as usual. I think Euro mounts are the reason for this tho. Very few big deer killed around me tho and that is a first for prob last 10-12 yrs

5. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I don't believe it...
    and it's not because I didn't hear a single shot this year either.

6. redjackson

redjackson 6 pointer

Dec 4, 2010
    Barren County
    When you are allowed 4 deer with a firearm I believe it will be a record year next year too. Easier to fill your tags imo. We seen deer but no more than typical.

7. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 12 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    Probably in the kitchen Ky
    Think about the number checked, and not checked. But also consider those wounded and never recovered.
    In any event hunters gave em hell this year.

8. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    Individual observations of deer numbers, shots fired etc are 100% subjective.

For everyone who thinks the numbers are BS, what’s your solution to getting an “accurate” count of harvested deer?

BowOnly and 1wildcatfan like this.
  9. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 8 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    It is not possible. It is merely an estimate.

rockhousehunter and barney like this.
  10. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    Another saying in the surf world:

"Statistics are like bikinis; they show you a little, while nothing at all".

11. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Need to sun that perinium!

HuntressOfLight likes this.
  12. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Not trying to argue for or against Telecheck .... as every system has it flaws and there’s not a system invented that doesn’t have those that cheat the system. All in all any type of game check-in is an honor system. Those that hunt legally will abide by the rules.. those that don’t...just don’t.

Which is why zones and limits are not set by harvest data only. Which I’m not trying to make out that I know all the formulas & data that goes into those decisions. But I’ve had it explained a few times that there’s x-percentage that includes non-reported / poached, vehicle collisions and natural mortality.

Overall this portion of the model ...the numbers are fairly staggering. Its basically equal to or above the number reported into Telecheck. So if we kill a 100k of deer... a 100k based on those other factors are figured into the formula that’s plugged into the model based on the overall herd population.

Which back to my comments on any system being an honor system.... I would say the numbers on Telecheck are correct... and the review portion actually ties it to a person. I’d be hard pressed to believe someone took the time to report something they didn’t kill. Just realize their only one portion of data that manages the whitetail herd.

hoene and HuntressOfLight like this.
  13. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    You express yourself extremely well. I like looking at the data. What other portions manage the whitetail herd, please?

14. Grago

Grago 8 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    I liked check stations better, just for the simple fact you were seeing or hearing about the bigger deer killed around the area as for numbers go , they can only do the best they can , i always call deer and turkey im before i leave the field , if it was this way probably be more called in . It would be very easy to fill out your tag then if someone gets home and gets it in the freezer print off another license and tag. But some people dont have cell phones or may not have service where they hunt . As mentioned before the ones that Legal are gonna be Legal the ones that dont want to be are probably not going to be so all they have to go on is what people report

15. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    I’d be happy to share that information.... only if I knew what it was.

Which going back several years on this site there was much discussion on Telecheck and KDF&WR’s in general. Back then we actually had several CO’s and even a few biologist visit this board from time to time. We also had members that were highly involved with many wildlife organizations in KY.

Honestly it was a wealth of information shared on here about any wildlife subject you could think up. I wish I’d paid a little more attention back then and unfortunately we don’t have that happen anymore.

HuntressOfLight likes this.