Recommend turkey ammo

Jerod

10 pointer
Oct 30, 2008
KY
For 870 express mag 28" barrel, rem full choke. What shot are you guys using that doesn't cost a leg and patterns well. I have some Remington premier hevi shot that I've yet to shoot. It's several years old. I have about 5 of them.
Past few years I've used a Hastings 24" with full choke with nitros. They don't pattern worth a damn past 20 yards. I went back to the factory barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meatstick

12 pointer
Oct 25, 2013
Washington County
Winchester Longbeards are a safe bet. I've yet to see a gun that didn't like em. And if that Hastings barrel is a WadLock then they will really shine

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Jerod

10 pointer
Oct 30, 2008
KY
Thanks stick. Are they pretty expensive?

trust me

Troubled Loner
Nov 27, 2004
Jerkwater, KY
You just have to gather up a bunch of different loads and try them on paper. My 870 w/TruGlo choke doesn't make softball sized patterns but it does okay out to 35 or so yards with some shells, waste of powder and shot with many others.

BucksnBeards3

6 pointer
Apr 9, 2014
edmonson county
Winchester longbeard xr. 3" #5's ouy of my 870 with a carlsons longbeard choke are deadly combinations! Im sure those your full choke with the longbeard shells will work fine though. I think they are 21$ a box

Teach Deer

8 pointer
Aug 4, 2013
Georgetown
I patterned the same gun last year with several brands of shells and a whole series of choke tubes...

I had two brands that really shined with the Remington Super Full 0.665 tube...but when I stepped back to just the standard Full choke tube, they separated quite a bit...
Since you indicated a full choke (not sure if this is a tube or fixed)...the ammo that ran the best patterns was Federal's MagShok 3" 2 oz load of #6s with the Flite Control wad...it actually beat the Longbeards with that tube and the modified tube... The Longbeards beat (but not too badly) the Federals through the Super Full tube though...

kymailman98

10 pointer
Dec 20, 2009
Christian County
Winchester supreme No. 5 shot.

Back when I was shooting 12 gauges, both 3 and 3 1/2 inch guns, that's all I used. I never had a shotgun that didn't like the Winchester Supremes. Now days, I shoot a 20 and use whatever shell I happen to buy, because they pretty much all shoot the same. But, I do prefer 5 shot over any other size.

HNTRJH

6 pointer
Jun 28, 2010
Hard to beat hevi # 6's out of Indian creek choke. Use that combo out of an old 835 and my stoeger 3500.. Awesome patterns...

Jerod

10 pointer
Oct 30, 2008
KY
I patterned the same gun last year with several brands of shells and a whole series of choke tubes...

I had two brands that really shined with the Remington Super Full 0.665 tube...but when I stepped back to just the standard Full choke tube, they separated quite a bit...
Since you indicated a full choke (not sure if this is a tube or fixed)...the ammo that ran the best patterns was Federal's MagShok 3" 2 oz load of #6s with the Flite Control wad...it actually beat the Longbeards with that tube and the modified tube... The Longbeards beat (but not too badly) the Federals through the Super Full tube though...

Thank you brother !

Semp

10 pointer
Feb 4, 2008
Kaintukee
Another vote here for Winchester XR Longbeard 3" 5 shot out of a Mossberg 835 x-full factory choke. Awesome!

Latest posts