Recipes

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by Capttrae, Jul 5, 2021.

1. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    Well the meat has been on for a while . This picture was a hour after I started . I have used three different thermometers and have three different temps.
    Two butts , one rib and a small tenderloin .
    I planed on rain last night and today and thought it would be a day off , but all this hot air and no rain we could have been doing something else on the farm.
    [​IMG]

2. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    I just wrapped my ribs and tenderloin.
    4.5 hours of cook time . How do they look to you ?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Nock, drakeshooter, bondhu and 3 others like this.
  3. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    Looks like a feast to me. Couple pounds of sweet spicy coleslaw and a pack of buns, gallon of sweet tea and I’d hurt myself.

bigbonner and barney like this.
  4. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    I's bust a gut on that smoker of meat. BB, Good job

bigbonner and barney like this.
  5. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    I can not get this cooker to adjust right . My temps are running close to 275 F and I was wanting 250 F
    I am still working on things . I jut wrapped the Butts up for the final cooking and to wait until they reach 203 F.
    My wife has alpha gal but she said she would take some Benadryl if she has to. I did see her sneak a piece when we wrapped them up.
    I have cabbage ready to turn into Cole slaw and tater salad in the fridge.
    My ribs are cooling and are about ready to eat.
    Damn this is a lot of work.

Nock, bondhu, Feedman and 1 other person like this.
  6. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Don't worry about higher temps to finish. Hell, crank it up to about 300 and eat sooner!

Munson, bondhu, bigbonner and 2 others like this.
  7. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    I don’t understand why you would wrap a meat for the entire “smoking” process. Seems counter productive.

Tankt likes this.
  8. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Barney you said a while back to not worry your food to death. I’ve truly learned from that simple but profound advice. I no longer freak out about minor fluctuations in temperature. I don’t worry about the perfect seasoning mix. I just try to use common sense and make sure I don’t over cook

barney and Feedman like this.
  9. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Never mind. I watched the end of the video. Makes sense.

10. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
  11. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Thanks, Ed.

12. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Nice smoke ring bb

barney likes this.
  13. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    I am so proud of my first smoke cooking . The smoke ring was good and my pork butts had a good ring on them to . You can tell in this picture , the pink meat was from the smoke ring. I pulled the butts late last night and eat a few pieces. They were soo good and tender .
    My nephew was diagnosed with Covid yesterday and late last night my brother and his wife are on the couch and in the bed sick to.
    I may take some pork over to them and see if they need any groceries. Hopefully they can eat.
    Hopefully I can make a sauce for the pulled pork . I know a lot of you like slaw on the sandwiches but I am a sauce man.

[​IMG]

bondhu, Brody, Feedman and 5 others like this.
  14. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

That pork needs no sauce in my opinion. I rarely use it when I smoke.

bigbonner likes this.
  15. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

I sometimes have a hard time staying at 250 on my egg. I think it depends on how you place your charcoal so it will jump to the next piece. It wants to smother out so if I see it drop down around 225 I'll open it up until it hits 250 and choke it back down. It will continue to rise some anyway but I don't sweat it too much. If the meat stalls I'll crank it up to around 300 to get it going. Wrap at 170 then pull at 201 then place in towels in a cooler. The temp will still rise a bit to around 205 but you can leave it for hours if you like. The bone just falls out during the shred.

bondhu, Feedman and bigbonner like this.