Read this

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Wildcat, Jun 26, 2015.

1. baknblack

baknblack 10 pointer

Jan 30, 2014
    Henry County
    Maybe, maybe not. What about the guy who likes to participate in dangerous outdoor activities. Shouldn't he pay more for his choices. Just sayin.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

2. baknblack

baknblack 10 pointer

Jan 30, 2014
    Henry County
    And, lol. I wonder how many of us on here might be a few lbs overweight. Shouldn't we pay more for our poor choices? Make no mistake about it. This is where the country is headed. In 100 years we'll be charged our premium based on our DNA profile.
    Is this the America we want for our grand kids?

3. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    I don't know if you are being sarcastic or not, but I definitely think that is within the realm of possibility...assuming they don't establish a single payer system first (which I think is the next logical step).

4. KYBH4Life

KYBH4Life Banned

Feb 13, 2011
    No lie. When I bounced in my younger days, word would get around to my workplace. The plant manager pulled me aside and told me he and the Pres of the company didn't approve of it and my insurance would not cover any injuries. I so much wanted to tell him "You don't own me. What I do on my own time is none of your business. " But I just nodded and said I would keep that in mind.

5. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    I totally agree the smoking ban was just a stepping stone. I don't smoke and never have,
    But believe its not my business to tell others what they can or can't do.
    The ball is rolling and there going to knock everything they can down until we stand up for each other even if we don't like the cause in front of us.
    If you try cherry picking the things that only matter to you alone were in trouble.

6. baknblack

baknblack 10 pointer

Jan 30, 2014
    Henry County
    Amen

7. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    A few pounds? No. A 100.....yes. I know a guy that very heavy and smokes and drinks like a fish. He has now gone on full disability and is paid to set home and get fatter and more unhealthy. We are paying for that. He has made some bad choices and is rewarded. Seems odd how many on here are against people setting home and getting a free ride yet in cases of smoking , drinking , and being extremely obese, they seem to side step the issue and not want personal responsibility . . I don't get it. I don't drink , smoke , and I'm at a health weight because I work at it to keep it at a healthy level. Why shouldn't I be rewarded for making good choices ? If a person gets a good job because they made good choices then why reward the guy that did not ? Personal responsibility ....that's all I want.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  8. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    The giving a drunk social security is the one that really chaps me. Alcoholism isn't a disease its a choice! Unless you were born picked from a mother who drank like a fish while pregnant, you did it to yourself. Obesity in a lot of cases is not a choice but rather a chemical imbalance in some.
    Others are just lazy and sit around eating all day waiting for the mail.
    To me if you get a DUI after wrecking your car, insurance shouldn't have to pay for your car. Why should they pay if you were engaged in a illegal activity. Fix the persons car hit and then the insurance company should be reimbursed by the drunk for repairs paid. Everyone premiums would go down.

9. baknblack

baknblack 10 pointer

Jan 30, 2014
    Henry County
    Modern medicine and life extending treatments has introduced some costly problems. In the good ole days poor choices meant an early grave.
    I just don't like the government and large corporations deciding what is best for me.

10. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    No one can tell you what's best for you. You are free to do as you wish. Smoke, eat, and drink all you want...just don't ask me to pick up the tab for your care. The person doing these things to themselves know it's a risk. If you want the party in your body then you pay the bill.

The guy I described may have genes that cause him to gain weight easier but when you eat fried food and massive amounts of it then I call BS on it. He is the only one to blame. He doesn't even try to change his habits. Who should the blame fall with?

11. AteUp

AteUp 12 pointer

Mar 14, 2004
    Luavul
    Sadly, I agree. Many, many, many more lives. gun control saves 0.

12. baknblack

baknblack 10 pointer

Jan 30, 2014
    Henry County
    I don't smoke, drink very little, maybe 10 lbs overweight. Was a runner all my life. Still didn't stop me from getting heart disease and a 7 way bypass at 45 yrs old. The bill for the whole thing was 75 K of which 5k was mine. Thank you for paying the other 70k. My family appreciates it.

13. KYBH4Life

KYBH4Life Banned

Feb 13, 2011
    He has a point. Sh!t happens to people every day who seemingly do everything right. I had a good friend in my 20's who ate right, didn't smoke, drank very little, and looked like an amateur body builder. Was diagnosed with cancer on a Tuesday, first chemo treatment on Friday. Had a heart attack on the ride home from the hospital. 27 yrs old. RIP Polecat

14. baknblack

baknblack 10 pointer

Jan 30, 2014
    Henry County
    And on the other end of the spectrum I've seen people do everything wrong and still live to be 90 without much strain on the Healthcare system.
    Sorry about your friend.

15. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    I'm not advicating punishing everyone who gets sick. I'm just saying some live a lifestyle that we know highly increase the chance of costly medical care. Last year I was in the hospital for what I thought was a stroke. I had many test and never came to a conclusion of the problem. Could have been brought on by migraines. I live a low risk lifestyle yet something happened. I have insurance but still was out a chunk out of pocket. I think some are over thinking this. Should a person that drives a hot rod and has 20 speeding tickets pay the same for insurance as the guy that never had a ticket. Yes the guy that doesn't have ticket could get one but for the most part he is a lower risk and should be rewarded.