rattlesnake re-introduction

Discussion in 'Fish & Wildlife Questions' started by oracle, Feb 5, 2015.

1. oracle

oracle 6 pointer

May 25, 2009
    Heard a rumor that rattlesnakes were being stocked in a couple of the new WMA. Is that true?

2. KYH5N1

KYH5N1 10 pointer

That must be what all the FW trucks have been doing on KY River. Or do they drop them out of helicopters? I've seen several Blackhawks up that way this week too.

3. CSS archer

CSS archer BBBC Members

Dec 13, 2001
    Central KY
    No, rattlesnakes have never been "stocked" by KDFWR, ladybugs either...

4. I work in this area and i can verify the blackhawks....last summer while walking these areas i did run into some snakes that scared me...just by aggression ...never was able to identify ...but sounded like a rattler to me

yote hunter likes this.
  5. kcbrown

kcbrown 8 pointer

Oct 27, 2006
    Come on Joe, everybody knows they were put there to control the mountain lions:devilish:

6. dxtsniper

dxtsniper 12 pointer

Nov 7, 2009
    Turn around!
    Thats just a silly rumor. They are actually stocked out of the blackhawks to control the problem bigfeet in some areas. I thought everyone knew this. It was in the Ky hunting guide a couple years back I think...

7. patiodadio

patiodadio 8 pointer

Mar 22, 2014
    Man, it would take a big Rattler to eat a Bigfoot ! Must be some kind of hybrid.....

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  8. KYH5N1

KYH5N1 10 pointer

I figured they were putting them on KY River WMA to feed the Eagles. That way the Eagles would stay on the WMA and not sit in my front yard every day harassing turkeys.

9. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    They restocked them a few years ago down our way. Said they were to eat the turkey eggs.

10. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    My cousin was in the National Guard and he said they were dropping rattlesnakes out of helicopters and into the pot patches to try and kill the dope growers without anybody knowing it.

But the dope growers already had rattlesnakes in their pot patches to keep people from stealing the dope, so the rattlesnakes mated and now we're covered up with the things.

yote hunter likes this.
  11. oracle

oracle 6 pointer

May 25, 2009
    Sounds like the answer to rattlers being re-introduced is a big no. I'm relieved - thanks.

12. KYT

KYT 8 pointer

May 3, 2008
    Eastern Ky.
    That is the key--"reintroduced". There is no need to reintroduce rattlesnakes in Ky. They never left. They were always there and still are-- more in some areas, less in others. They are rarely seen in some areas that have no shortage of them. I was outdoors in a county in eastern Ky for 40 years and saw one rattlesnake-- and it was a very young one that no doubt had parents and venomous siblings nearby I never saw. I made that little devil into a good rattlesnake so no one will see it again.

13. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    This is a Serious Question.
    Many years ago we had many many Copperheads on our farm. In one particular bottom, we would kill at least 2 with the mower and bailer every time we cut hay.
    This was BEFORE the Coyotes were moved in.
    I now cut this same Bottom 3 times a year and haven't seen a single Copperhead in years.
    Do you think the Coyotes could be responsible for killing the Copperheads...if so, I like Coyotes.
    CSS Archer is possibly an expert? What do you think Joe?

14. patiodadio

patiodadio 8 pointer

Mar 22, 2014
    One time when I was young, we found a rattler in the yard. My daddy stuck a hoe down by it and it bit the hoe handle. He killed the snake and later that day the hoe handle started to swell up. That hoe handle swelled and got as big as a telephone pole ! Well, we had that hoe handle sawed into lumber and built a hog pen out of it. In a few days the swelling went down and the hog pen shrink and squished our hog to death.

Trapper Delk likes this.
  15. kcbrown

kcbrown 8 pointer

Oct 27, 2006
    First liar don't have a chance.

patiodadio likes this.