Rattled this feller in......

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Fred in Ky, Oct 20, 2007.

1. Fred in Ky

Fred in Ky Spike

Jan 19, 2003
    Bryantsville, KY
    Had a great morning!!! I was in an opening between two ridges loaded with oaks. I had deer running and grunting under my stand by 6:30. I was pumped before it was daylight!!! :) Around 7:15 some does started passing through and 4 stopped to feed on acorns. They were around 20yds from my stand and up wind so I just stayed nice and still. The does feed through the area and I started some low grunts and just light tinking of the rattle bag. I would grunt a couple times and rattle for a few seconds every 5-10mins. At 8:10 things went crazy!! A group of does ran out of a thicket to my right and they were chasing each other and playing. After they were around 40yds from me, I grunted and rattled again. A 4pt buck came in from in front of me and kept looking behind me, he was raising his upper lip and smelling. I kept still. He still was looking behind me. The does were 40yds to my right. I eased my head around and saw a nice 8pt buck around 80-90yds behind me but due to trees I could not get a shot. I stayed put and let things happen. I grunted again when the 4pt buck went into the thicket the does came out of and I heard another grunt. I thought, was that a deer? I picked up the rattle bag and rattled pretty hard. Then the 4pt buck ran back out into the opening and the buck in the picture grunted again. He was over my left shoulder and in thick stuff. I grunted and saw him run out into the opening behind me. I could not "swing around" and shoot because all the deer around me. I started slowly moving into position to try and get a shot. Once I was around enough to see, he was not there but the 8pt was.....still trees in the way. I grunted again and rattled very hard. Now all the dang does were looking up at me and the 4pt buck was froze. I thought we it's over now. Then this dude runs back into the opening and stops behind a tree. Son of a gun. I can't get a shot. He runs back to the thicket and stops, grunts and starts stomping the ground with this left front leg. I thought, if I can follow that leg up and shoot him in the chest he's mine. I follow the let with my scope and he helps me out be turning some!! Now the scope was on his neck less than 60yds away. BOOM!!! He fell like the world dropped on him! What a morning. I was pumped. He is not the biggest I have killed but I have never had a more action pumped hunt in my life. I don't know how old he is but the only teeth he has are the front ones, gums only from there back. A little over 170 field dressed and 13 scoreable points. 17 1/2 wide. I think he will be a fine mount, lots of character.

2. killer

killer 12 pointer

May 7, 2004
    "In that good way!"
    No pics????????

3. Fred in Ky

Fred in Ky Spike

Jan 19, 2003
    Bryantsville, KY
    I don't know why the picture is not showing up. I used the "attachment" button. If someone will post it for me, I will e-mail it to you.

4. KYhunter79

KYhunter79 12 pointer

Dec 11, 2003
    Irvington, KY
    Great story. But there are no pics! I want to see him.

5. Bradley

Bradley 6 pointer

May 14, 2007
    Leitchfield
    great story!!!! got to have some pics.

6. KYhunter79

KYhunter79 12 pointer

Dec 11, 2003
    Irvington, KY
    Here are the pics for Fred.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. KY_Fried

KY_Fried 10 pointer

Nov 13, 2003
    Foster, KY, USA.
    Very nice deer sir. Congrats!

8. woodhippy

woodhippy 6 pointer

Nov 11, 2003
    Marion County
    Looks like double brows on one side..

9. deerslayer61

deerslayer61 6 pointer

Dec 17, 2003
    vine grove, kentucky.
    Congrats on a fine looking buck!! What kind of grunt tube were you using?

10. piebald buster

piebald buster 8 pointer

Nov 9, 2006
    Glasgow Ky.
    Nice one indeed. ;) Congratulations!

11. fusion308

fusion308 8 pointer

Nov 23, 2005
    Thats a good buck,congrats

12. Fred in Ky

Fred in Ky Spike

Jan 19, 2003
    Bryantsville, KY
    I use a grunt tube that I got from Jackie of Jackie's deer lures. I have used it since 1996 or so. There is not writing on it at all. Just a grunt tube.

13. Ballard County Bounty

Ballard County Bounty 6 pointer

Sep 4, 2007
    Ballard County
    Awesome deer. Congrats....Thats a great feeling!

14. bigeza2000

bigeza2000 8 pointer

Oct 11, 2007
    Harrodsburg, KY
    Deer

Good deer! Congrats!! Good to see!!