Rats!

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by ParallaxError, Sep 20, 2020.

1. ParallaxError

ParallaxError Fawn

Apr 24, 2017
    Kentucky
    Or maybe, Rats?

Do people still have rat shoots? I remember when I was a lad, my father would mention them, usually at the town dump. That changed when the town went to compactors.

I stumbled on some videos of rat shoots in England, with high power air rifles and night vision, and some during the day and wondered if anything similar happened around here.

Thanks.

Thomas Roberts likes this.
  2. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    I've been to a few yrs ago, but it was just some of us going to the dump and having fun.

Thomas Roberts likes this.
  3. Thomas Roberts

Thomas Roberts 6 pointer

Sep 5, 2019
    Falls of Rough Kentucky
    My dad worked for the town when I was a kid and I used to go to work with him when I was on summer break and he had landfill duty. Used to take my .22 and whenever there was nobody at the landfill I could have at them. Definitely good practice and serves a purpose. Miss the old days.

riverboss likes this.
  4. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    Rat Shoots were a big deal in the town dump closest to me years ago.
    Then a couple guys got shot....and it was strongly discouraged. Then they went to Landfills.

riverboss likes this.
  5. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    Where I grew up my neighbors had a old basement left over from a house fire, they threw there garbage in it till it filled up then would set it on fire.
    We had fox hounds and we had lots of rats to deal with. On days they would burn I would go on a killing spree , they will eat each other right after you kill it!
    The 410 got a good workout I couldn't use my 22 to many chances for bullets going into buildings or cars and houses.

Had a beagle in the cold winter lots of snow get his belly eating out of him while he was sleeping! Went to feed' he didn't come out of his house I could see him blinking his eyes so I pulled him out and his stomach was half gone I had to shoot him in the head and then proceed to have a big old rat shoot!

Feedman and barney like this.
  6. ParallaxError

ParallaxError Fawn

Apr 24, 2017
    Kentucky
    Sounds like rat shoots are a thing of the past.

I'm looking for an excuse to use a new .22, getting back into the game after a very long hiatus. I've seen airgun vids about removing starlings and pigeons at farms, but I'm thinking while an air rifle might be allowed, a .22 probably won't be, due to chance of overpenetration/damage.

Anyone have any ideas? Any vermin-infested location or situation that might welcome someone with a .22?

Thanks.

p.s. Riverboss, that sounds horrific, I hope you got justice for your beagle.

riverboss likes this.
  7. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    I sure did! It was to frozen to bury him but by the time I got done we didn't see any for months.

8. Riflelooney

Riflelooney Spike

Aug 7, 2016
    I’ve never been on a “rat shoot” like I hear about in the “good ole days”

but we get them in our barn. Lots of fun with a double deuce.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Timholt70

Timholt70 6 pointer

Oct 25, 2019
    Christian county
    looks like fun.way to shoot!