Rate your season

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by wademup, Nov 26, 2018.

1. wademup

wademup 12 pointer

Feb 5, 2004
    benton, ky, USA.
    Just interested in your opinion of this year ( so far ). I only had one day where chasing was really great , we had 5 hunters on over 500 acres and only saw 2 or 3 bucks 3.5 or older with a doe in rifle season. Saw tons of deer and lots of bucks but very little true rutting activity. Just curious if your season was similar.

2. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 10 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    Early season was great. Saw lots of young bucks and does. Had lots of pics of 3-4 mature deer on camera all the way through October but never laid eyes on any of them. One was killed about 2 miles away I know for sure during rifle season. I ended up harvesting a doe and young buck and my parents ended up with 2 young bucks and a doe to take back to eastern Ky. Overall it ended about the same as always with the amount of meat we put up. The quality of deer seen with my eyes was worse than the past few seasons and I didn't see the first deer chasing. Seen plenty of lone does in November but never one with a follower. The little guy I killed the second weekend of gun was the first antlered deer I had seen since the Wednesday before gun season. I hunted all day for 7 days straight with only doe sightings. I was happy to harvest him after putting in the time I did!! He was the only antlered deer I saw during gun season hunting the entire first week and killing him on Saturday morning of the second weekend.

3. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 12 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    Still in the kitchen Ky
    Saw a lone 8pt saturday and another 8pt bed down with yearling doe yesterday. Heard action in the woods, grunting and chasing. Saw a yearling doe cut through a field early on.
    All in all not a great season. Deer seemed rutted up ans bed down the whole time, probably chased more at night since it was so hot.

4. jasunky1

jasunky1 6 pointer

Dec 14, 2007
    Eastern Kentucky
    By far the most fun I’ve ever had during rifle season! Opening morning I passed on a nice 10 at day break. Continued seeing deer all day. Passed on a decent 11. Seen 14 deer on that morning with 5 bucks. Later on in the week I missed a monster. Then 4 days later I filled my buck tag on a stud! Very blessed!

mykizha and RLWEBB like this.
  5. dabassking

dabassking 6 pointer

Sep 16, 2015
    Central KY
    Out of 10, I’d give it a 5. I’ve killed a doe and my biggest buck with my bow so in that regard, it’s been awesome.

What really sucks is that my wife hasn’t seen a deer all season. This is her 4th year hunting and she’s dead set on using her bow to get her first deer ever. Now the first 2 years weren’t real serious. We did a few sits in the ground blind and that’s about it, but this year and last year she’s hunted hard out of a treestand. We saw several deer last year and she drew back on 2 of them, but never got a good shot. This year has been a ghost town for her. She’s really losing motivation and I completely understand. I think she’s done for the year, but hopefully at the beginning of next season, she’ll still want to keep trying. I just wish I was a better guide.

elmucho277 and RuggedRack like this.
  6. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    i was off work last week and in the woods with family, didn't sit but a few hours and saw one spike when i did sit. i rate it a 10.

xbokilla likes this.
  7. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    Dogs dog dogs dog dog dogs dogs dog dog dog more dogs oh then a few more dogs a couple cats some does and nice buck last AM and the last PM more dogs.. Over all I give it a 6..

8. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    Sept and Oct I had so many deer in gun range I lost count. Gun season rolls around and the woods went quiet! But any day out hunting is a good day. I was able to get out alot this year and loved every minute of it. Looking forward to the rest of the season!

elmucho277 and 1wildcatfan like this.
  9. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    I rate mine as satisfied. Saw deer every day in a zone 4. I'll take it

farmertom and 1wildcatfan like this.
  10. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Not great. Decent. But not great. We saw fewer does by a wide margin and a lot of younger bucks. Don’t really know what’s going on.

carnivore likes this.
  11. Brown Dogs Matter

Brown Dogs Matter 12 pointer

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.
    Crap. First year in five that I haven't taken anything during gun season. Hunted 13 of 16 days. Personally s as w three deer. Two of those were on the neighbor, so I couldn't shoot. The lone one I did see, I threw the shot. It was downhill, at least 120 yards out, and no rest for the rifle. Pretty sure I shot under him.

Son got his biggest buck to date, so his season was good. That was opening day. He saw seven deer total after that, with three of those on the neighbor.

Crap.

12. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    Scale on 1 to 10 rate it a 5 seen less year than I ever have. Took a good buck but not on my farm. Had to go to buddies farm during gun season just to see a deer

13. Todd H

Todd H 6 pointer

Nov 7, 2011
    South Central, KY
    8...no buck but doe for the freezer and hunted more than I ever have. The time in woods alone was enough. Sure I'm frustrated that I blew a shot on a great buck and got pretty mad at myself but in the end it was awesome and still got time. I really think lock down hit allot of gun only hunters hard!

xbokilla likes this.
  14. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    A 10. Saw deer, saw turkeys, and enjoyed God’s creation. Have not pulled a trigger yet, but it ain’t over yet.

Ataulbe1, 1wildcatfan and carnivore like this.
  15. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    Greenup, ky, USA.
    To early to say really but at this point and time it's around a 3 . I hunted two weekends in October during bow and three in modern so far total 10 days of all day sits . As of today I've seen 4 does and one yearling buck. I'm hoping once all the Nancy's get out of the woods we get some nice deep cold to put some deer in these big green plots that they have ignored all season long. As of now there's no way I'm shooting a doe and a buck will walk unless he is a nice mature animal.