Rat Hunting

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by Rat Man, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Rat Man

Rat Man Fawn

Aug 2, 2017
    Louisville, Kentucky
    I am interested in purchasing a Sig - Sauer .177 caliber air rifle however, before I do, I need to locate some hunting grounds for rats, does anyone know a place where this varmint could be hunted? My guess would be a barn with rats in it perhaps. I am located in Louisville, thanks in advance.

2. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Shouldn't be hard to find a rat in Louisville.

3. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Every court house in America,lots around Washington ,shot rats around old garbage dumps growing up,old barns and corn silos is where I'd start to look.Check with the farmers around.

4. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    The local dump, a .22 with rat shot and a cooler full of cold can beer provided hours of entertainment back in simpler times.

Rat Man likes this.
  5. Rat Man

Rat Man Fawn

Aug 2, 2017
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Thanks for the responses, I agree that years ago, in a much different culture we would visit the local dump and pluck away some varmint, but sad to say, in this culture, I'm sure I would be violating some law. If anyone knows someone or knows of an area please let me know.

6. Gooch

Gooch 8 pointer

Feb 24, 2004
    .lincoln co ky
    check around u of L i bet u find some RATS

7. richief

richief 10 pointer

Jun 20, 2012
    down a holler SE KY
    Find someone that keeps chickens and show up in the evening.
    Or if in the hood, setup around the dumpster at the chinese restaurant.
    My sister inlaw takes the train into Manhattan sat nights with her bedlington terrier and stays up all night with her club R.A.T.S. hunting the alleys.

8. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    I' ve seen video of folks in NY, maybe your SIL, turning their little foo-foo dogs loose in the alley and those little things can go through the rats sure enough, fun to watch. When I was a kid I had an Airedale that cold tear them half just by shaking them.

richief likes this.
  9. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    A sure enough dog man by the name of Brian Plummer developed a strain of little terriers that are hell on rats (clip below). He's got quite a few books on ratting and sighthounds. His books are hard to come by nowadays as he's passed on.

To the OP: How about tree rats with that air rifle instead of ground rats? Plenty of fun to be had there.

Scsteve and richief like this.
  10. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    I've seen people doing this on a documentary. Apparently hunting rats with dogs in the city has become a big subculture. Kinda funny.

11. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I've spent many an evening at the hog lot flushing rats from their holes with water for my dogs. Big fun!

12. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    Delaware at Old Shep. back of subdivision next to the ditch. take plenty of rounds. some will need 2.

13. mrjohn12

mrjohn12 Fawn

Jun 1, 2016
    Back in the day city dumps were a popular place for teenage boys to blaze away at rats. These days they mostly don't allow it for liability reasons. If you find a place with a rat problem and they allow you to shoot you have two options: fast/slow and near/far. Fast and near you want a quick action .22. We used pump and lever action, but a good semi auto would be the ticket today. Slow and far you set up a sniper spot 75 to 100 yards from your intended targets and patiently wait for them to pop up. If there's any background noise they probably won't hear the shots and you can take several before they know what's hitting them.

14. Some local landfills will allow hunting on weekends when they are not working. Not officially but if you get to know the staff, it can be done. Distilleries are handling tons of grain and spent mash. Fantastic place to shoot rats. Talk to owners as staff can usually not authorize such activities. An old ethanol plant near me used to have pigeons as fat as chickens, so fat they could no longer fly and rats as large as house cats. It was a problem and they employed a team of two marksmen who used 22 shorts to keep the varmints at bay. Grain silos, or corn cribs, etc. Squirrels are fair game with pellet rifles. Being in Louisville, I would suggest visiting the distilleries or the grain suppliers storage locations. I liked the dumpster idea but if you plan to do this inside city limits, check in advance with local law enforcement. In Lexington they had pigeon problems and Metro PD kept a collection of pellet rifles you could check out like a library book to kill pigeons and the SWAT team keep some silenced 22's that they would use for same for practice if the land owners was too squeamish to do the job themselves. Not sure if that program is still in operation. Ask at LPD and you might get some new ideas. These days walking around town with a gun of any kind is going to get attention. Be aware and choose locations wisely.

Irish

15. Born to Hunt

Born to Hunt 8 pointer

Oct 20, 2005
    Edmonton, KY
    Interesting...I didn't know anyone hunted rats anymore