Rangr finder

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by kyoutdoorsman, Sep 22, 2019.

1. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Is it illuminated?

2. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Not trying to persuade anyone for one brand or another... just sharing an experience I had.

My first rangefinder was given to me from a friend who I did his plumbing in a shop he was building. Which I wouldn’t take any money from him and one day I come home to a package at my front door... brand new Bushnell Sport range finder.

It was pretty basic model but it meant a lot to me as a gift. I used it for two seasons and started noticing black specks when you looked through it. They were on the inside and even though the range finder worked good.... it was distracting as all get out. Which I checked the paper work I got with it the warranty had expired.. it was like a year.

So... I thought what the heck... I’ll call Bushnell and see if it could be fixed somehow. I called and honestly explained to the guy the story I told here. Guy i spoke to was pretty nice and told me to just send it back and they would see what they can do. He gave me a return number to ship with it and I mailed it off.

Probably a week or so went by and I get a call from Bushnell. They started off telling me that when mine was made they had some lens coating issues and they deemed the problem with mine was their fault.

Then the guy starts asking me if I would be Ok if they replaced it with an upgraded model. I said sure... thanked the guy and told him I was appreciative of their customer service. Just been easy and pleasant experience.

About 2-3 days later... again find a box by my front door. It was a brand new Bushnell Chuck Adams series rangefinder with ARC. Roughly about a $100 higher model than the one I had.

I’ve used it now for about 9 or 10 seasons and have not had a minutes trouble. Which I’ve never been a huge Bushnell fan concerning scopes and no doubt have bad mouthed them a few times prior to this.

But they shut me up... couldn’t have been happier with the customer service I received and I’d buy another Bushnell because of it. Which I’m sure there’s plenty of other brands as good or better. But like a lot of things.. I figure companies are only as good as the support they provide.

RLWEBB, jblack1 and hoene like this.
  3. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 10 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    . I just “pulled the trigger” on this rangefinder. This appears to be a pretty good deal, at least I hope sohttps://www.camofire.com/index.php/Deals/5

4. beauhunter41031

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    I got the muddy 650 for Christmas. It’s not terrible but the lady paid 110 on Amazon. I’ve only taken it out of the box and played with it a little in the house but I’m sending it back I think this Bushnell is far beyond

5. Buckkillr

Buckkillr Fawn

Dec 15, 2019
    Ohio
    I use a nikon, nothing wrong with it

My son got a Halo for Christmas from someone 2 years ago for bow hunting, still works great and is spot on accurate, cheap and really lite

6. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Does it have an illuminated reticle? After going through a few, for me, that's the #1 most important item to have. Only needed ARC one time, in the mountains of Montana. Unless you're very elevated AND shooting long distances, not needed.
    Vortex and leica are illuminated, there may be others. Vortex, i bow hunt with, is cheaper than leica. i had leica rangefinders 20 yrs ago, quality units.

7. beauhunter41031

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky

Is the illumination important for low light scenarios or do you just benefit all the way around?

8. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Low light mainly, but easier to read anytime. First one i had, non-illuminated. Couldn't see reticle or read out at low light. Had to raise it to the sky to read it. Dumped that one real quick.

beauhunter41031 likes this.
  9. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I had a Bushnell with ARC since probably the second year ARC rangefinders were a thing. Numbers started fading last fall even after changing the battery. For no more than I used one, I bought a Halo off Amazon and I’ve liked it. Nothing fancy but serves the purpose. I mainly like to range spots from blind/stand. You’re lucky to get a 60yd shot even with a gun where I hunt.

10. Buckkillr

Buckkillr Fawn

Dec 15, 2019
    Ohio
    Yep exactly! 90% of my kills, gun or bow are within 30 yds. It's in my nature to find the deer sign and hunt over it , heck the only time I use a range finder is in practice. These bows now a days are plenty fast enough to compensate a few yds of mis judgement

11. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Unless it’s straight up/down, out to 30 and you’ll get very little change in flight distance. I usually sit in 15 ft ladder stands. Like I said, I mark trees, stumps, etc...rarely use it on the animal. As you said, use it mostly for target practice.

Buckkillr likes this.