Range finder ever cause you to miss a deer??????

bluedog69

Spike
Dec 16, 2003
Stanberry, MO, USA.
Rangefinders are affected by weather conditions and reflectivity. They are not fool proof. Owners manual should explain.
What we discovered since we started shooting in 3D is that we have seen rangefinders read a white or tan animal target 2 to 3 yards different than a black target.

This is why we bought a Bushnell Broadhead to try out. So far it doesn’t matter what we point it at it has been within .3 of a yard in real measured distance.

In reality most guys can’t shoot good enough to know. But when you can nail 12 rings a high percentage of the time you know when the distance wasn’t right.

bluedog69

Spike
Dec 16, 2003
Stanberry, MO, USA.
For those of you who are wondering if this is relevant at all, I now think this cost me a buck last year.( I never quit reflecting and thinking
on how to get better)
My old range finder reads 33 - 34 on a black block target when it is really 30 yards measured distance.
So, when I set my pins up to 20, 30, and 40 with the range finder on that black block target, the real distances were
less.(18, 27, and 35 ish)
Last year I hit a buck low on the chest...like right on the ribs and sternum. He was at "35" on the range finder. The shot was
calm deliberate and felt perfect. Left and right was perfect it just went 6" low. So if the deer read a true 35 yards, I should have been
using my 40 yard pin(40 yard pin was set up on black block target that was in reality only 35 yards).

In bow hunting many come up with excuses. This is a legitimate proven excuse.(in other words I'm not trying to make excuses)

Just a phenomenon all should know about. (trying to help others make clean kills who may be doing the same mistake I was)

Drahts

12 pointer
Apr 7, 2015
KY
So in 2005 I was in Kansas on Whitetail Rifle hunt. Gun (06) I can shoot out to 600 accurately without question. Have shot it to 750 on target, but I won't shoot game over 600 with it. My groups at 600 are usually @3" or less.
Horrible week, first 3 days were below zero and snow with no movement at all but a few does/fawns at dark. Day 4 weather got sunny and 10. I saw deer all day off and on, and about 4:30 a 160+ buck stepped out to feed. I ranged him with the Bushnell and got no reading. Ranged a bush close to blind read it ok. Tried again no bueno. Changed the battery to a new one that I had in my shirt pocket so it was warm. Ranged him, it read 456. I questioned it cause I felt that seemed far. Ranged again, 456. Set up, got steady and squeezed. He hunched and mule kicked and ran back to the brush. Guide got there and takes me back to the house, we eat and go back out to look. Start to track from shot, not much blood, just some now and then. Decide we should wait til morning and I go back to mark last blood the were going to the truck. None of them could walk a hill without bout dying of lack of oxygen (in shape they were not) anyhow knowing I'll prolly beat em to the truck I start up the hill but don't see their headlights. I hear some yell "there he goes" and I see a spotlight shining all over the ravine. Well they decided to do a body cavity search and jumped him bedded and pushed him onto property we couldn't get permission to track on. Guide says well I doubt that was him. Next morning we went back and there was blood in the bed the deer came from. At the blind I rearranged the spot with a buddy's Leica and it was 356. So I shot him in no mans land below the spine most likely. So I guess the range finder did cost me a deer. Bought a Leica the next week. The Bushnell is laying in the brush in Kansas after I chucked it down the ravine. Guide cost me the deer though, had the dumbasses not done a body cavity search he prolly would have been laying in his bed still and could have been shot in his bed. Hard to say though. My Leica and Sig range exact and are dead on.

bluedog69

Spike
Dec 16, 2003
Stanberry, MO, USA.
As does my Leupold. My Bushnell however, is all over the the place +/- 4 yards. Always was
Yeah I switched to Leupold after my 1st shoot at Foley, my Bushnell was 3-5 yds hot or not at all. My Leupold is on the money even in fog and rain.
MFJJ. Podium archer on YouTube has checked the new Bushnell Broadhead rangefinder with the Leupold Full Draw 4 and says it is spot on.
My Leupold and 2 cheaper Bushnell were equally inaccurate.
I do know our new Bushnell Broadhead is just about as accurate as a tape measure.

bluedog69

Spike
Dec 16, 2003
Stanberry, MO, USA.
So in 2005 I was in Kansas on Whitetail Rifle hunt. Gun (06) I can shoot out to 600 accurately without question. Have shot it to 750 on target, but I won't shoot game over 600 with it. My groups at 600 are usually @3" or less.
Horrible week, first 3 days were below zero and snow with no movement at all but a few does/fawns at dark. Day 4 weather got sunny and 10. I saw deer all day off and on, and about 4:30 a 160+ buck stepped out to feed. I ranged him with the Bushnell and got no reading. Ranged a bush close to blind read it ok. Tried again no bueno. Changed the battery to a new one that I had in my shirt pocket so it was warm. Ranged him, it read 456. I questioned it cause I felt that seemed far. Ranged again, 456. Set up, got steady and squeezed. He hunched and mule kicked and ran back to the brush. Guide got there and takes me back to the house, we eat and go back out to look. Start to track from shot, not much blood, just some now and then. Decide we should wait til morning and I go back to mark last blood the were going to the truck. None of them could walk a hill without bout dying of lack of oxygen (in shape they were not) anyhow knowing I'll prolly beat em to the truck I start up the hill but don't see their headlights. I hear some yell "there he goes" and I see a spotlight shining all over the ravine. Well they decided to do a body cavity search and jumped him bedded and pushed him onto property we couldn't get permission to track on. Guide says well I doubt that was him. Next morning we went back and there was blood in the bed the deer came from. At the blind I rearranged the spot with a buddy's Leica and it was 356. So I shot him in no mans land below the spine most likely. So I guess the range finder did cost me a deer. Bought a Leica the next week. The Bushnell is laying in the brush in Kansas after I chucked it down the ravine. Guide cost me the deer though, had the dumbasses not done a body cavity search he prolly would have been laying in his bed still and could have been shot in his bed. Hard to say though. My Leica and Sig range exact and are dead on.
Yes, I would trust all of mine to be closer to being on at long rifle distances than at bow distances. Sounds crazy most assume if it ranges out to 600 yards 30 should be a piece of cake.
Not the case though. Thats why we bought the Bushnell Broadhead...it is very precise at bow ranges.
Last summer my boys had a good time shooting 400 yards with a 300 win mag, a 22 hornet, and a 17 hornet. Kind of crazy the 17 and 300 share the same ballistics to 400.
My oldest stacked 3 out of the 300 WM under 2" at 400. (It is not a great shooting gun either.
Long range is fun stuff!