Raising a scope to high?

Discussion in 'Modern Firearms' started by Jacobhwrd, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Jacobhwrd

Jacobhwrd 6 pointer

Jan 26, 2014
    Richmond, Ky
    I have a savage axis 22-250 with a vortex diamond back mounted. I was zeroing it in last weekend and realized (after I was done) that the bolt was slightly rubbing the bell on my scope. I took it back to sportsmans warehouse and had a taller set of rings put on and bore sighted again. Today I go back to zero it and the first shot was 10-12 inches low. I go to adjust it and I only had 2 clicks and it was maxed out. I have raised scopes before and never had this problem. Could this be something they did wrong? Something I did wrong? Or a combo? I really don't want to lower the scope and have it rub so I'm not sure what my options are at this point. Any help would be great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    I would start by trying a different brand bases and rings. There are a ton out there. I guarantee someone on the forum has this exact same gun with low mounts.

A quick google search revealed that the Axis will use the same bases as the Savage 10 or 110.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  3. mwezell

mwezell 12 pointer

Jan 22, 2006
    Auburn, KY
    This video is very much worth watching. It addresses what you're seeing and the best fix for it. Very good video, IMHO.

[video=youtube_share;wcRAX5OLtJE]https://youtu.be/wcRAX5OLtJE[/video]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  4. Jacobhwrd

Jacobhwrd 6 pointer

Jan 26, 2014
    Richmond, Ky
    The scope needed medium mounts to start but would still barely rub. I am going to watch the video when I get home though.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

5. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    If the eye relief of the scope allows, just ease the scope back a bit in the rings and see if the bolt will clear.

6. Brawny

Brawny Fawn

Dec 5, 2007
    End of the line
    Some rings and based have a dedicated front ring/base and rear set. You may want to check the rings/based to see if the both are the same height.

7. web splitter

web splitter 6 pointer

Feb 3, 2015
    i can attest to the effectiveness of the Burris rings & offset inserts combination.