Rain suit

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by travass.burke, Sep 30, 2016.

1. travass.burke

travass.burke Fawn

Oct 13, 2014
    I was wondering if anyone uses rain suits

2. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    i never leave for a hunt without my gore tex rain suit packed away. its always the second thing i pack, TP being the first.

travass.burke likes this.
  3. 4UK

4UK 6 pointer

Oct 14, 2009
    Johnson co Ky
    Yes , Frog Toggs, can get them reasonably priced , very good over you other clothing . Very packable. Best way to do it is wear it to stand then use a tree umbrella , works great.

4. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    What specific model do you have? What kind of guarantee did it come with?

5. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I'm going to invest in something. I got rained on yesterday and only had a little $1 plastic raincoat in my backpack and when it says one size fits most it does not mean my fat arse!

travass.burke likes this.
  6. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    cableas from a few years ago. don't have any idea about the warranty. i've wore it in Montana, New Mexico and Alberta on more serious hunts. never had any issues with it.

7. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    thanks. I am always looking for the one that is actually waterproof and stays that way. haven't found it yet.

8. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    If you want serious rain gear check out some of the bass fisherman rain suits. There serious outfits. Not cheap but you aint gonna get wet.

9. dmullins

dmullins 6 pointer

Aug 3, 2006
    Letcher County
    I just purchased the space rain jacket and pants from cabelas. A little pricey $160 for pants and jacket but they are about the most packable I have seen. Each go in a small bag about the size of a pop can. Haven't tried them out yet but they had good reviews.

rockhousehunter likes this.
  10. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    To me ... good rain gear for hunting is every bit as important as our guns & bows. It will make or break a hunt... literally. As there's nothing as miserable as staying wet for days on a hunt when your a long way from home. Which anyone needs to look at good raingear as an investment.

I've got a set of Cabelas rain gear... pants & jacket I've had for a very long time... 15 years or more. Thinking it was called mt050 or something of the sort. Gave like $250 back then which I thought was terrible but I was doing a lot of turkey hunting in other states. Already been miserable on one trip in particular and said not going to happen again.

It's not Goretex... wished it was.. but it's worked well. It's breathable , quiet and packable. It's always kept me dry but it's one of those things I won't put on unless it's raining or forecasted. I won't wear it otherwise just as everyday hunting clothes. It stays in my pack and goes with me wherever I'm hunting. Which it's one of those things that you take care of... it will give you many years of service.

But looking back on it now.... if I was to go out tomorrow to buy new... I wouldn't hesitate to drop $400 or even 500 on the best I could get. It's worth every penny to have when you need it.

rockhousehunter likes this.
  11. Claims Rep.

Claims Rep. 6 pointer

Feb 6, 2010
    This is my exact setup, and it works VERY well. As long as I can get in the tree and all set up BEFORE the rain starts then I'll be good to go.

12. Tufrthnails

Tufrthnails 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2014
    Lakeland, FL
    Same thing I do.

13. rockhousehunter

rockhousehunter 8 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    West Liberty, Ky
    Only if its raining. lol
    Seriously though, in gun season, my hunter orange coat is gore tex fleece and works great for stopping the rain and being quiet. I also have gore-tex coveralls and boots. I have a little more of a problem in warm weather rain because I don't have a ton of waterproof bow hunting stuff but do have camo gore tex coats and caps.

dmullins likes this.