Rain,rain.

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by littlebear, Jun 28, 2020.

1. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 10 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    I would think leaving the grass tall would give more protection for the birds. From the sun and from predators

2. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    I left them small hiding spots directly at the base of their parents roosting tree and more, but you must recall the snakes like that tall wet grass to wait, hiding from the watchful parents. Now they cannot do so.

3. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    Speed read of this looks to be a good write-up. I hear more thunder, and so I am getting back on it all (plenty more to accomplish... ).

https://varmentguard.com/blog/keep-snakes-away-summer

4. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    See if you can imitate his accent. :D

I'm covered in grass clippings and dripping wet, because the recently repaired lawn mower quit upon me, just as I was running it through the drainage ditch by the street one last time. It's down there covered with a tarp. The repairman is soon to receive a call.

Short-lived downfall, but finally enough to thoroughly water all the plants, with thunder continuing to roll throughout the air. One lightning bolt hit with instantaneous thunder, just as I cleared the roof of the deck where one of my dogs sat patiently waiting. It caused him to jump so very high out of his chair, and I don't think he appreciated my laughter over it. No flooding here, as of yet.

5. Munson

Munson 12 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Dang im glad we didn't get that much. In that short of a period it would be devastating to places in EKY. Not necessarily where I live but further east. Seems like brethitt had 7" in a half day or so in it washed every homestead on the creek down and wadded em up in a pile. Best I remember they called it a "cloud burst' lol

6. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    I am grateful we haven't seen that much here in Elliott. We've had plenty but nothing like that.

7. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    We had more of a downburst, which has left standing water in certain places on the property, but the majority has already made its way to the drainage ditch. I doubt the destructive moles having recently taken up residency within the backyard survived, being that they chose the wrong path. Fortunately the riding lawnmower is no longer stuck in the drainage ditch and started right up, after having cooled down, but I advised the mechanic anyway.

He had previously told me its a 4-stroke, and so I'm not messing with it. I told him I want the tank, lines, and carb cleaned this time. When I called, prior to this last rainfall, he said Paducah was already flooded. Meanwhile, I am glad I will no longer be breathing dust storms while mowing, and the birds are extremely happy about all of the easy pickings. Here is a summary for recent days:

https://www.weather.gov/pah/june28flood

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  8. bird whisperer

bird whisperer 10 pointer

Aug 16, 2012
    Hog Town USA
    Drove form Bardstown to Springfield yesterday. The crop fields in the bottoms were under a lot of water but it looked like the water had already dropped 4ft. Was sitting at the house this afternoon and it opened up and dropped 2.6 Inches in a about 45 minutes.