Rain & mice....

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Lady Hunter, Jul 16, 2021.

1. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    Anyone else experiencing a home invasion with all the rain we've had??? I mean we live in the country & occasionally have little furry visitors show up in our basement and even the kitchen every couple of years. But THIS is frickin' ridiculous!!!!!!

My husband got up around 5:30 this morning as usual while I tried to sleep in another hour or so. But I kept hearing something behind me - between the bed and the window.

I assumed our dog Freddie had come in to snuffle at something. I kept hearing it though so I rolled over to look & he wasn't there. Weird. Then I started to reach for my glasses on the nightstand AND THERE WAS A MOUSE SITTING ON THEM!!!!! And then it ran straight towards me & the bed.

I did what any strong competent woman would do. I SCREAMED LIKE A LITTLE GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My husband came running, I was freaking out, trying to find my glasses that had gotten knocked halfway across the room (I'm pretty much legally blind without them), and was trying to get untangled from the covers becuase for all I knew, that mouse was still in there with me!

He finally got my glasses, I made it out of bed & I was standing in the hall door (still freaking out slightly because I really wasn't awake and a mouse staring at you & then charging you isn't something you should deal with in a half-awake state), and the same mouse (antoher one???) came running down the hall ACROSS MY FOOT and into the bedroom.

Cue more screams.

My husband got pretty irritable with me at that point.... I think he thought I was making it up. Anyway.... Bed was stripped, glue traps were placed around the bedroom & in the guest room as well & I went on about getting dressed, getting breakfast, etc.

During breakfast, my husband spilled oil on his good shorts so I took them, treated them, and decided to just take the laundry down & run an entire load instead of just the one pair of shorts. I picked up the laundry basket in the bathroom & there was something gray in the corner behind it.

OH HE** NO!!!!!!

Oh he** yes. Two beady little eyes looking at me. I stared at it. It stared at me. I hollered (hey, at least I didn't scream) for the hubby to come help me and bring something to SMASH!!!!

He showed up with a plastic ice cream bucket... Smash?? Ice cream bucket??? REALLY????? But he got the bucket over the mouse & I headed on downstairs with the laundry. I have no idea what he did next. I don't want to know. I don't care. I just want all things small gray & furry OUT OF MY FREAKING HOUSE!!!!!!!

Munson, timer, drakeshooter and 7 others like this.
  2. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Seen the movie Ben?

00noturkey and JR in KY like this.
  3. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Trapline has been hot lately, had a few smart ones that would eat the cheese without setting off the trap. I dont like the glue traps but they work well on the smart mice. Fold and stomp method freaked my wife out when some entrails ended up landing on her bare feet from across the garage. Oops!

4. littleboots

littleboots 6 pointer

Sep 24, 2008
    Had a bunch move in the storage shed

5. KYote-Krusher

KYote-Krusher 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2006
    South Central Kentucky

ROF!!

You should get them little collars and give them all names ... they'll become just like members of your family! :p:D:D

00noturkey, rockhousehunter and Carl like this.
  6. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    Nope. No way. No how. NOT HAPPENING!

Love my dogs but they don't leave poop & pee all over the place & chew up my belongings. At least not any more. Thank God they outgrew the puppy phase... although 2 are now very old Seniors (14 year old Belgian Sheepdog and 12 year old German Shepherd) and have occasional "accidents."

And WHAT THE HECK WAS THAT MOUSE GOING TO DO TO MY GLASSES???? I just got them (to the tune of over $500, I told you I was pretty much blind) - it sure as heck better not chew on them!!!!!

KYote-Krusher likes this.
  7. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Peanut butter works pretty good

Brody likes this.
  8. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    I probably need to rig up one of them drownin bucket traps. Although I genuinely prefer instant death for my prey

9. PUBLIC RAT

PUBLIC RAT 8 pointer

Feb 18, 2014
    Probably saw its reflection in glasses and thought it was another mouse. Just guessing.

10. rockhousehunter

rockhousehunter 10 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    West Liberty, Ky
    Maybe it was an older mouse and just needed to borrow your specs to see something with. Hahaha

11. KYote-Krusher

KYote-Krusher 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2006
    South Central Kentucky

LH, if the truth be told ... my bet is that 90% of the people on this forum would've reacted exactly like you did, 6% would have required a change of underwear and the other 4% would have just fainted.

You did good! :D:D

Lady Hunter and PUBLIC RAT like this.
  12. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    I have lived in my house for 16 years. Over that time, I've trapped about 6 mice total until the last year............I'm over 30 in the last 8 months !!! Not sure what has happened, but something is driving them in the garage. I keep 3 traps set with peanut butter at all times. Rain is as good a guess as any, but I'm sure we've had wet stretches far worse than this year. My problem goes back to the winter.

barney likes this.
  13. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Check weather strips. It just takes a tiny, and unnoticed gnawed corner to open a 4 lane highway!

bowhunter269 likes this.
  14. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    Speaking of mice in your home; I looked out my backdoor, Sunday afternoon, and saw this Guy sitting on my porch stairs.

P1010001.JPG

15. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    That is the dude from"Caddyshack"