Rage Broadheads

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by JKLMcClure, Sep 8, 2013.

Tags:
  1. JKLMcClure

JKLMcClure 6 pointer

Jun 3, 2012
    Like an idiot, after everyone had told me not to buy an expandable broadhead, I did anyways. I shot a 150 inch ten pointer last year, and caught the back of his shoulder and it destroyed the Rage. This buck lived and we had photos of him in January limping, and have photos of him in August. But, this morning I made a perfect shot on a doe, and had a pass through shot. We went 60 yards before we found the first blood, and tracked her 350 yards before running out of blood. Blood was bright red and had plenty of bubbles in it, so I know I got a lung, but we never did find her. 90% of our blood trail was pen drop size spots, and it was far and few between.

Long story short, I'm going back to Muzzy's. I also need to know if anyone has ever had to send Rage's back for their "game retrieval guarantee" garbage, and if so what kind of luck did you have?

2. jb917

jb917 8 pointer

Oct 21, 2009
    Ewing, KY
    I now shoot slick tricks. Because I was going on a Colorado elk hunt and I wanted a fixed blade broadhead. With that said I have killed 6 deer, 1 bear, and 2 turkeys with rage 2 blade. I have only lost 1 deer with rage and I shot her right in the shoulder. From my experience if you hit them in the right spot with a rage it will be a short, easy tracking job. But after killing 3 deer and now an elk I will stick with slick tricks. jmo

3. Jerod

Jerod 10 pointer

Oct 30, 2008
    KY
    I'm a slick trick fan as well. No more mechanical after target practice this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. davidj

davidj Spike

Oct 23, 2006
    I know results will vary from case to case, but I shot a 10pt this weekend with a Rage Broadhead. I accidently caught him on the back edge of the near side shoulder, but it still went far enough in to poke a small hole in the other side of the deer, just behind the shoulder. Lungs were trashed and the deer only went about 70 yards. I'm only pulling a 60lb draw weight too. I might not get so lucky next time, but for right now I'm a big Rage fan!

5. LSOSGT1109

LSOSGT1109 10 pointer

Jul 22, 2012
    Laurel County
    I shot the Rage two blade last year and had good luck with them. Shot a doe and an 8pt and they both went down within sight. The doe was a pass through and the 8pt got both lungs but hit the opposite shoulder and stopped. This year I'm shooting the Rage Hypodermic and they seem to be alot better head. The only reason that I'm shoot a mechanical is because I can't tune my bow so that a fixed blade will have the same point of impact as a field point. I know it's possible to do and I'm sure that there are guys on here that could take my bow and make it happen but my tuning abilities are limited so I'm shooting a mechanical.

6. kyhunter1992

kyhunter1992 Fawn

Sep 9, 2013
    crittenden co
    any broadhead will kill a dear just have to have good shot placement. the few that do survive are just bad luck or holding of breathe. myself will only shoot. NAP bloodrunner and killzone. just killed a 160 class 10 pt yesterday with the killzone. 100 yrd pile up. check a few trends up that says 165 gross velvet and see

7. The Truth

The Truth 6 pointer

Nov 19, 2009
    A "perfect shot" with a field point and a pass through will kill a deer. The fact that it went 350 yards should tell you that maybe you didnt hit where you think. Todays bows are fast maybe you were off. No matter what head you use a hit high that clips a single lung is not a quick death. Im guessing that you also took up the blood trail pretty quick and pushed the deer even further. I agree rage has fooled people into thinking that even bad shots are no problem to recover, but this sounds more like human error than product malfunction.

8. Exatly, well said. Deer don't get away due to poor broadheads, they got away due to poor shots!! Kills me how people blame it on the equipment, it's human error!

9. Pointpuller

Pointpuller 8 pointer

Feb 15, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL.
    Most lost deer are from poor hits. Some are lost due to unskilled tracking. Some are lost due to dull broadheads. Some are lost because of malfunctioning expanding heads. Just to clear a few things up.........a mature deer will not succumb to a field point through the lungs. I once shot a 110lb doe dead center through both lungs with a dull broadhead. (Accidently pulled my snake arrow out of the quiver). When I got down 3 hours later and trailed her up she was still alive. Finished her off with a sharp head. Sharp dependable heads are the most important part of bowhunting in my opinion.

10. Buck_Nasty

Buck_Nasty 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2009
    Laurel County
    You do know today's Muzzy's are now manufactured by RAGE don't you? I don't know it to be true or not, but I have heard the old Bad To The Bone Muzzy of old is not the same Muzzy since RAGE bought them out and began manufacturing them. Don't know that to be the truth, but just what I've heard from others who have bought new Muzzy's is they are not of the quality they once were.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  11. Fat Tony

Fat Tony 12 pointer

I stay boring and have been using Thunderheads for 15 years. Sure there are better broadheads out there but why mess with what has always done what I needed it to?

12. buckfever

buckfever 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2002
    Harrods Creek Ky, USA.
    How did you recover the broadhead? Did the Rage it bounce off of his shoulder blade or pass through?

Are you sure it was a "perfect shot"? Sounds like you hit her high, which would explain a lack of blood trail with any broadhead.

What's the "game retrieval guarantee"?

I've shot a lot of deer using a lot of different broadheads. I've shot maybe 50 deer over the past 10 years using a Rage broadhead. I've shot maybe another 30-40 deer using other broadheads. I probably have recovered around 85% of the deer I shoot.

I've never had a Rage fail to open, but that (i.e. mechanical failure) did happen to me on 2 occasions years ago with NAP Spitfires. One of those was on an 8 pt buck. He didn't even know he had been shot. He just walked off and bedded down about 50 yards away. An hour later he lowered his head and never raised it again. The entry and exit wounds looked just like I had shot him with a field point.

Although I fully agree that mechanicals don't provide the penetration power of a fixed head, I think that Rages get better penetration than most mechanicals because the slip-cam design is more efficient. At bottom, I definitely think most fixed blades provide better shoulder-breaking capacity than any mechanical, but taking a shoulder hit out of the equation and speaking in generalities here, it's been my experience that shot placement (and not the type of broadhead used) is the principal factor in determining the blood trail (or lack thereof).

13. danf26

danf26 8 pointer

Nov 5, 2009
    southeastky
    i never used a rage, why would i change from three blade muzzy they are tough as nails and shoot true and do the job whithout paying 50 for 3

14. Hoytman87

Hoytman87 6 pointer

Aug 19, 2013
    Laurel County
    Any broadhead on the market will do its job as long as you do your part and make a good shot jmho

15. JKLMcClure

JKLMcClure 6 pointer

Jun 3, 2012
    Question #1 : I recovered the broadhead, and the entire thing was bent. The blades were bent, the tip was flat, and the broadhead was crooked from the threads up to the tip.

Question #2 : The shot I made was a quartering shot, and based on what we found, we're assuming I only hit one lung. However, one blade was fully extended, and the other blade didn't expand at all.

Question #3 : Rage has a guarantee that if you don't get your game, and their broadheads don't meet your standards, that you can send them back to them as retrieved, and they will give you your money back.

You can't expect a mechanical broadhead to bust through a shoulder, and I agree that this shot was on me. However, a quartering shot and I watched it blow out her opposite side, and you track them for 350 yards to me is unacceptable. The deer didn't even know I was in the woods, and she didn't try to duck the arrow either. Either way, I'm going to get my money back for these broadheads, and switch back to the Muzzy's I bought 5 years ago and never hunted with.