Rage 3 blade.

Discussion in 'Archery Equipment' started by Rhino, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Rhino

Rhino Spike

Jul 22, 2011
    NKY
    Anyone ever have problems from the Rage 3 blade broadheads?

2. Buck_Nasty

Buck_Nasty 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2009
    Laurel County
    Get you a set of Grim Reapers Broadheads and you won't have to worry about any problems.

3. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    I never had any problems with them.

4. Rhino

Rhino Spike

Jul 22, 2011
    NKY
    Thanks guys.. Just thought about trying some new broadheads. I have a buddy that shot some and said there was a difference in penetration from his old broadhead..I was just wondering if the Rage is worth all the hype.

5. philipfleek

philipfleek 12 pointer

Feb 24, 2008
    philville, KY
    I hate the dang o rings. they always opened in the quiver and tangled up with the other heads.
    Muzzy mx3's for me.

6. I prefer the 2 blade Rage compared to the 3 blade. The 3 blade to me seems to have more oportunity to have the blades "catch/lock" on one another during deployment. This issue does not seem like it could happen on the 2 blade since the blades never cross the paths of one of the other blades like they do on the 3 blade. Just my $.02 having shot and used both. That being said, I will be shooting Slick Tricks this season.

7. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    Depends on what he is comparing them to. Any mechanical is going to have less penetration than a fixed blade.

8. dxtsniper

dxtsniper 12 pointer

Nov 7, 2009
    Turn around!
    I totally agree with this post. I have never shot the 3 blade but shot the 2blade rage heads for several years and never had a problem at all. This year I have dropped my draw weight from 70lbs to 55 so I am going back to a smaller cut on contact head because of my light draw weight and short draw length. I feel like rage heads work better with higher draw weight bows, because of the large cutting area, and need that to get a pass through. Every deer I shot with a 2 blade rage head was dead with in 40 yards and they leave a heck of a blood trail.

9. B.G.O. of Kentucky

B.G.O. of Kentucky 12 pointer

Nov 19, 2002
    Louisville, Ky, USA.
    Never shot them, but from much of what I read and have seen, they just don't penetrate as good. If I were trying one, I would think I would stick with the 2 blades. I use mechanicals and have never had a problem, almost always pass throughs, but I have seen many videos where the Rage doesn't penetrate nearly as good as I would like. But dear lord do they leave a blood trail.

10. rys40

rys40 8 pointer

Nov 29, 2006
    Lawrenceburg, KY
    Good luck with the Slick Tricks?

They donated a few packs to our NASP benefit shoot for this weekend. Since they arrived, I have been curious about them.

11. dxtsniper

dxtsniper 12 pointer

Nov 7, 2009
    Turn around!
    I used those before rage and will go back to them this year or g5 strikers. The slicks are a great head imo they don't usually plane out are tough(they just made the blade even thicker this year) and hold up very well to contact with bone. A very good all around head that has never given me a moments problem just wanted to try out rage heads. I wish they hadn't raised their price from the old days though, You used to be able to get 3 complete heads for $25 now it's more like $35 but still well worth it.

12. Buck_Nasty

Buck_Nasty 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2009
    Laurel County
    I can't compare a fixed to a mechanical because I've never had a Grimreaper not do a complete pass through. They are bad news and the only broadhead I use. One head is good for two deer. I shot 2 two years ago with the same head and it went through like slicing butter both times.

13. useyourbow

useyourbow 12 pointer

Lancaster Archery has Magnums for $27.00.

FYI Went to Slick Tricks this year for the first time.(converted from Rage) Out of the box hit exactly where my field tips hit at 60 yards.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  14. Xcal1ber

Xcal1ber 12 pointer

Jul 16, 2011
    Couple ridges over
    [IMO just use a fixed blade because then you will know 100% of the time when that arrow leaves your string that it is open and ready to do damage. Thats why im a muzzy man cause theyre sharp, duriable, cheap and you cant leave out the cool muzzy decal they come with :)