1. lobuthunter

lobuthunter 6 pointer

Aug 18, 2011
    north logan
    Need some good rabbit recipes please

2. KYBH4Life

KYBH4Life Banned

Feb 13, 2011
    Me too. I cooked some last night according to what some guys on here told me to do and it didn't turn out well at all. My wife and daughter have trouble with the toughness so I pressure-cooked it in a canner and then fried it. It was tender but dry as hell and no flavor at all. They told me to pressure cook it for 10 minutes, which I did. However, since I used a canner vs pressure cooker, I don't know if that made the difference or not. It has a 15 lb weight on it but the gauge showed 17 lbs. Should I cook it for just 5 minutes or do I need to get a lighter weight?

As it were, I'd rather it be a it tougher and flavorful and juicy like fried chicken.

3. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    Like chicken, rabbit doesn't have a whole lot of flavor. That's why most say they taste alike.

Rabbit is sort of a dry meat anyway and if you overcook it, it's like eating a roll of paper towels. I bet you could brine it like you do chicken or turkey to help that out a lot.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  4. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    I've always just cut it up & tossed it in a crockpot with a bottle of bbq sauce poured over it.....

5. B Hicks

B Hicks 12 pointer

Sep 29, 2006
    Lancaster, KY
    Ring it, "flare it" and fry it..

6. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    pat it dry, dust in flour, dip in buttermilk, season, dredge heavily in flour, fry it slowly. just hot enough to sizzle. slap your mama good.

7. Fry it just like you would squirrel, by starting with small young hill rabbits. Just like gray squirrels, if they are older and tough, you have to parboil or pressure cook first and like you said, you cook the flavor right out. I always toss the old ones in dumplins or like Lady Hunter, in the crockpot, juiced up. Anyway, with the young ones I dip in egg, then roll in seasoned flour and put in medium hot grease to set the flour. I then turn down the heat to simmer and cover for 20 minutes. I turn my heat back up to heat oil to medium high and flip. Reduce heat, cover, 15 more minutes and then if you need, turn heat back up to desired crispiness. Everybody says my squirrel is as good as they have ever had, but my secret is no secret. Anybody can slow cook young squirrels. Did I mention slow and young?

8. KYBH4Life

KYBH4Life Banned

Feb 13, 2011
    ok, I'll make sure I get measurements on the next rabbit that blitzes by. If it's too old looking, I'll let it keep on running. ;)

9. TripleGee

TripleGee 12 pointer

Sep 13, 2003
    Somerset
    That's a whole lot easier to do with squirrels ain't it?

10. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Sure is...I won't kill nutty squirrels.

11. I would suggest picking out the young ones after you shoot, lol.

12. I use a cast iron Dutch oven filled with vegetable oil heated to exactly 350. I let the rabbits soak overnight in buttermilk, then roll in egg wash, cover in flour and drop in the hot oil. After a few minutes they are ready to eat!

13. hodges

hodges 6 pointer

Sep 19, 2010
    kentucky
    all we do is put em in a baking pan on there back feet up and put butter inside the rabbit like inside rib cage and then put butter around it in pan and season it up and put in oven on 350 for 1hr 30min.

14. RackAholic

RackAholic 8 pointer

Oct 26, 2005
    Up in tree or in a boat
    I cut the meat off the bones and cut into strips. Put some milk/buttermilk in a bowl and add an egg and mix well. Put fillets in bowl with milk and Eggs. In a separate bowl I put flower and some Tony's seasoning and mix it up. Dip fillet in flour and drop in the fry daddy. It's awesome.

15. philipfleek

philipfleek 12 pointer

Feb 24, 2008
    philville, KY
    Fry at a low temp for along time, ma that sucked at cooking did this and at the last 5 mins dumped half cup of water on and covered. But, like I said she couldn't cook a thing.