Rabbit hunting growing up

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by mudhole crossing, Dec 16, 2021.

1. Michigander

Michigander 8 pointer

Dec 8, 2014
    Radcliff
    been there done that, glad those days are behind me LOL

riverboss and Tankt like this.
  2. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    I've had a birddog since I was 12. Saved up my paper route money to buy it. Nobody in my immediate family hunted. My dad would drop me off, I'd knock on doors and he'd pick me up at a said time (mom sometimes too). I'd usually have a limit of pheasant, and a few rabbits and if lucky a couple ducks. When I got in my teens but not driving my step uncle took me under wing and taught me to deer hunt and turkey hunt. Then I started driving and when out of HS I would go to SD, KS and MO every year at some point. On any hunt, if rabbit was open I'd shoot em cause my dogs always (and still do) point em. We would get a group together (10-12) and hunt this one creek bottom on my uncles farm, and kill a pile of rabbits and some woodcock and an occasional grouse. This fall running dogs around my place I have seen an uptick in grouse. I put up 4 a couple times this year.

bondhu, Feedman and bowhunter269 like this.
  3. cedar creek

cedar creek 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2014
    Have some good memories rabbit hunting as a kid, with dogs and faimily and a lot of solo stomping around with a chocolate lab, he would jump them but that was about it but he at least give you a chance on a run shot,

Carl likes this.
  4. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    I think the raptor population has exploded in the last 25 years

Carl likes this.
  5. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Got any on camera?

6. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    None saved but yes caught several, and i only ran 1 cam for a couple weeks 3-4 times this year. No owls though which is weird cause them things are everywhere here