rabbit articles repeating stupid tips

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by rustyspinner21, Dec 23, 2020.

1. rustyspinner21

rustyspinner21 Spike

Nov 11, 2010
    Northern Kentucky
    i've rabbit hunted all my life,but I'm always searching for new articles to upgrade my skills or learn something new. Two tips always seem to come up that I absolutly have no belief in. Was wondering if anyone here has had luck with these or truly believes in their merits. I happen to believe that writers just copy from others and act like its the truth, without even testing or consulting seasoned hunters.
    The first is; when you jump a rabbit, you can stop it in its tracks by whistling-REALLY??
    The second one is to pause for 20 seconds or so after youve moved into the briars or honeysuckle, and the rabbit wil become unnerved because he thinks youve spotted him and he'll bolt. Neither of these "truths" have I ever witnessed in over 60 years, How aboutyou all-believe, or don't believe?

2. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    I’ve never heard the whistling thing before.

I have heard to pause, but I naturally go slow when I’m trying to jump one so I can see where it goes to put the dogs on it.

I’ve seen a lot of folks move too fast in cover when rabbit hunting. I don’t see any benefit to moving fast through a place I suspect rabbits are holding.

3. Tankt

Tankt 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2019
    Kentucky
    I have witnessed the 2nd one several times. They will hold tighter than hell and finally jump. I have also seen them jump behind you as you walk by

KY Swamp Beagler likes this.
  4. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    I've done the second one countless times when they are sitting tight. It works

KY Swamp Beagler and Tankt like this.
  5. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Whistling works on deer, but I’ve never heard of trying it with rabbits. As for pausing, that absolutely works. Seen it happen many, many times.

KY Swamp Beagler and Tankt like this.
  6. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    Agree with the others.....2nd one is valid.

7. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    If you’ve ever seen a coyote mousing in a field you can see how pausing like you’re about ready to pounce would make a rabbit nervous and then bolt.

FOWLER2671 likes this.
  8. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 10 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    Like others I’ve seen the second work well but never heard the first. Growing up in Eastern Ky I used the walk/pause method a lot on old auger benches. Was one of the only ways to get a decent shot in those days.

9. countryboy3006

countryboy3006 6 pointer

Jan 28, 2015
    Northern KY
    I don’t know about the first but I have sent the second work several times. I like to walk and pause when I’m in thick cover. One time I was taking a break talking to a buddy and a rabbit took off that was sitting between us about 3 yards away.

10. Munson

Munson 12 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Be a good day to track em up in the snow if ya got any

11. rustyspinner21

rustyspinner21 Spike

Nov 11, 2010
    Northern Kentucky
    Well apparently tip #2 definitely works! Thanks to all of you for your replies and I will start pausing in thick briars!!

12. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Works even better in sparse cover.......