Quota hunts

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by Giveem3outdoors, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Giveem3outdoors

Giveem3outdoors 12 pointer

Jan 18, 2009
    ohio county ky
    Today's the last day to apply if anyone's interested. I never get drawn but always apply for some reason. Applied for Ballard, sloughs and Jenny hole. Been applying for quite some time never hunted any of it. From what I hear most of its not worth hunting, but i guess itd be a change of scenery if i were to get drawn. Anyone else apply?

2. HeadedWest

HeadedWest 6 pointer

Nov 22, 2016
    I've been putting in for preference the last few years...

I'm assuming you have a bunch of points saved up? I have high hopes for the future of KY's WMA's so I'm looking forward to hunting them again soon, but we have left the state the last few years for our travel hunts.

Giveem3outdoors likes this.
  3. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    I think the last time I drew Ballard it took me 3 preference points to get drawn for the days that I wanted. But you can also take any day and have a higher probability of getting drawn. I didn't even go the last time I was drawn because the weather (and hunting) was terrible. We hunted down there one time in a thunderstorm and killed ducks til quitting time.

Yall can have sloughs. I'll take my $3, go buy a cheeseburger, and get more satisfaction than a hunt there.

4. Brsutton86

Brsutton86 12 pointer

Sep 19, 2009
    Harrodsburg, KY
    I used to put in every year. I'd rather just go to ND or somewhere alike with alot of public ground and ALOT more birds. A ND trip is pretty cheap if 4 or so pitch in for fuel and house rental. My part of the house rental was like 100 more than 2 nights in a hotel in West KY. Add more for fuel and food and you can have a whole week up there. If you are within an hour of the wma then that's different I guess.

5. HeadedWest

HeadedWest 6 pointer

Nov 22, 2016

When are you headed to Id?

6. Brsutton86

Brsutton86 12 pointer

Sep 19, 2009
    Harrodsburg, KY
    Flying out Oct 22nd. Going to chase merriams that afternoon while my buddy finishes the work day. Hes gonna scout the days before and send me a pin to setup. Then its ducks in the AM, scouting pheasants and grouse in the afternoon.

7. HappyHunter

HappyHunter 8 pointer

Sep 11, 2003
    Louisville
    Results are posted. I drew Ballard Dec 14 and 15th.

Giveem3outdoors and carnivore like this.
  8. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    I got sloughs Duncan 1 and pheasants at yellowbank.

9. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    I quit putting in a few years ago. I can go to S.D. N.D. and Canada. Hunt 7 to 10 days in these places. 4 way split around 800 dollars a piece. Plus more birds to hunt. Duck Geese Quail Pheasant and Grouse. Kansas hunt this year in January first time going. Buddy went last year. Ducks Geese and Quail Pheasant. Every place we go is all private land hunting. Just about every farmer will let you hunt. Canada trip was called off this year. 2 of our guys couldn't go. So we had to back out.

Brsutton86 likes this.
  10. Tman6493

Tman6493 6 pointer

Oct 28, 2013
    Louisville
    I didn’t get drawn for any of them so I got 1 preference point for each. I even picked hunt any dates and even boat blinds. Oh well

11. Bowfinger

Bowfinger 10 pointer

Nov 3, 2015
    In a Concrete Submarine
    It’s time to make quota hunts great again. We need an electronic wall preventing all non residents from being allowed to participate. It’s no secret IN and IL flood the Sloughs and Ballard quota hunt application system. KY4KY!

I pulled a Sloughs unit for the opener. I drive a white toyata tundra with rockstar wheels and monster sticker on the back glass. If you see me stop by.

bondhu, HeadedWest and Brsutton86 like this.
  12. Giveem3outdoors

Giveem3outdoors 12 pointer

Jan 18, 2009
    ohio county ky
    I didnt get drawn like usual lol.

13. Brsutton86

Brsutton86 12 pointer

Sep 19, 2009
    Harrodsburg, KY
    If I make the drive to West KY itll be the daily draw and I'll be on the Beaver Hut. Even if I get drawn last I will be there first it's how we roll, there are ways. My favorite hole in KY to hunt. I'm sure a few on here know exactly where I'm talking about.

14. Racer78

Racer78 Fawn

Oct 5, 2019
    Murray, KY
    I finally got drawn for Ballard this year. From what I have read, you don’t know your unit until the morning of the hunt each day. Should I just go ahead and bring the boat to get to the spots or can you walk in? Also, how hard is it to find your unit in the dark? I’ve never hunted there before. Thanks for any advice

15. HeadedWest

HeadedWest 6 pointer

Nov 22, 2016
    Stumps blind?