Quota hunt results

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by Chessie202, Oct 8, 2016.

1. Chessie202

Chessie202 6 pointer

Nov 15, 2004
    Harrison Co.
    Just checked my results for the Clay farm upland hunt and we didn't get drawn again. We now have 4 preference points. If anyone got drawn let us know. I would also be curious as to how many points you had or have. We put in for any date we don't just choose one date. I thought we would have better luck by doing that. But I don't know.

2. gregcincy

gregcincy 6 pointer

Oct 4, 2002
    Cincinnati
    I got drawn second year in a row for Clay. My group didn't have any preference points. We had 3 people apply as a group. We did put in that we would take any day available.

We did get shut out of the quail hunt at Peabody and the duck hunt at Ballard so I'm up to 2 preference points on those.

I know the system is suppose the be a random draw but I'm not exactly sure how the preference points help you. My guess is that its like getting your name in the hat extra times. At the end of the day it increases your odds but it doesn't guarantee you'll get drawn.

3. Chessie202

Chessie202 6 pointer

Nov 15, 2004
    Harrison Co.
    Did you put in for the upland Quail & Grouse hunt or the pheasant hunt?

4. gregcincy

gregcincy 6 pointer

Oct 4, 2002
    Cincinnati
    I put in for the upland hunt at clay WMA. The quail hunt at Peabody. And the duck hunt at Ballard WMA. That's it. I did not put in for pheasant this year.

5. Brit's and Birds

Brit's and Birds 10 pointer

Nov 24, 2008
    Oldham County
    I was drawn for the Upland at Clay. Did not apply last year, but had the previous 2 or 3 years before that. Dont know if I lost the preference points by not applying last year as well.

On a side note, for those that have been to the Clay upland hunt before - is it worth it? Are there actually birds there or is it more like every other KY grouse hunt anymore? Are there many quail on Clay? Any input is appreciated.

6. Chessie202

Chessie202 6 pointer

Nov 15, 2004
    Harrison Co.
    An interesting thing happened. My Dad got a phone call from the dept. saying they had overlooked us somehow and we got the first hunt. The guy was very nice and apologetic. So we will be there Nov. 9. Thanks for the replies.

7. KYHunter502

KYHunter502 Fawn

Feb 9, 2016
    I got drawn for a group of 3, clay upland bird hunt, had one preference point. I have been to the pheasant hunt at green river before and enjoyed it, but this will be my first time hunting clay. I'd be interested to hear any input anyone may have on it. Are these all wild birds on the upland bird hunt or are they pen raised like the pheasant hunts? That makes a big difference as to how I'll approach this. Thanks in advance for any input.

8. 12 ga.

12 ga. Spike

Oct 24, 2003
    Frenchburg,Ky.
    has anyone killed a grouse on Clay farm in last 2 years ??????

9. Chessie202

Chessie202 6 pointer

Nov 15, 2004
    Harrison Co.
    It is a wild bird hunt, no released birds.

10. Sialia67

Sialia67 6 pointer

Sep 4, 2008
    Rowan County
    Clay still holds some grouse but not many. On a positive note, hundreds of acres of cedar and hardwoods have been harvested in the past 5 years on Clay. Those regenerating forests will soon provide more grouse habitat. These upland hunts are more about quail. Clay is a quail focus area so the coveys are there but can be difficult to find.

11. Chessie202

Chessie202 6 pointer

Nov 15, 2004
    Harrison Co.
    We hunted yesterday and found 1 covey. We also pointed 3 woodcock. Took 3 Quail and 2 woodcock. I didn't see any food plots for Quail. Just a lot of weed fields with native grasses. There were some wheat fields and clover for deer.

12. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    We got drawn for the pheasant hunt but my buddy have preference points. I don't know how many

13. uplandchessies

uplandchessies 10 pointer

Mar 20, 2002
    Florence, Ky, USA.
    I used to hunt Clay before the quota hunt. Hunted the early WMA grouse hunt, too and always flew birds. There were plenty of quail and woodcock and enough grouse to make it worthwhile and drive 2 hours from Florence. Pissed me off when it went quota and have never put in for it. Sounds like this is paying huge dividends... Not.

14. Sialia67

Sialia67 6 pointer

Sep 4, 2008
    Rowan County
    Good for you Chessie202! Those weed fields are the food plots for quail. Ragweed is the number one seed consumed by quail in Kentucky although they consume lots of different seeds. Ragweed only germinates after a disturbance like prescribed fire or disking. Clay staff have been doing a lot of both.

Chessie202 likes this.