Quota hunt bonus tag

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by kyoutdoorsman, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Chilly

Chilly 10 pointer

I've had a lot of action packed fun hunting bonus quota hunts in the past. Sure wish it was on the agenda again!

2. BULL MOOSE

BULL MOOSE 6 pointer

Dec 13, 2001
    Cartersville, GA, USA.
    No bonus tag....there is plenty of demand for current tags and success rates are not high. Those without access to private need a place or hunt too.

troy75 likes this.
  3. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    The dept knew when they changed it was to help OOS hunters get drawn. They knew landowners would most likely stop putting in for those hunts. All of the above replies shows that.

4. BULL MOOSE

BULL MOOSE 6 pointer

Dec 13, 2001
    Cartersville, GA, USA.
    I don’t see why people would stop applying for a place they love to hunt! It is only $3 to enter. Unless they have access to private and would prefer to hunt a buck they can photo, bait, name, track, etc.

I can tell you that those quota hunts have allowed me two spend about 1800 in fees, lodging, restaurants, etc. and that was for a total of 4 days hunting, but as a former KY resident of two years, I enjoy returning to the land of possibility.

Also, I am all for a point or spread restriction to protect young bucks. I am also in favor of a bonus point for killing does.....just don’t reward someone for killing a button.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    kyoutdoorsman likes this.
  5. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    Easy to see why. It’s not a bonus buck tag that’s why . Lots of guys may have used their buck tag by the time that quota hunt starts. Why waste time applying if you may not have a tag then. Like I stated it helps oos hunters. I see you’re an oos hunter. It helps guys like you but not resident landowners or guys that have leases. Most are like stated above “ not a bonus so not applying but would if bonus tags was used again”

kyoutdoorsman likes this.