Quota hunt bonus tag

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by kyoutdoorsman, Jul 29, 2019.

1. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 10 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    Can I get a poll started and if you are in favor of the quota hunt being a bonus tag system, I feel like it would raise more people to put in for the quota hunts and if they were a bonus tag, more tax money if more hunters put in for this, and also it get more hunters in the field and meet other hunters and use it as a social event, I don't think by letting the hunters use it as a bonus tag will hurt the deer count, also I think it's a good thing for these state parks to allow for hunters to come in and use crossbows for deer hunt. I'm 100 percent on board for it.

2. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    Never heard exactly why they changed it, but first hunt I was drawn for I had a bonus buck tag. Wish they still did it especially for the Dec hunts. Would suck having to decide whether to pass on a shooter for what you might (or might not) see on a quota hunt.

3. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    Our group did the quota hunts for years until they took the bonus tag away. All of our group stopped because of that. Always enjoyed those hunts. I even quit applying for LBL also. Some years I would draw a state quota and an LBL tag.

4. hunt

hunt 6 pointer

Sep 29, 2015
    The Berg
    I agree. I'm done with LBL also.

5. Muzzy Moment

Muzzy Moment 8 pointer

Sep 8, 2011
    Eastern KY
    Yea I have pretty much quit since they don’t offer a bonus tag

6. bigredhunter

bigredhunter 6 pointer

Jan 30, 2012
    Boyle County
    I also quit since they stopped the bonus tag. My guess is they stopped it so people would be more selective on what they shoot on the quota hunt. It easier to shoot a smaller buck if you know you have another buck tag for the general season.

rockhousehunter and PUBLIC RAT like this.
  7. jfiscus

jfiscus 6 pointer

Nov 19, 2013
    Kenton County
    If the point of the quota hunts is to reduce deer populations at those locations, then I do not see why thy're NOT offering the bonus tags...

littlebear and bigredhunter like this.
  8. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    Bonus buck tag is what they referring to

Teach Deer likes this.
  9. Carpdaddy

Carpdaddy 10 pointer

May 12, 2016
    Corbin, Ky
    Bring back Bonus tags!

10. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    I will second that. By all the replies it looks like most on here have stopped applying

11. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 10 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    Bring back the bonus tag, and if they do put a minimum spread like they do at some quota hunts or make it a does only hunt. If this would happen you would have more people apply,. I enjoy the quota hunts going to these locations meeting new people during the hunt and at the motel hotel or state park lodge. I think it's a great think. Do what makes the people happy not what puts a frown on there face.

littlebear likes this.
  12. T-wil69

T-wil69 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2015
    I wonder is they stopped the bonus tag so less residents would put in for it so more nonresident’s would get drawn and more nonres license’s would be purchased?

If a resident only wanted to hunt a weekend and at lbl it would cost them $74 a non resident would cost $260

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  13. HappyHunter

HappyHunter 8 pointer

Sep 11, 2003
    Louisville
    I believe one reason they did away with the bonus buck tag was that they wanted to reduce the number of applicants in order to provide firearm hunting opportunity for hunters that do not have private land to gun hunt on.

BowOnly likes this.
  14. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    That’s why I think they did it.

15. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    Not arguing on your statement but I’ve wondered about that also. Which It is not right if that is there reasoning.

16. Teach Deer

Teach Deer 6 pointer

Aug 4, 2013
    Georgetown
    Mudhole and Happy Hunter have the idea...

When people say BONUS tags...what they are REALLY saying is BONUS BUCK tag-as the BONUS doe tags went mostly unused anyway...since a lot of these WMAs are in zone 1 (unlimited does) the BONUS tag makes no sense (unless it is just the BONUS BUCK tag one is interested in)...

KDFWR saw a lot of those BONUS BUCK tags get used, mostly on 1 1/2 year old deer that the hunter would normally hold off on (in a ONE BUCK TAG system)...the idea was to improve the age structure of bucks on these public areas by allowing a few of them to grow older...

There were a lot more hunters during the BONUS tag days, so many that hunters without property to gun hunt on, often had to wait 2-3 years between hunts...by discouraging hunters (who may have already harvested a buck) from taking those spots, it better allowed the department to meet the need of the property-less hunter...