Quitting smoking

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Bullfries, Jul 12, 2009.

1. ricky280

ricky280 Fawn

Dec 29, 2008
    The Lane, KY
    After smoking for nearly 30 yrs I quit 13 yrs ago cold turkey, never tried to quit before,just made up my mind I was done.

2. Fat Tony

Fat Tony 12 pointer

May 15th marked my 5 year anniversary after smoking for 21 years.

Was about a pack and a half to two pack a day guy at the end. Quit cold turkey. Have never had a drag since. Never used a patch or any medicine.

What worked for me? My oldest son started freaking out that daddy was going to die a slow and painful death from cancer so I sought to blow him off by promising to quit by his next B-Day. Birthday rolled around and the (then) seven year old comes up to me and asks for my pack and my lighter and says "You promised..." Crap../

Couple things. It sucks. If you want it to be easy, you are in trouble.

You really gotta want to quit. Has to be a priority for you. Get mints or chewing gum. Helps having something to gnaw on. I stayed away from coffee and friends that smoked for those first couple of weeks as well. Stay away from "triggers."

Don't think quitting means you'll never stop wanting one or thinking about them. I still have cravings all these years later. Just don't give in.

3. C.L.Button

C.L.Button 12 pointer

Jan 27, 2005
    Derby City Jungle
    I just quit one day. Threw them away and never looked back.

4. I quit drinking and smoking the same day. Last day of March 1996. Not had one since and only three beers since then too. I smoked 3 packs a day and smoked Non-filter camels. I went to the Dr. and he gave me the patches. (At that time you had to have a perscription) My mind was set, just let the patches give me a little physical assistance. Someone made the comment of being "Weak" for using some form of aid????? That's about the same as saying your weak if you get medical attention for and ilness. If we were strong minded enough to will away all problems and addictions, heck, we wouldn't need any Dr's. lol I'll never forget being in the breakroom at work with an ex-coworker and him telling me how much dang money those patches cost and blah blah blah. Now, he still smokes and gues who is out ahead on the cash now???????:D

5. trader rob

trader rob 8 pointer

Apr 5, 2004
    ne ky..
    the zyban is prescription. don't worry about all the drama, it ain't how you quit, it is about if and when. you can do it, if you want to.

i sure liked tobacco, in most any form, but i hated the thought i was getting whipped by a cigarette.

good luck.

6. Buford

Buford 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Zone 1 bachelor heaven
    havent had a smokey treat in 2.5 years. Damn I miss them little basturds.
    Snus has helped me enjoy a much less harmful nicotine delivery system.

7. Quickdraw Limpsalot

Quickdraw Limpsalot 12 pointer

Sep 16, 2005
    Larue Co.
    Cold turkey, will power, and a fiance that just won't have it!

You have to have a darn good reason to WANT to quit or it's just temporary, whatever method you use. You WILL want one again at some point. I want one all the time and I haven't smoked for 2.5 years.

8. lady estrus

lady estrus 6 pointer

Aug 31, 2008
    Ky
    Wellbutrin works also and is a perscription. I used it and quit for 3 months and for some stupid reason I started back. Going to get more and this time quit for good. Most insurance companies will not pay for zyban or wellbutrin if the dr. writes it as being used for smoking. Mine wont pay for anything related to smoking, not even the dr visit. I know at wal-mart here if your insurance doesnt pay any it cost $75.00 for a 30 day supply. Good Luck guys!:)

9. I have never wanted one after near 14 years. And my will power came from me not wanting my kids to come home from school and find their dad died of a heart attack. as I found out at the age of 14.

10. CRFoster68

CRFoster68 8 pointer

Jan 7, 2009
    Fort Thomas
    If you have kids that should be all you need

11. deepfryum

deepfryum 6 pointer

Feb 26, 2008
    shelby co. ky
    I smoked for 16 years. I quite but it was not cold turkey and I did not use any drugs or patches. I used sunflower seeds. The last 2 years of that 16 I was trying to quite. then one day just realized I had not had a cig for awhile and never picked one up again. I dont have cravings very often but I still get them.

12. treerat

treerat 12 pointer

Nov 8, 2004
    Hickory KY
    i had stopped for 8 years until about 3 years go i found out my liver was destroyed,,,so of course the nerves took over and i started back up,,,

13. Daub

Daub 6 pointer

Jul 8, 2008
    Flaherty, Kentucky
    September will be 2 years for me and my wife. She smoked 2 packs a day and I smoked and dripped. We use Chantex worked great for us. Now I use Smokey Mountain dip. No tobacco and no nicotine, just a habit. Hope you make it.

14. DT28

DT28 6 pointer

Mar 1, 2009
    Fairdale, KY
    I made the decision that I was going to quit last night. It's been 12 hours and 10 minutes. Hasn't been to bad so far, but 6 hours of that I was alseep...hahaha I'm determined that I'm gonna make it stick this time. Cold turkey and will power

15. 7mmx2

7mmx2 12 pointer

Nov 8, 2007
    KY
    Good luck and keep strong!!!