Quick Question About an Idea

bullet225ho

6 pointer
Oct 25, 2004
Crooked Creek
Hi all.

I want to run something by all of your real quick. This is the day of technology and we are all here on the internet communicating.

In this new day of Smart Phones...PDA's and all other mobile devices that we all use. If there were a product that included a very very small Transmitter (say the size of a 9V battery) that could be mounted to an object or into an object (say treestand, trail cam, ATV) or anything else of value. and a program that could be loaded onto your current smart phone or PDA (if you have one) and also a website to log into to track this device. And this program could be set to alert you with a text message and email when your transmitter is moved say more than 6 feet.

Would anybody be interested in this for a very minimal price?

Just kicking the idea around. Thinking we may have a very useful item here to not really prevent theft....but recover items and put thieves in their place.

TripleGee

12 pointer
Sep 13, 2003
Somerset
I explored this same idea for last 1.5 years. Here's the following problems that are encounterd; power supply not sufficient for duration of need, once word is out, thieves will locate and remove the device unless you can make it a part of the asset to be protected, the range of the signal from the device is weak and phone reception will be spotty at best "in the woods", the cost per unit to make it doable using GPS tech would put it into the hundreds of dollars which is not too feasible for most folks,myself included.

There is a new technology using barcodes to locate and inventory assets in hospitals and such,as well as on pallets of goods leaving factories. When the power supply that will increase the range of the signal is improved and made permanent, then this may be the way to go. However, if you have invented such a device, please let me know as I would like to discuss this at length.

killinmammals

12 pointer
Nov 6, 2005
In a VAN, DOWN BY THE RIVER!
sounds good but would it be cost effective?
more than likely not, by the time you could figure out that your stand was gone, the theif would probably destroy the small device leaving you out from the device and what they stole...good idea but don't see it really doing much good. Heck, with the tracking they can do on some new stolen vehilces by the time it is tracked down the car is completly torn down with no theif in sight.

We-Todd-Did

Spike
Dec 27, 2007
How does Lowjack work? Is it radio or cellular? I guess that unit would be powered by the car battery so it doesnt have a power problem.

philipfleek

12 pointer
Feb 24, 2008
philville, KY
Close, they have trail cams out that can transmit the photos eliminating the need to go visit your cameras.
That would be tooo cool, sit here at home and watch your trail, naw don't feel like going today, sitting here with coffee and sausage egg biscuit. WHAT THE dang i should have gone!!!!!!:cool: thats MONEY!!!!!!!!!

jarhedhntr

10 pointer
Apr 20, 2005
Richmond
Probably thought of it but this device would need to be resistant to the elements. Even in tubing of a stand or under a hood, moisture, heat and other things can really mess with the performance of a electronic device.

Latest posts