Questions about this type of deal...

Discussion in 'Fish & Wildlife Questions' started by TripleGee, Oct 26, 2018.

1. TripleGee

TripleGee 12 pointer

Sep 13, 2003
    Somerset
    So, looking at Pulaski Co. PVA site and noticed 617 acres of land referred to as a partnership between two local guys and the USA NRCS of the US Dept of Agriculture. Now, this was pure government land but in 2014 it looks like this father/son duo bought the land for $385,809.
    It's evidently legal but I was wanting to know if the general poor public can still hunt this land? This type of deal was done in the past in the same general area also but, I got to wondering if all our public land can be bought up through these little known loopholes/deals/etc?

2. TripleGee

TripleGee 12 pointer

Sep 13, 2003
    Somerset
    Well, I drove past the entire length of the land today and it's posted. Plus, someone is building a pond and building up on top on reclaimed mining land. Oh well.

3. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Is $625/acre the market value? That seems cheap anywhere.

4. TripleGee

TripleGee 12 pointer

Sep 13, 2003
    Somerset
    May have friends in high places...

5. KYT

KYT 8 pointer

May 3, 2008
    Eastern Ky.
    Rather than speculate what went on, there is no problem with going to the NRCS office and asking the supervisor about it. Be prepared to identify the exact tract of land so it can be looked up. There should be supporting documents that detail all the particulars.
    I can tell you, most public land cannot be bought. It would be interesting to learn what transpired in this case. It may be as simple as they did not buy it from NRCS. You can get farm loans through the Farm Service Agency . Maybe they got a gov't loan to buy private property that the NRCS had an ongoing cooperative project on.