Question re: Residency

Discussion in 'Fish & Wildlife Questions' started by shaman, Oct 31, 2018.

1. shaman

shaman 8 pointer

Jul 20, 2004
    Neave, KY, USA.
    I'm planning on retiring to Kentucky. My youngest son is planning on moving there as well. Right now, we're all living in Ohio. I have property and a house in Kentucky, but we don't live there on a regular basis. We don't claim to be residents, and we buy non-resident tags and licenses.

My question is this: At what point after moving to KY do we become residents for purposes of buying tags and licenses?

2. baknblack

baknblack 10 pointer

Jan 30, 2014
    Mt Washington
    Just a guess but, I'd say from the moment you get your drivers license changed and can prove it to an officer.

bondhu and pentail like this.
  3. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    I think you have to live there 6 months

4. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    As soon as your license and mailing address change. If that’s not the rule...the rule should be changed.

5. shaman

shaman 8 pointer

Jul 20, 2004
    Neave, KY, USA.
    Since we're talking theories, mine is this. I'm probably not going to want to move in the winter. It'll be spring or summer when I move. I'll be living in Ohio when the new licenses become available in March. I'll by a non-resident license and turkey tags. In August, I'll have just moved in, and not been able to show proof of residency long enough, so I'll have to buy non-resident deer tags. However, by the next March, I'll have resided at the new residence for 9-10 months and I'll be able to live out the rest of my life as a landowner in the Commonwealth. My son, will be living elsewhere, but he'll probably be doing about the same thing.

I'm just looking for confirmation.

6. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

I believe you are correct.

7. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    How would a CO know if you have not been a resident for 6 mo? They look at the hunting liscence, harvest log, maybe your driver liscence and hunter ed card.

8. GentlemanHunter

GentlemanHunter Spike

Aug 10, 2017
    Fayette County
    "Resident" means any person who has established permanent domicile and legal residence and has resided in this state for thirty (30) days immediately prior to his application for a license. All other persons shall be classed as nonresidents, except students enrolled for at least six (6) months in an educational institution as full-time students and military personnel of the United States who are under permanent assignment, shall be classified as residents while so enrolled or assigned in this state;

9. shaman

shaman 8 pointer

Jul 20, 2004
    Neave, KY, USA.
    So quite possibly, if I bought my non-resident license in March along with my non-resident tag for turkeyand then I moved in July, I wouldn't even have to by another tag for a deer hunt in October, since I'd be covered under the landowner provisions of the law. This is sounding better than I thought.

Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
    pentail likes this.
  10. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    If you are buying a non resident license and turkey tag in the spring your deer tags would cost the same for a resident or non resident. No sense in buying a new resident license when your non resident will be good. You have to live here for 6 months to be considered a resident.

Dark Cloud likes this.
  11. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    the hunting regs are your friend.

12. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers 10 pointer

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville
    I am planning on changing my license next year from Indiana to Kentucky but will be physicaly living in Indiana still. Then in May of 2020 moving down there full time. I will have mail and utilities, truck, trailer and boat registered already in KY by the end of 2019.

13. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Just curious where it says you need to reside within the state 6 months to be considered a resident. If your mailing address and drivers license is in Kentucky....how aren’t you a resident at that point?

14. BODAB1

BODAB1 Spike

Apr 13, 2012
    This is verbatim from the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife web site. "A resident is any person who has established permanent domicile and legal residence, and has resided in Kentucky for 30 days prior to buying a license, full-time students enrolled in an educational institution for at least six months, or military service personnel on permanent assignment in Kentucky."

15. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    That is the requirement for hunting as a resident landowner in Kentucky.