Question on boat lisense

Discussion in 'Fish & Wildlife Questions' started by FowlerHowler, Feb 18, 2008.

1. FowlerHowler

FowlerHowler 8 pointer

Jan 10, 2005
    Wigeasy
    I just bought a boat from a guy in Alabama. He told me that they dont have to lisense their boats down there. It does however have some kind of permit on it from AL. The guy gave me the bill of sale and all of that good stuff. If I took it out this coming weekend with the bill of sale and all of that just to see how the motor and boat run, would this be illegal? I am thinkin that it is and I need to get it lisensed first, but A friend said I would be fine. I just dont want to break the law.

2. chucky

chucky 8 pointer

Dec 27, 2007
    lexington
    Yes you have to license it and get your stickers for the sides.

3. RutNBuck

RutNBuck 12 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    Northern Ky
    i'd say yes you have to get it licensed
    HOWEVER wonder if there is like a 10-30 day grace period to get it done
    if so then you would be ok

4. EAST KY ENCORE

EAST KY ENCORE 6 pointer

Nov 15, 2006
    Hills of Eastern Ky
    I am pretty sure that you have a grace period...

5. BOBCAT

BOBCAT 6 pointer

Jan 28, 2004
    MADISONVILLE, KY, USA.
    15 Day Grace Period As Long As You Got A Title And Bill Of Sale

I Work At The Boatman In Owensboro And That Is What Our Title Clerk Told Me;)

6. FowlerHowler

FowlerHowler 8 pointer

Jan 10, 2005
    Wigeasy
    Thnak you bob, But what if the state I bought it from did not require titles? But i do have the bill of sale.

7. BOBCAT

BOBCAT 6 pointer

Jan 28, 2004
    MADISONVILLE, KY, USA.
    Call The County Clerks Office To Be Sure, .........................we Believe The Bill Of Sale Should Be Ok For The First Fifteen Days, But It Would Not Be A Bad Idea To Apply To The County Clerk For A Title To The Boat When You Register It

1-270-821-7361 Hopkins Co Court Clerk

8. GameW

GameW Fawn

Feb 13, 2008
    Kentucky
    15 days to get licensed. Then you will be cited. As far as a title you will need one to get your registration and licenses. Go to clerks office like you do when you buy a used vehicle.

9. chucky

chucky 8 pointer

Dec 27, 2007
    lexington
    If i am not mistaken the grace period is from the time you purchase the boat. If you bought it 3 weeks ago then you will need to license it.

10. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    Will the bill of sale cover a brand new boat for 15 days as well? If I have to wait for the title before being licensed and registered it may be weeks before I get to test drive it to make sure there are no bugs in the system. :confused: