Question not answered

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by Birdman, May 26, 2002.

1. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    Valley did you ever get an answer of your trapping license question and if so what want was it.

2. Valley Station

Valley Station Cyber-Hunter

Since about mid March, there have only been a couple of F&W persons responding to questions. Mostly CSS and Warden310.
    There surely must be some "logical reason" for discouraging people from trapping, by absurd price of $17.50!
    As quiet as things got, you would have thought I had questioned someone about having sex with his first cousin.

3. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.
    Most states finance their annual budgets on the backs of the non-residents, by outlandish prices for those licenses and permits. So far, Kentucky hasn't done that yet, probably because most of those in the high places are not Kentucky born and bred and have outside interests in keeping the prices affordable. By contast, they have no problem with hitting the resident with periotic rate increases, which is way this license is where it's at as far as price. When one goes up, the rest follow suit.

4. Valley Station

Valley Station Cyber-Hunter

Multi ,

Ky Dept of Fish and Wildlife Resources, an agency in the Tourism Cabinet of Ky State Goverment......

Do you think the above statement has anything to do with the cost of non-resident licenses?? At the expense of residents??

5. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    Let me throw in some info on the, "Ky Dept of Fish and Wildlife Resources, an agency in the Tourism Cabinet of Ky State Goverment......". <font size=4><b>YOU CAN BET YOUR LAST DOLLAR IT IS!!!</b></font id=size4>
    At the last Federation meeting of the LKS we were told by our commision member that the Department would not be seeking any charges on WMA's because they would get pressure from the DEPARTMENT OF TOURISM.
    Go Figure!?
    I am trying to get a resolution passed by the LKS that would require everyone using a WMA to purchase a usage permit that would cost the same as a hunting or fishing liscense. <i>The only people that would not be required to buy one would be the people that have bought a hunting or fishing liscense.</i> Imagine that! The Dept actually tapping into ANOTHER source of income, not increasing expenses (since they are using them now and we are paying for it) AND giving the sportsmen of the state a break!!!
    Before you hurt a finger replying that I am trying to create a WMA user fee like most states, I am NOT. I am trying to create a fee that is paid ONLY by those that truely freeload off the WMAs, that are paid for by sportsmen.
    But remember, it won't happen because of "tourism"!!!

6. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    Valley our out of state license went up this year to $110.00 I think,
    it could have been more.I had a fiend from Minn.down for turkey season
    that uaually comes for grouse hunting the last time he was
    down
    he payed $95.00 for out of state license. When I go up there I pay $61.00. I'm not sure why our license fee keeps rising but I'll try and find out June 2nd Tom will be at our federation meeting in the 7th district. If you can come on over it should be interesting.

7. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.
    Birdman, first of all you need to compare apples to apples. For that $95, he's licensed for the year. He only has to buy his tags to come back in and deer hunt or turkey hunt some more. Examples of gouging are many, but most everybody charges more for two turkeys and all game hunting for a year. Most states have trip licenses that can off set some of the high prices, if you only want to go once. Check out the price in Indiana for one turkey. Others are as bad.

More and more every year we see that the Dept. is after the dollar. The elk lottery is a prime example. Basically selling 12 elk for the funds to continue the program. With dismal sales this year on the elk permits, we'll likely see more price increases somewhere down the line. But it won't be aimed at the non-resident.

8. rlb165

rlb165 12 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    http://www.fieldandstream.com/fieldstream/conservation/article/0,13199,217086.html

Here's an article on this subject.

Edited by - rlb165 on 05/28/2002 8:54:27 PM

9. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    Thanks RBL,
    Very good article.
    Hope the part about "Ignoring the Obvious", helps explain my first post.

10. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    RLB I read that a while back very good article. There was another one and I want to think in the same magazine about young biologist trying to make a name for theirself. The interview was with a retired biologist that made the statement (we know how to take care of the problems from studies done in the past, they just won't use them.) Evidently this is how biologist moves up and makes the big bucks.